Novel use of Moving Averages

This is a discussion on Novel use of Moving Averages within the Trading Systems forums, part of the Methods category; I've only done this for longs but: The average profit per trade is about 21 to 26 for days 1 ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:35pm   #25

Joined Nov 2003
More analysis

I've only done this for longs but:
The average profit per trade is about 21 to 26 for days 1 to 5 (day being the number of the day in the series of trades) but then rises to 50ish for day 6 and then keeps rising. Likewise the ratio of winning/losing trades rises from 2ish to 4+ by day 9 and never comes below 4 thereafter.

About 75% of the profit comes from about 50% of the trades (not quite 80:20). I will investigate the impact on drawdown.

PS FC I now understand the logic of your system with the exit price working back.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:34am   #26

Joined Jun 2003
FetteredChinos started this thread nice work GCB. im pleased you have got the hang of it. my excel sheets are usually a lot more complicated than they could be.

and yes, waiting for a few consecutive signals is one way to reduce "drawdowns" etc.

but then you sacrifice overall points... you loses your money, you takes your choice.. etc..

im gonna try a simple method out on the Dow in a bit..

results to follow...

FC
FetteredChinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:50pm   #27
Joined Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by FetteredChinos
yup, and they are nowhere near as good.

still profitable, although the distribution of trade profits/losses are somewhat tighter, so they could be traded with a larger stake size....

im still experimenting..

its like the 60s all over again, man...
lol, way to go !
ottos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 3:03pm   #28
Joined Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb01
I've only done this for longs but:
The average profit per trade is about 21 to 26 for days 1 to 5 (day being the number of the day in the series of trades) but then rises to 50ish for day 6 and then keeps rising. Likewise the ratio of winning/losing trades rises from 2ish to 4+ by day 9 and never comes below 4 thereafter.

PS FC I now understand the logic of your system with the exit price working back.
GCB,
Do you have a profit numbers for day 1, day 2, day 3 ? I am working on intraday method based on this FC tread so this would help me a lot.
Thanks
ottos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 3:27pm   #29

Joined Nov 2003
Data

ottos

as requested
Attached Files
File Type: xls pts per day of trade.xls (17.5 KB, 316 views)
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:23pm   #30

4 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
I stumbled across these boards a few months ago and have lurked in the background ever since trying to follow the discussions as best as i can!

I recently opened a spread betting account with Capital Spreads with a view to trying out a couple of Chinos' FTSE strategies but they appear to impose a compulsory stop loss on all trades. Can any of you guys recommend anybody else I might try? Cheers.
spongebob75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:31pm   #31

Joined Jun 2003
FetteredChinos started this thread erm the compulsory stop loss is for your own protection..

you can bang a stop as far away as you want from the current price.. 500pts should do you!!

i would be very careful in trying to trade these live...

the drawdowns are humungous if you arent careful and filter the entries...

FC
FetteredChinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 1:39pm   #32

4 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Sorry, I should have said Capital Spreads don't allow you to determine your own stop loss, it's set at some arbitrary figure determined by them.
Their Demo account I tried set the stop loss automatically at 80 points, which I feel is overly restrictive.

Who do you use FC?
spongebob75 is offline   Reply With Quote