Automated Trading

This is a discussion on Automated Trading within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; Hi guys, So after reading about turtle trading, I would like to develop a fully automated trading system based on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:45am   #1

3 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Automated Trading

Hi guys,

So after reading about turtle trading, I would like to develop a fully automated trading system based on trendfollowing by myself that I can backtest and automatically trade the markets with. Any idea what platform allows me to do this (ie develop my own automated trading system, backtest on historical data and then use the system to trade live money in the markets) ? Thanks a lot and regards !

Cai Gengyang
CaiGengYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:46am   #2

Joined Mar 2004
Try MT4 or 5 for free too.
Me
Pat494 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:00pm   #3

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaiGengYang View Post
Hi guys,

So after reading about turtle trading, I would like to develop a fully automated trading system based on trendfollowing by myself that I can backtest and automatically trade the markets with. Any idea what platform allows me to do this (ie develop my own automated trading system, backtest on historical data and then use the system to trade live money in the markets) ? Thanks a lot and regards !

Cai Gengyang
I am using python and the API provide by my broker - this is the most flexible solution. Another one would be to use 3rd party as Pat494 advised, but I would steer clear from a solution that hosts your logic in the cloud/remote, because your idea can be stolen, arbitraged away and even used against you...

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:16am   #4
Joined May 2012
Quote:
Hi guys,

So after reading about turtle trading, I would like to develop a fully automated trading system based on trendfollowing by myself
I hope that when reading you did not miss the part that the Turtles regularly experienced drawdowns of 55 % plus and as much as 80 % in their system. Not many people can handle such drawdowns psychologically.

Those who know do not speak
Those who speak do not know
Since I have spoken, I do not know
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:06am   #5

Joined Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
I hope that when reading you did not miss the part that the Turtles regularly experienced drawdowns of 55 % plus and as much as 80 % in their system. Not many people can handle such drawdowns psychologically.
20% is my top limit for draw down.
Me
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:19am   #6

Joined May 2014
Quote:
...Any idea what platform allows me to do this (ie develop my own automated trading system, backtest on historical data and then use the system to trade live money in the markets) ?...
https://ninjatrader.com/
f2calv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:01am   #7

Joined Nov 2003
Quote:
Hi guys,

Cai Gengyang
Tradestation.com
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:12am   #8
Joined May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
20% is my top limit for draw down.
Hypothetically say it did hit your 20 % limit, what would you do? Would you stop trading the system? I have not done any studies on trend trading systems but I would guess that a 50 % draw down would not be uncommon. It is the nature of the beast.

My initial point on this thread is that if you wish to engage in trend following make sure you understand the downside of what you are getting into and not just the upside potential.

Those who know do not speak
Those who speak do not know
Since I have spoken, I do not know
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:54am   #9

Joined Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
Hypothetically say it did hit your 20 % limit, what would you do? Would you stop trading the system? I have not done any studies on trend trading systems but I would guess that a 50 % draw down would not be uncommon. It is the nature of the beast.

My initial point on this thread is that if you wish to engage in trend following make sure you understand the downside of what you are getting into and not just the upside potential.
I regularly test new MT4 EAs and if it is above 20% draw down it is rejected. Most of the high DDs are averaging down martingale systems.
Me
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:07pm   #10

4 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Quote:
Hi guys,

Cai Gengyang
https://www.nirvanasystems.com/omn*******2018/
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:13pm   #11
Joined May 2013
A good article in this blog why trends and trend-following do not equate well and impact on CTA performance some of which still use turtle methods.
Solas0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:02am   #12
Joined Feb 2018
what about MetaTrader?
EddyJones is offline Broker   Reply With Quote