Anyone know who said?

PKFFW

Established member
Hi all,

I remember reading an article once and some guy in it said something like the following.....

"Time in the market is like radiation......the longer you are exposed the more risk there is"

Does that ring a bell to anyone? Anyone know who said this? Even better does anyone remember the article?

Cheers,
PKFFW

I remember reading an article once and some guy in it said something like the following.....
"Time in the market is like radiation......the longer you are exposed the more risk there is"
Does that ring a bell to anyone? Anyone know who said this? Even better does anyone remember the article?
Hi PKFFW,
The article may have been my 'Trading Plan Template' which can be found in the K'Lab in the First Steps section. In it, I said the following - to be found in section 10. Risk & Money Management, Page 16:

10.2 What is Your Attitude Towards Risk?
This may seem an odd question, but it is a good starting point to ensure that your feelings about risk are compatible with your trading style. David S. Nassar, in his book ‘How to Get Started in Electronic Day Trading’ has this to offer on the subject: “Think of the stock market as a nuclear reactor – the more you are exposed to radiation the greater the chance of getting burned. Market risk is measured by the amount of time you are in the market. It could be seconds, minutes, hours, days or weeks. The longer you are in the market the greater the chance something will go wrong. Therefore, the trading style that keeps you in the longest can also be the most risky”. Many traders will totally disagree with this and feel much happier and sleep better at night by holding medium to long-term positions. For them, trading momentum plays in volatile Nasdaq stocks intraday carries far too much risk.

Is this what you had in mind?
Tim.

Thanks Timsk that's where I read it.

What's your thoughts on Nasser's book? Worth a read or not?

Cheers,
PKFFW

What's your thoughts on Nasser's book? Worth a read or not?
In its day it was a 'Business Best-seller' but that was 1999. It's now out of date in some respects and, as implied in the title, its focus is on U.S. equities - especially Nasdaq. If this is your market it might be worth a read, although I would imagine there are books published more recently that are just as good - if not better.
Tim.