Vantage Point Software

This is a discussion on Vantage Point Software within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; Hi, I keep constantly getting pop-up screens regarding this software product. Has anyone used this application? If so any good ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 2, 2004, 4:58pm   #8

Joined Feb 2004
Question Anyone heard of or used VANTAGE POINT

Hi, I keep constantly getting pop-up screens regarding this software product. Has anyone used this application? If so any good or bad?

Thanks for relpies in advance!
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:05am   #9
Joined Mar 2004
Vantage Point is useless

I bought a set of three of their programs quite a while back... very expensive and after extensive testing was surprised at how utterly useless it was - the projected moving average would appear at 1st glance to be good as it does realiably predict up or down trends when it crosses above or below the actual moving average - but it also crosses above and below during chop - and of course there is no way to distinguish between whether the market is starting to chop or starting a new trend... no better than a standard moving average which of course is completely free.

I should also point out that their claim of "up to" 80% accuracy - this only pertains to their indexing system which is an oscillator that goes from 1 to zero, 1 being if vantagpoint expects the market to make a top in the next two days, zero being a bottom. Sounds good in theory, but in practice proved to be completely useless for me. In my discussions with other traders, I've come across three other traders who have purchased VP software in the past and all of them like me had ultimately found it useless in their trading.

I am not sure what the *actual* accuracy of this index oscillator is, it would seem rather difficult to corroborate. But some of the other data output, such as predicted high and low for the following day is usually wildly innacurate and of no use at all in futures trading.

IMO Market Technologies are likely making an awful lot of money selling something that is targetted at every traders 'wish lists' - dont get caught up in all their marketing spiel, they offer no performance guarantees or money back. And VP isnt a strategy either, its proprietary charting software and pretty rubbish at that. it doesnt give buy or sell signals, thats up to you at your discretion if you base a trading decision on their data output.

If you are seriously interested in their software, my advice would be to get them to send you the data output for the markets you are interested in, and see if you could realistically use the data in your trading - get them to do this for several weeks on the trot if necessary before shelling out several thousand dollars. Do your homework, i wish i had.

For what its worth, the program is supposed to be based on intermarket analysis, I discovered that VP doesn't seem to use those other commodities very much, because several times I discovered that Genesis had left out the daily data for something like the Dollar Index that factored into most of my other commodities, and when the data got filled in the calculation was unchanged. So much for intermarket analysis.

As far as their predicted moving average goes, someone on another forum managed to duplicate their Projected MA with about 7 lines of code, and it plots almost identical charts.

in TradeStation Easylanguage

Input: DampFactor(.3), MALength(5) ;
Vars: ProjMA(0), Mid(0), MA(0) ;

Mid = (High + Low)/2 ;
ProjMA = Mid - (DampFactor * (Mid - ProjMA[1])) ;
MA = Average(close, MALength) ;

Plot1 (ProjMA, "ProjMA" ,cyan, default, 1 ) ;
Plot2 (MA, "Avg", yellow, default, 1 ) ;

So if you are still entertaining wasting your money on this Vantagepoint setup, try the above code first and save yourself some money on the "real" thing.

Last edited by MartinD; Apr 1, 2004 at 10:34am.
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 9:34am   #10
Joined Apr 2003
TS Projected MA code in EXCEL

If you don't have TradeStation or anything similar (like me), you might want to play with the 'predictive MA' in Excel. The example attached uses EOD DOW data, with a 9 day MA and I've tweaked the dampening factor to 0.15 for the 'projected MA'. On it's own you could probably swing trade with it, using sound money management. My preference would be to use another indicator as a filter on the crossovers, such as OBV(30).

My Excel charting skills are limited, so apologies in advance The chart plots OHLC as well as the MA and Projected MA. Perhaps someone could pretty this up, say to a candlestick chart with the MAs as overlays?

Updated sheet with MA(10) and clearer chart using just High & Low data plus the MA/ProjMA.
Attached Files
File Type: xls projma.xls (24.0 KB, 626 views)

Last edited by ChowClown; Apr 1, 2004 at 10:58am.
ChowClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 12:12am   #11

Joined Sep 2003
VANTAGE POINThttp://www.tradertech.com

http://www.tradertech.com

hi guys anyone has any knowledge/experience of this product?/

Jay
Dow Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 8:16am   #12
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Read this link which basically says it is rubbish.

http://www.trade2win.co.uk/boards/sh...&threadid=8626
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 2:07pm   #13

Joined Feb 2004
Post Are we learning yet!?

Max44 started this thread Intermarket Analysis works for the long term... but changes now and then ranging from a year to 10or 20 odd years eg a method called decoupling where once coupled markets tend to "decouple" some time in the future; and i'm taking years. If you read the book "Intermarket Analysis" by Murphy he mentions all this. He also has given positive reference to Vantage Point. But what if once correlated markets starts to "decouple" what then.... all software calculation for the neural network modules in Vantage point would have to change right?! Now THAT'S NOT mentioned..... are they aware of that???!!!!

I have tried VP for a year now... Yes the sales person was pushy and being in the UK wanted me to find other sales for him in the UK..... !!

I, like others, find that there PMA was good, but their predicted H & L was in accurate and useless at times. You are better off using candlestick charting which is effective using metastock with a plugin.... which still doesn't come anywhere near VP price.

I Really want get my money back on this, but it's been a year and i haven't really made any greater amounts of money from it than to just use my own trading ways/rules.... i have just made more money from experience and getting better.... but not from the software!

Anybody know how i can get my money back after a year from these people?

thanks
Old Aug 27, 2004, 2:50pm   #14

Joined Dec 2001
Two hopes:

Bob Hope and No Hope.

JonnyT