Automated Spread Betting

About IGs dealthru charts

Maybe in the future they can add a option to use alerts from backtesting to send orders automatically :smart:

(alerts is shown in realtime when a backtested strategy goes on forward test)

Yes this can be done via Excel. I've spent the last few months building a macro which will interact with a broker interface, copy and paste prices into excel to work out when to trade etc. It executes, monitors and exits trades also.

It's hard to do, and it doesn't work with brokers with Java interfaces... but it is working for me right now and generating a good return with a zero error rate from the macro itself.

I did however set aside a few hundred pounds for running dummy trades through the tool but made it back pretty quick.

Anyone else tried this?

Yes this can be done via Excel. I've spent the last few months building a macro which will interact with a broker interface, copy and paste prices into excel to work out when to trade etc. It executes, monitors and exits trades also.

It's hard to do, and it doesn't work with brokers with Java interfaces... but it is working for me right now and generating a good return with a zero error rate from the macro itself.

May I ask, which spread-betting company have you managed to get this working with?

I did however set aside a few hundred pounds for running dummy trades through the tool but made it back pretty quick.

Anyone else tried this?

Blimey, you must be a programmer by profession? This sounds v tricky.

The interface between Amibroker and IB is ok for low-level automation, i.e. don't try anything too high frequency.

May I ask, which spread-betting company have you managed to get this working with?

IG, hoping to try it on other brokers soon, but as more of them move to full java interfaces it becomes more difficult. With this broker I have had to resort to using an older browser version.

Incidentally could anyone tell me of any other brokers which have simple interface that you could effectively copy and paste data into excel? City Index for one does not work.

Blimey, you must be a programmer by profession? This sounds v tricky.

I was... but moved away from it a few years back. Still has been a fun little project to build up over the past 6 months.

Haven't got it to calculate any TA indicators as yet but I think that could be done relatively easily from where I am right now.

I was... but moved away from it a few years back. Still has been a fun little project to build up over the past 6 months.

Haven't got it to calculate any TA indicators as yet but I think that could be done relatively easily from where I am right now.

Sounds like you should have a look at SLM. If you can do all that stuff with Excel and cobbling it together with an old browser and get it to work, I'd have thought you'd find the MT4 interface fairly straightforward. An advantage is that they have permanent (?) small starting bet sizes, so you could experiment at low cost.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried them live yet, but probably will do.

Ok - I've tackled this same question.

The only Spread Betting (UK) company I know of with an API is GFTuk.com. I find their business model and spreads to be better than the others (and no, I don't work for them).

They have two APIs, one in Java and one which is a COM component. I've used C# to stitch their Java based API to Neuroshell and back. Works well.

Hi Stew,

Ok - I've tackled this same question.

The only Spread Betting (UK) company I know of with an API is GFTuk.com.

OK - I've only just stumbled across this thread. I've tackled this same question too. I know of two more UK SBs with APIs. FXCM and Smart Live. I can't speak for their business models however!

Cheers,

Surfing Jim

Anyone else tried this?

Sounds excellent, Did you use a screen scraper?