Holding Bag & Not Immediately Cutting Losses

This is a discussion on Holding Bag & Not Immediately Cutting Losses within the Trading Systems forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by barjon The problem with “holding onto the bag” is that it often works out just fine, particularly ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:55am   #9

5 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
MiniBagTrading started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
The problem with “holding onto the bag” is that it often works out just fine, particularly if you have been trading in a bull market (as you have been doing). The trouble with that is that it only takes one or two not to work out and the losses build up until they have undone many months of carefully husbanded gains.

Brumby is being very kind when he says your strategy might become more problematic. An account killer I’d say
Would certainly agree here to an extent. If I were to continually average down, a couple “bags” could blow up my account. But with the starting positions at such a relatively low fraction of my brokerage account, they could theoretically go to $0.00 (yikes) and while that would be brutal, it would only be responsible for a small percentage of my overall holdings. The hope is the consistent success outside of those few bad eggs will far more than outweigh them.
MiniBagTrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:03am   #10

Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBagTrading View Post
Would certainly agree here to an extent. If I were to continually average down, a couple “bags” could blow up my account. But with the starting positions at such a relatively low fraction of my brokerage account, they could theoretically go to $0.00 (yikes) and while that would be brutal, it would only be responsible for a small percentage of my overall holdings. The hope is the consistent success outside of those few bad eggs will far more than outweigh them.
I know you won't be persuaded, so be very careful. Particularly so when the market turns. Come back on here in a year or two and see if you still think the same.
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:34pm   #11

Joined Mar 2004
What are you trading ?
Me
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:29pm   #12

5 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
MiniBagTrading started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
What are you trading ?
Primarily US stocks. Haven’t focused specifically on any particular sector.
MiniBagTrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Pat494
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:49pm   #13

Joined Jul 2017
Very dangerous game, you'll end up holding 10 stocks and no cash for years, it's just a question of when it's going to happen...

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:14pm   #14
Joined Oct 2015
Kenny Glick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBagTrading View Post
.. someone who doesn’t exit a losing day trade and cut his/her losses is a “bagholder” ...
Kenny is a funny guy and has some advice for those tempted to put losing trades in the "bag". An interesting video anyway with a few trading insights - Glick style..

Last edited by Kaeso; Apr 14, 2018 at 11:25pm.
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote