MLDownloader now won't download quotes

This is a discussion on MLDownloader now won't download quotes within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by viadyello I use MLDownloader since 2006 and it was until 2017 a good source for EOD Quote ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:29pm   #16
 
sminicooper's Avatar
Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by viadyello View Post
I use MLDownloader since 2006 and it was until 2017 a good source for EOD Quote data. I use it for German, European, US, Australian and Asian markets, Indices and stock quotes.
I used it until April 2017 at a 13y old Sony Vaio Win XP home laptop and since April 2017 at a newer Sony Vaio Win 10 home laptop - i was happy that it works fine with Win 10 at a very fast download speed.

It happens, that it didn't work for some days which seems maintanance reasons because the distributors Website was also down these days.

But since 01 November 2017 nothing works and the last quotes i get at 01 November 2017 have been for Australia, Japan and China.

The error message is 'Yahoo Proxy Server Problem. Please download the data again.'

Switching source to 'Google Finance' changes nothing and no quotes are downloaded in any way.

I hope that MLDownloader will work from one day to the other, because it is distributed at the Website www.trading-tools.com
and is not discontinued. It would be fine if someone know more about this, thx.
ML downloader is now virtually useless. They haven't updated the software to cope with the API changes at Yahoo (Amibroker have done so but even they still have a few glitches to sort out as far as I know). Can only assume that Yahoo don't want lots of people downloading loads of data at once. It is still possible to download historic data for individual tickers at Yahoo – into CSV file which can easily be manipulated for upload. Yahoo data is still useful if you have unsophisticated needs and don't mind lots of balls-aching manipulation and cleaning up of data. You are probably best buying the data elsewhere and using time saved to more than earn back the cost.

It is extremely unsatisfactory that the publishers of ML downloader still continue to sell it.
__________________
We are defined by our past!
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:32am   #17
 
6 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
MLDownloader 7.1 official will no longer get Quotes from Google/Yahoo, API shut down

now it's official and the only positive Thing with this Information is that i no longer must ask me, if with my PC or IP-Adress or something else is something wrong.

Read this headlines:

https://www.trading-tools.com/mldown...etastock-ASCII

or read this (if perhaps your Internet Provider has shut down Services and your Connection to save money):

"MLDownloader - Download EOD historical stock quotes for MetaStock and other data analysis applications
IMPORTANT: As Yahoo and Google shut down their API to download data for their site, MLDownloader cannot download data from Yahoo/Google server anymore. As both companies changed their policy and it is not allowed to download data from their site anymore, there will be no intentions from our site to establish a connection to this server. You can find more info here."

I ask me now, for what purpose someone will buy a MLDownloader license???
viadyello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:21pm   #18
 
6 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
EZQuote 2.02 replaces my 95% useless MLDownloader

I found a replacement for the no longer working MLDownloader 7.1.

I try for a month - lease 8.90 USD - the EZQuote 2.02 from www.eztradingclub.com and it works with my Windows 10 but lets wishes open, Shows minor errors. But it can do what is important for me.
EZQuote can download a wide range of Symbols from all over the world. it has - as example - no problem with Australian Symbols like rrs.ax or European Indices like ^STOXX50E.
Thats remarkable after Yahoo and Google closed their doors for API download.

For my luck the EZQuote 2.02 can update my existing MetaStock data that is Inbound into my Bulls Eye Broker software. I must not create new files which would cause the problem that I have a lot of work to join it to Bulls Eye Broker and create all my personal charts new with the description for the Elliot Waves.

Also a good function is the convert MetaStock into ASCII files which works fine for most stocks and Indices, but can't export symbols with older data (mass of records, the software crashes) such as the DJI, DJT, GSPC that I have as MetaStock beginning as example for DJI with

01/02/1930,248.48,252.29,241.78,244.20,2930000.00

Yahoo made it possible, as it worked unlimited in 2006.

After one month lease and testing i will buy it if no bad things happen.
viadyello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:34pm   #19
 
sminicooper's Avatar
Joined Jun 2016
HSQuote much better than EZQuote

Quote:
Originally Posted by viadyello View Post
I found a replacement for the no longer working MLDownloader 7.1.

I try for a month - lease 8.90 USD - the EZQuote 2.02 from www.eztradingclub.com and it works with my Windows 10 but lets wishes open, Shows minor errors. But it can do what is important for me.
EZQuote can download a wide range of Symbols from all over the world. it has - as example - no problem with Australian Symbols like rrs.ax or European Indices like ^STOXX50E.
Thats remarkable after Yahoo and Google closed their doors for API download.

For my luck the EZQuote 2.02 can update my existing MetaStock data that is Inbound into my Bulls Eye Broker software. I must not create new files which would cause the problem that I have a lot of work to join it to Bulls Eye Broker and create all my personal charts new with the description for the Elliot Waves.

Also a good function is the convert MetaStock into ASCII files which works fine for most stocks and Indices, but can't export symbols with older data (mass of records, the software crashes) such as the DJI, DJT, GSPC that I have as MetaStock beginning as example for DJI with

01/02/1930,248.48,252.29,241.78,244.20,2930000.00

Yahoo made it possible, as it worked unlimited in 2006.

After one month lease and testing i will buy it if no bad things happen.
Tried EZQuote but on second day of trial it advised me that the trial period had expired. Two separate e-mail to their Support facility elicited nil response.

Have subsequently installed HSQuote which has far more functionality, is half the price and comes with excellent support: e-mailed a problem very late Saturday night and was surprised to have a helpful response early the next morning (Sunday) - I would not reasonably have expected anything before start of working week.

For traders requiring free EOD or 20 minute delayed intraday data (from numerous sources) HSQuote is an excellent solution. It also comes with basic charting and for a little more cost the "plus" version has a lot of extra facilities which may be useful to some people. Its most useful facility for me is to download free 20 minute delayed daily data intraday.

PS Mods: can't find a way to submit a review in the "Reviews" section.
__________________
We are defined by our past!

Last edited by sminicooper; Jun 10, 2018 at 5:48pm.
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:40pm   #20
 
6 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Yahoo sold to Verizon

Yahoo was sold to Verizon and this is the reason MLDownloader no longer can use the free Yahoo Quotes - the new owner will not longer offer this free service because it makes no money, bucks, profits . bang bang.


thx Verizon
stop use Verizon



btw. - Marissa M. got over 180 Million USD from Verizon for her help to distribute Yahoo to Verizon

Last edited by viadyello; Jun 11, 2018 at 5:47pm. Reason: additional information
viadyello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:10pm   #21
 
sminicooper's Avatar
Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by viadyello View Post
Yahoo was sold to Verizon and this is the reason MLDownloader no longer can use the free Yahoo Quotes - the new owner will not longer offer this free service because it makes no money, bucks, profits . bang bang.


thx Verizon
stop use Verizon



btw. - Marissa M. got over 180 Million USD from Verizon for her help to distribute Yahoo to Verizon
You can still download historical data from Yahoo both manually and automatically with software that writes to the API correctly - this is where ML downloader fell down because they were unwilling/unable to update it appropriately. HSQuote does this automatically without problem but of course Yahoo no longer provide intraday delayed data automatically. That's not a problem though because it's available from other sources – and I'm very satisfied with the way HSQuote handles this procedure. HSQuote also appears to clean up the data – sometimes a problem with free sources. The technique which works for me is to use EODdata.com after market close, to plan next day's trading. I then use updating 20 minute delayed during the day with HS quote sources, to see whether a planned trade is worth going with. With trades lasting on average up to 10 days this system works well for me. Of course, you can get bang up-to-date data from your broker but I can only use in conjunction with their charting software (haven't got the will to program the API myself) and I like to use my data with Metastock which does all sorts of things that the usual charting software doesn't offer – and the small disadvantage of using 20 minute delayed data is outweighed by the charting benefits of meta-stock.
__________________
We are defined by our past!
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:28pm   #22
 
6 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Yahoo shot down API for free download quotes - Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
You can still download historical data from Yahoo both manually and automatically with software that writes to the API correctly - this is where ML downloader fell down because they were unwilling/unable to update it appropriately. HSQuote does this automatically without problem but of course Yahoo no longer provide intraday delayed data automatically. That's not a problem though because it's available from other sources – and I'm very satisfied with the way HSQuote handles this procedure. HSQuote also appears to clean up the data – sometimes a problem with free sources. The technique which works for me is to use EODdata.com after market close, to plan next day's trading. I then use updating 20 minute delayed during the day with HS quote sources, to see whether a planned trade is worth going with. With trades lasting on average up to 10 days this system works well for me. Of course, you can get bang up-to-date data from your broker but I can only use in conjunction with their charting software (haven't got the will to program the API myself) and I like to use my data with Metastock which does all sorts of things that the usual charting software doesn't offer – and the small disadvantage of using 20 minute delayed data is outweighed by the charting benefits of meta-stock.
NO - I think you are wrong.

https://www.trading-tools.com/mldown...etastock-ASCII


I believe the existing Services like EZQuote, HSQuote have a paid account for quotes and use their own servers to distribute to their customers.
viadyello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:33pm   #23
 
sminicooper's Avatar
Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by viadyello View Post
NO - I think you are wrong.

https://www.trading-tools.com/mldown...etastock-ASCII


I believe the existing Services like EZQuote, HSQuote have a paid account for quotes and use their own servers to distribute to their customers.
That's interesting! I see that the webpage you quote is dated 2018 – last time I looked a month or 2 ago that didn't exist, so maybe they have now updated their software. Not before time I must say, because they were selling ML downloader for a long period when it didn't work. Thanks for your input.

Just checked the webpage again and it does seem rather strange: a full explanation of how to use ML downloader but you can't actually buy it or download it from their site (as far as I can tell). Also, using the latest version I have installed and "checking for updates" it tells me that I'm using the latest update – which of course doesn't work because it's linked to Google/Yahoo. So I'm now rather confused as to whether ML downloader a.works b.is available. But no problem – I've got alternative software that works perfectly so why would I bother with ML downloader any more?
__________________
We are defined by our past!

Last edited by sminicooper; Jun 11, 2018 at 7:42pm.
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:15am   #24
 
9 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
Yahoo stopped their free api service on Nov 1st, 2017 but they have reintroduced it in 2018, albeit through a json api.
You may use the Excel AddIn Deriscope to get real time quotes plus historical data from several different providers, including Yahoo. Several of these quotes come without time delay!
deriscope is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
30 Ben Bernanke Quotes That Are So Stupid That You Won’t Know Whether To Laugh Or Cry thepom The Foyer 2 Mar 21, 2013 12:10am
mldownloader ivich Data Feeds 1 Dec 8, 2009 8:45pm
How to sort data in MLdownloader? mnmnmmnnmnmn Data Feeds 3 Mar 13, 2009 11:50pm
anyone use MLdownloader Rex79 Data Feeds 8 Aug 3, 2008 10:24am
Difference between your brokers/dealers quotes and your charting applications quotes JTrader Data Feeds 17 Nov 8, 2005 11:04pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)