best software for a mac?

This is a discussion on best software for a mac? within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; hi all i am using a mac and wondering what is the best software out there specifically for mac as ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 17, 2009, 9:19pm   #1

4 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
best software for a mac?

hi all

i am using a mac and wondering what is the best software out there specifically for mac as i do not wish to run windows on my mac, if neccesary i will buy a seperate windows pc for trading
lawless23456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:12pm   #2

Joined Mar 2008
theoretically charting software for macs should be better than for windows, based on the macs superior video, and also the software should be more stable. but i don't know of any :O
Old Jan 19, 2009, 3:13pm   #3

2 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Hi lawless23456

I looked a little back at software solutions for the Mac. I'm not sure what software you are after in particular, but for Technical Analysis I only found two solutions:

- ProTA: (ProTA: Mac OS X Stock Market Charting and Technical Analysis Software) I tried it out, and it's OK, but was not overly impressed. I'll admit I didn't do much in depth testing
- Pro Analyst: (Streaming Real Time Mac Software for Charting and Analysis of Stocks, Futures, Options) I was inmediately put off by their website. Anyone with a website that bad can't design proper software in my view

I'm still looking, but have decided to use software under Windows. I'm currently trying to decide between ninjatrader and amibroker. I don't have a Windows PC, but I do run Windows under Parallels, and have to say it works rather well. Did you consider this option instead of buying a PC? at the very least you could use it to compare the mac solutions vs those available for Windows

Sadly, it seems that market analysis software is primarily designed for Windows
Kilombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:30pm   #4
Joined Dec 2008
Mac software

You might want to have a look at Investor/RT at: Investor/RT: The Trader's Ultimate Toolbox

It is designed specifically for the Mac although there is a Windows version as well.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawless23456 View Post
hi all

i am using a mac and wondering what is the best software out there specifically for mac as i do not wish to run windows on my mac, if neccesary i will buy a seperate windows pc for trading
eurotrader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:40am   #5

3 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
forgive me for being dense, Investor/RT for example is just analysis software, and you would have another package or site open to actually place trades?
daytraitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:26pm   #6

Joined Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytraitor View Post
forgive me for being dense, Investor/RT for example is just analysis software, and you would have another package or site open to actually place trades?
thats pretty much it... For eg for my futures trading i use Investor RT for charting (for which its pretty good) and use IB to place trades... IB's charting is mierde
MrMiyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 2:46pm   #7
Joined Dec 2008
I don't really like trading off the chart so use my futures broker's own trade platform. However, I believe there is the facility within Investor/RT to trade off the chart with certain brokers. You might want to double check their site to be sure or drop them a quick email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytraitor View Post
eurotrader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:31am   #8

7 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Best ? i have 2 options : thinkorswim ,interactivebrokers ,their software based on java ,and able to run on linux ,mac ,windows , and they are more professinal then other windows only software such as mt4 ,tradestation in my view
juvu is offline   Reply With Quote