No Stop-Loss System

This is a discussion on No Stop-Loss System within the Trading Systems forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by trendie SN: yes, I have been here since 2004, but no, rejected grids because of all the ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:23am   #16
 
shadowninja's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
Re: No Stop-Loss System

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendie View Post
SN: yes, I have been here since 2004, but no, rejected grids because of all the reasons stated. The idea of adding to losers and holding on never appealed. But surely the flip-side, adding only to winners, would reverse the notion, resulting in near-term losses, and longer-term account-growing?
I was purely talking about not using stops.
__________________
The markets can stay solvent longer than you can stay irrational.
shadowninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 1:26pm   #17
Joined Jan 2009
Re: No Stop-Loss System

It's usually worth testing all commonly held beliefs with historical data. Some truisms are borne out by stats, some are revealed to be bogus. E.g. always move your stop to breakeven when you can simply doesn't work over time (according to my analysis). The trend is your friend - this one does seem to help.

The problem with trying to backtest with no stops is that it's impossible to know what percentage of your account you're risking. I've tried removing stops with a couple of my systems (just betting a fixed amount each time) and the results are not particularly encouraging. You will make money sometimes, but in the long run it's not overly profitable, i.e. expectancy is close to zero.

Another saying is "cut your losses, run your winners".. this rule does hold up well in testing, so my conclusion for the moment is that trading without stops is statistically ineffective.
meanreversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: SvenFoster
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:24pm   #18
 
Rossini's Avatar
Joined May 2008
Re: No Stop-Loss System

I don't use stop losses as such when swing trading or trading over a fairly long TF. I find them a pain tbh.

I think its widely accepted that not using stops increases profitability, but eventually that one trade will cause you to blow up. So I use a strategy that enables me to exit with hopefully and usually (small) losses without having to use a SL. Having said that regardless of whether its day trading or longer term stuff I always enter a disaster stop to protect me in the event of a market crash, or if the first system should for whatever reason fail.
__________________
Do, or do not, there is no such thing as try.
__________________
I'm easily pleased with perfection, and if trading is an art, then I'm painting my masterpiece.
__________________
If the margin between your goal and failure is too small then any shortfall will inevitably lead to failure.
It's far better to aim high because if you don't quite achieve your ambition you may very well be left with something worthwhile.

__________________
Rossini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:47pm   #19
 
Rossini's Avatar
Joined May 2008
Re: No Stop-Loss System

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanreversion View Post
It's usually worth testing all commonly held beliefs with historical data. Some truisms are borne out by stats, some are revealed to be bogus. E.g. always move your stop to breakeven when you can simply doesn't work over time (according to my analysis). The trend is your friend - this one does seem to help.

The problem with trying to backtest with no stops is that it's impossible to know what percentage of your account you're risking. I've tried removing stops with a couple of my systems (just betting a fixed amount each time) and the results are not particularly encouraging. You will make money sometimes, but in the long run it's not overly profitable, i.e. expectancy is close to zero.

Another saying is "cut your losses, run your winners".. this rule does hold up well in testing, so my conclusion for the moment is that trading without stops is statistically ineffective.
Good post.

Removing all kinds of SL's will obviously make it very tricky to calculate the total risk on any one trade, but if one is using a crash stop then you can at least work out in a disaster situation what % of your account you will lose.

Also you will have the knowledge of your average loss without using a SL and some kind of conservative position sizing formula could be used with this information.
__________________
Do, or do not, there is no such thing as try.
__________________
I'm easily pleased with perfection, and if trading is an art, then I'm painting my masterpiece.
__________________
If the margin between your goal and failure is too small then any shortfall will inevitably lead to failure.
It's far better to aim high because if you don't quite achieve your ambition you may very well be left with something worthwhile.

__________________
Rossini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:58pm   #20
 
SvenFoster's Avatar
Joined Dec 2003
Re: No Stop-Loss System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossini View Post
Good post.

Removing all kinds of SL's will obviously make it very tricky to calculate the total risk on any one trade, but if one is using a crash stop then you can at least work out in a disaster situation what % of your account you will lose.

Also you will have the knowledge of your average loss without using a SL and some kind of conservative position sizing formula could be used with this information.
I think thats even more so with stop and reverse type systems that are always in the market or use the inverse signal to liquidate and reverse. Often you'll have to base your position size on somekind of historical stats.

When it comes to manual/discretionary trading I think as long as you understand your risk you should do whatever sits comfortably with you. No point in putting SL on if it messes with your head, esp if your happier with less leverage and managing exits yourself
__________________
Can't get motiviated.
SvenFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Rossini
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:25pm   #21
Joined Jan 2009
Re: No Stop-Loss System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossini View Post
I don't use stop losses as such when swing trading or trading over a fairly long TF. I find them a pain tbh.

I think its widely accepted that not using stops increases profitability, but eventually that one trade will cause you to blow up. So I use a strategy that enables me to exit with hopefully and usually (small) losses without having to use a SL. Having said that regardless of whether its day trading or longer term stuff I always enter a disaster stop to protect me in the event of a market crash, or if the first system should for whatever reason fail.
Am I missing something here? You have an exit strategy which enables you to exit with small losses, and in addition you have a disaster stop.. how is this trading without stops :-)
meanreversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:56pm   #22
 
Rossini's Avatar
Joined May 2008
Re: No Stop-Loss System

Because im not relying on stops to get me out with a loss. Which is different to a strat that frequently uses stops to exit positions.
__________________
Do, or do not, there is no such thing as try.
__________________
I'm easily pleased with perfection, and if trading is an art, then I'm painting my masterpiece.
__________________
If the margin between your goal and failure is too small then any shortfall will inevitably lead to failure.
It's far better to aim high because if you don't quite achieve your ambition you may very well be left with something worthwhile.

__________________
Rossini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:58pm   #23
Joined Apr 2010
Re: No Stop-Loss System

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanreversion View Post
It's usually worth testing all commonly held beliefs with historical data. Some truisms are borne out by stats, some are revealed to be bogus. E.g. always move your stop to breakeven when you can simply doesn't work over time (according to my analysis). The trend is your friend - this one does seem to help.

The problem with trying to backtest with no stops is that it's impossible to know what percentage of your account you're risking. I've tried removing stops with a couple of my systems (just betting a fixed amount each time) and the results are not particularly encouraging. You will make money sometimes, but in the long run it's not overly profitable, i.e. expectancy is close to zero.

Another saying is "cut your losses, run your winners".. this rule does hold up well in testing, so my conclusion for the moment is that trading without stops is statistically ineffective.

I have to agree with you. Stops not only dictate how much a trader will lose but also how much a trader will make using a method with a positive expectancy.

A stop is just one end of the trade parameter, without sounding too obvious, the target the other. The full range of the trade parameter, ie stop to exit should fit inside the volatility range preferred by the trader, otherwise the trade parameters are too big.

No trader can seriously trade with just targets.
kimo'sabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017, 8:55am   #24
Joined Apr 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendie View Post
I am fascinated by systems developed by people that have no stop-losses.
I have been googling grid-trading style systems.

I am curious to deconstruct such ideas. The basic idea seems to be to take small gains, and let losing trades accumulate until price returns and they can be closed out for BE or a gain. (eventually)

Are they simply a reflection of peoples inability to accept the fact they are wrong??
Are grid-trading systems fundamentally flawed?

I know that overnight charges can affect the end-result. Aren't there conditions where the overnight charge is positive, ie, you are paid? Could you construct a grid-trading system where losing trades result in the trader being paid positive interest charges?

I am a curious orange.

EDIT: being a trend-follower, I am inclined to add to winning positions. (although none of my rules use this facility)

What If:
We used Point and Figure as a starting point. A 30-pip box size. 3-box reversals. What if we added to each new box, ie, every 30 pips. but didn't close and reverse direction unless there was a 90 pip (30pip box times 3 box reversal) change of direction?
That is, the market would need to move 90 pips to change direction, but once changed, you add a new trade every 30 pips it moves in your favour???
This way, you are adding to positions in the direction of the trend, adding to winning direciton, rather than adding to losers??

I am thinking too much aren't I??
I use options in place of stops.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trad...g-options.html
foroom lluzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stop loss vs Guaranteed Stop loss FormulaOneFan Spread Betting & CFDs 26 Jan 22, 2014 6:49pm
What's your stop loss? JeffreyLin Futures & Options 23 May 4, 2010 5:02pm
How to place day Stop loss orders when using an intraday system ectrader24 Trading Software 0 Jan 26, 2010 9:46am
Stop profit/stop loss inconsistency ae589 Spread Betting & CFDs 0 Feb 8, 2008 3:41pm
fixed stop loss vs. a trailing stop reactor Psychology, Risk & Money Management 7 Jul 14, 2003 12:54pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)