As New York session winds down

ramrob

I know that as NY session winds down the Australian and Japan markets are opening. What I've noticed is there is not nearly as much volatility during these hours. Does anybody here trade during these hours, or maybe specialize in trading these hours? This is the best time for me to trade because I live on NY time and work/school during the day so i can come home in the evening and look at charts and set ups.

However one would think there would be a lot more liquidity during this time because isn't Beijing opening around this time as well?

If I had my druthers I would live in the South Pacific somewhere and trade the UK open at about 5 pm. That'd be great since i'm such a night owl anyway:drunk:

Anybody?

The issue with the NY/Asia hand-off is that sometimes there's a little overlap and sometimes there's a gap thanks to the two hour swing for Daylight Savings. Also keep in mind that Asia opens in stages. The big centers (Tokyo, Syndey, Hong Kong, Singapore) aren't in the same timezone. And Beijing isn't one of those major centers, by the way.

And Beijing isn't one of those major centers, by the way.

Thanks, I learn something new everyday. Considering how many traders must be in asia one would think there would be an explosion in activity during the hong kong opening.

You might consider to change your approach.What you could do is to take longer term trades.You would have less trades than day trading can offer.This would enable you to spare less time glued to your screen.Also you would be able to shortly check what is going on in the morning before work and may be open a position if there is a chance to do so.In the evening when you have more time you could check what is going on and try to get a picture what might happen.Opportunities take time to form on bigger time frames and you would be watching them if you would do longer term trading.So if you see in the evening that opportunity might be forming you could be able to enter the trade in the morning.
If you are eager to trade during Asian session you could trade crosses of JPY,AUD,NZD as i think that they produce trading chances during Asian session.
Cheers,
VTK

You might consider to change your approach.What you could do is to take longer term trades.You would have less trades than day trading can offer.This would enable you to spare less time glued to your screen.Also you would be able to shortly check what is going on in the morning before work and may be open a position if there is a chance to do so.In the evening when you have more time you could check what is going on and try to get a picture what might happen.Opportunities take time to form on bigger time frames and you would be watching them if you would do longer term trading.So if you see in the evening that opportunity might be forming you could be able to enter the trade in the morning.
If you are eager to trade during Asian session you could trade crosses of JPY,AUD,NZD as i think that they produce trading chances during Asian session.
Cheers,
VTK

you're absolutely right. I have been realizing this slowly, but it makes so much sense to me lately i haven't been even looking at anything under the 1hr TF. I think once college begins on the 20th of jan i will be forced to take this approach :check out the dailys and hourlys in the morning before class and at various times through out the day.

It's funny because most of my best trades are when i've been staring at a 5min all night and finally i say something like "f*** it! I don't care what happens i'm going to bed." I'll leave the position open, with a stop of course, and by morning my initial analysis was correct and i'll be up on the trade with much greater reward than i aniticipated. go figure.

~ramrob