Trust your Gut?

This is a discussion on Trust your Gut? within the Trading Systems forums, part of the Methods category; Making trading decisions is not a simple game. Besides data analysis, many would rely on their Intuitions. I have a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:00pm   #1

5 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Trust your Gut?

Making trading decisions is not a simple game. Besides data analysis, many would rely on their Intuitions. I have a feeling that I am no exception.

Actually, I trust my guts more often than most people I know do. And I have spent lots of time reading and watching videos relating to the topic too.

My latest discovery has been this device, super cool - according to me! It is called Intuition Pro. You can check it out here in this Business Insider article: http://markets.businessinsider.com/n...ice-1009374921

What I wanna to know is: Do you feel like trusting your guts when it comes to making important/trading decisions? And what is your view on this device?
Newbieintrade is offline Commercial chat room   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:25pm   #2

Joined Sep 2014
Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
reloading another "K" next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
you don't really have an orange juice position do you?
itspossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Kaeso
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:48pm   #3
Joined Feb 2002
Nearest I come to trusting my gut is when my trend-following points spreadsheet says go short USD/JPY, but I don't 'cos I can see its in a range - its just that I don't have a parameter on the spreadsheet to capture this.

So maybe this is TA and not a gut feeling so doesn't count.

Gut feelings are not a good guide to profitable trading.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:53pm   #4

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbieintrade View Post
Making trading decisions is not a simple game. Besides data analysis, many would rely on their Intuitions. I have a feeling that I am no exception.

Actually, I trust my guts more often than most people I know do. And I have spent lots of time reading and watching videos relating to the topic too.

My latest discovery has been this device, super cool - according to me! It is called Intuition Pro. You can check it out here in this Business Insider article: http://markets.businessinsider.com/n...ice-1009374921

What I wanna to know is: Do you feel like trusting your guts when it comes to making important/trading decisions? And what is your view on this device?
Absolutely not on my side, to be able to build working/automated trading systems, I have to be able to back/forward test large amounts of data and I don't have/remember how I felt 5 years ago on the same day for example, maybe I was hung over, maybe my wife drove me crazy or I was running late for my son's hockey game, or I just overslept or went fishing and missed the market, etc...

This device looks like a gimmick and I think this company is a bit late to the game of wearables, the segment was hot few years ago...

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:29pm   #5
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:

I gather you are not particularly interested in trading as such then, more intuition in general

Quote:

... what is your view on this device?
This seems to be your main motivation for posting - to promote the product. I don't have a problem with that, it does look interesting and id like to have a go but I imagine if I tried it, i'd return it for a refund. This is my gut feeling , but its a good invention if its going to be useful for something.

Last edited by Kaeso; Dec 9, 2017 at 2:35pm.
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:52am   #6

5 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Newbieintrade started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by itspossible View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
What's that?
It is funny though!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:56am   #7

5 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
Nearest I come to trusting my gut is when my trend-following points spreadsheet says go short USD/JPY, but I don't 'cos I can see its in a range - its just that I don't have a parameter on the spreadsheet to capture this.

So maybe this is TA and not a gut feeling so doesn't count.

Gut feelings are not a good guide to profitable trading.

Well, I think because in Trading we not only rely on gut feelings, the knowledge and experience in the field count too. Because as Malcolm Gladwell wrote in his book Blink, you have to learn to be cautious even if you have a hunch. It can be deceiving sometimes.

That was why I think Intuition play an important role in people's lives, but only who knows how to use it can get the best out of it.

And, who doesn't want to be that person?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:00am   #8

5 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Absolutely not on my side, to be able to build working/automated trading systems, I have to be able to back/forward test large amounts of data and I don't have/remember how I felt 5 years ago on the same day for example, maybe I was hung over, maybe my wife drove me crazy or I was running late for my son's hockey game, or I just overslept or went fishing and missed the market, etc...

This device looks like a gimmick and I think this company is a bit late to the game of wearables, the segment was hot few years ago...

You are really a data-driven person, I think.

I agree that wearables have been hot like quite long ago. Even the topic of Intuition. But the marriage of them two kinda give me some hopes that my life quality can be improved somehow. I mean sometimes it is good to learn to trust.

Anyway, I'll think about it. Thanks