Interactive Technical Analysis Education

This is a discussion on Interactive Technical Analysis Education within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; Hey folks Does anyone know of any interactive software for practicing technical analysis? Free is preferred but all suggestions welcome. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:05pm   #1
Joined Sep 2017
Interactive Technical Analysis Education

Hey folks

Does anyone know of any interactive software for practicing technical analysis?
Free is preferred but all suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:05pm   #2

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowler View Post
Hey folks

Does anyone know of any interactive software for practicing technical analysis?
Free is preferred but all suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Are you looking for a simulator? Think or Swim have the on demand feature, you can replay any day of the market back few years...

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:27pm   #3
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Are you looking for a simulator? Think or Swim have the on demand feature, you can replay any day of the market back few years...
Hello my friend!

Not quite...i think...
What I am looking for is basically something like the course Brumby suggested to me (which is great!) in the last page or 2 of my journal, but interactive.

I have seen some things over the years, for example my first year psychology book.
It had a disk that I popped into my laptop and I could learn the content of the book via the interactive disk (and reading too of course).
I'm just looking for a better way to learn than to go the ye old route of reading painstakingly boring text only

Of course I will read, but we are in the technology age...it's about time education caught up
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:21pm   #4

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Hello my friend!

Not quite...i think...
What I am looking for is basically something like the course Brumby suggested to me (which is great!) in the last page or 2 of my journal, but interactive.

I have seen some things over the years, for example my first year psychology book.
It had a disk that I popped into my laptop and I could learn the content of the book via the interactive disk (and reading too of course).
I'm just looking for a better way to learn than to go the ye old route of reading painstakingly boring text only

Of course I will read, but we are in the technology age...it's about time education caught up
I see what you are saying, just not sure that something like this exists, because I don't believe someone will publish a working winning strategy in any form...

So basically you are risking learning something that is fundamentally flawed, e.g. a strategy that is not working/ making money...

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:14pm   #5

Joined Mar 2014
Lots of charting software allows you to 'play back' old data, so you can watch patterns develop and instantly see the outcome.
cbrads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:23pm   #6
Joined Sep 2017
Quote:
I see what you are saying, just not sure that something like this exists, because I don't believe someone will publish a working winning strategy in any form...

So basically you are risking learning something that is fundamentally flawed, e.g. a strategy that is not working/ making money...
I'm not looking for a strategy.
What I am looking for from such software is for example, exercises where I identify the levels where price has been most drawn toward...ie. drawing in support and resistance lines. Perhaps drawing in the strongest 3 levels...or something like that.

Perhaps some exercises where I identify channels and other patterns... an exercise where the chart might suggest a trade is on but say... the MACD is saying the opposite...things like that... exercises using different indicators etc...

In my opinion, not only is there no holy grail strategy of trading...there are in fact many

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrads View Post
Lots of charting software allows you to 'play back' old data, so you can watch patterns develop and instantly see the outcome.

Yeah, I can do that.
I'm looking for training software specifically designed for the practicing of chart analysis
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:49pm   #7

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
I'm not looking for a strategy.
What I am looking for from such software is for example, exercises where I identify the levels where price has been most drawn toward...ie. drawing in support and resistance lines. Perhaps drawing in the strongest 3 levels...or something like that.

Perhaps some exercises where I identify channels and other patterns... an exercise where the chart might suggest a trade is on but say... the MACD is saying the opposite...things like that... exercises using different indicators etc...

In my opinion, not only is there no holy grail strategy of trading...there are in fact many
Let me try again to explain why you are not going to find it:

To be legitimate simulator with all those exercises with patterns, indicators, etc, it has to be based on a good trading strategy or you'll learn something wrong and not usable, like training on a math simulator with the wrong formulas, what good this is going to do, not only waste of time, but also you'll have to spend even more time to unlearn the bad habits...

The problem is that no one will build such a simulator without giving his winning strategy away... and even if you find someone crazy enough to do it, it will be arbitraged away, because more money (people) will use it...

For the holy grail, for sure there is more that one working strategy to beat the market, just see how many hedge funds and people are doing it and they are not using the same strategy, because of the arbitrage discussed above...

Cheers,

Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:32pm   #8
Joined Sep 2017
Quote:
Let me try again to explain why you are not going to find it:

To be legitimate simulator with all those exercises with patterns, indicators, etc, it has to be based on a good trading strategy or you'll learn something wrong and not usable, like training on a math simulator with the wrong formulas, what good this is going to do, not only waste of time, but also you'll have to spend even more time to unlearn the bad habits...

The problem is that no one will build such a simulator without giving his winning strategy away... and even if you find someone crazy enough to do it, it will be arbitraged away, because more money (people) will use it...

For the holy grail, for sure there is more that one working strategy to beat the market, just see how many hedge funds and people are doing it and they are not using the same strategy, because of the arbitrage discussed above...

Cheers,
Thanks for the explanation.

Perhaps not a simulator.
Just a teaching tool for learning the basics of technical analysis