Vantage Point Software

This is a discussion on Vantage Point Software within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; Does anybody know anything about the software from Vantage Point (besides being expensive). I know it is to do with ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:37pm   #1

Joined Feb 2004
Question Vantage Point

Does anybody know anything about the software from Vantage Point (besides being expensive). I know it is to do with inter-market analysis, i just wanted to know if anyone uses it or how useful it is and if it is worth that much.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:49pm   #2
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
I tried the trial quite a while ago and it was rubbish in my view.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 6:41pm   #3

Joined May 2003
I tried it too after paying a fortune for two index modules. It is supposed to predict the next days high and low but is too far off with the accuracy to be of any use. It is only any good at telling you the trend which was no better than a moving average. I got my money back after being advised to report them to the authorites in America.
In my opinion it is useless.
schoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 6:53pm   #4

Joined Oct 2003
Max,

It uses data from 9 inter-related markets (e.g. for NASDAQ100 it uses S&P500, S&P100, DJIA, DJUA, US dollar index, 10 yr Treasury Notes, Light Crude Oil, CRB Index & NYSE Composite Index) to try to predict the trend of: (1) a 5 day moving average 2 days into the future and (2) a 10 day moving average 4 days into the future. If the predicted MA crosses the actual MA, then you consider going long or short, as appropriate. By using predicted MAs the system claims to overcome the disadvantage of other MA crossover signals - that they lag price movement.

The system also produces: (3) a neural index with a value of either 0 or 1 (short or long), based on a comparison of a predicted & actual 3 day MAs, and (4) projected highs & lows for the next trading day as low risk entry/exit points.

Vantage Point only provide the basic software and user`s manual. You have to subscribe separately to EOD data services from one of two other companies (at around $25-30 pcm).

Their claims about moves in one market producing a reaction in another, either directly or inversely, sounds very persuasive, but when you come down to it all this system really does is to follow trends. After a day when the market goes up, the next day`s indicators are usually all "long", and vice versa. During a period of range bound trading the indicators bounce back & forth between long & short, making the system pointless. When there is a strong up or down trend, the indicators usually keep you in a trade, even after a short pullback/rally, but then so would any appropriately chosen MA or trailing stop loss.

I used it for "financials" but found it was an expensive waste of time. It might work better on "commodities" due to the less volatile price movements & longer trends which I`m told exist. Before trying the system I was put in touch with a user in the UK, who gave me a very favourable account of his own experiences, using it to trade a mix of futures contracts (both commodities & stock indices). I didn`t get the impression he was just a salesman in disguise. I suppose you might conclude, as with all the different ways of trading the market, it`s a question of whatever works for you personally (& gives you the discipline to confidently enter/exit trades) is the "right" system.
tradertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:09pm   #5
Joined Feb 2004
Vantage Point Software

Can anyone tell me if Vantage point software is any good. Someone from the US keeps ringing me up to try and flog me some.
mclhrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:22pm   #6

Joined Apr 2003
Vantage Pt

Is that the Neural nets software?
Not used it myself but I'm reading a book right now about it... if it's the same one.. it's to do with intermarket relationships and stuff...
bottomdollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 1:15pm   #7

Joined Dec 2001
Its a no lag MA I think

I think you can replicate it in Seirra...

JonnyT