Looking for a charting software

This is a discussion on Looking for a charting software within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; Hi I hope your trading is going well!!! I’m currently looking for a charting software. I currently use Freestockcharts (I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:05am   #1
Joined Sep 2008
Looking for a charting software

Hi I hope your trading is going well!!!

I’m currently looking for a charting software. I currently use Freestockcharts (I trade US stocks and ETFs) and I think that they are very good since you can set the charts however you like, with the indicators (you can modify time frames) you like and the colors etc that you prefer. You can also have different charts with different indicators and time frames and is free which is very good.

I use bar chart with High, Low, Close and some indicators.

The problem that I have with freestockcharts is that you have to do all the screening yourself and you do not have any alerts and I do not have the time to be in front of the computer every second waiting for a signal.

I use a momentum screening using different time frames for Relative Strength and the typical fundamental screen of P/E and things like that, nothing complicated or anything like that and I do not mind delayed data.

I know that for the screening and for the technical alert I will have to do some programming and I do not have a clue on how to programmed but if is simple I’m willing to learn and give it a try.

Basically I’m looking for a charting software that is as cheap as possible, easy to programmed that can do a screening of basic technical analysis and basic fundamental and that I can set my alerts based on the indicators to trade stocks and ETFs.

Please help
Fran8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:53am   #2

3 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Re: Looking for a charting software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran8 View Post
Hi I hope your trading is going well!!!

Im currently looking for a charting software. I currently use Freestockcharts (I trade US stocks and ETFs) and I think that they are very good since you can set the charts however you like, with the indicators (you can modify time frames) you like and the colors etc that you prefer. You can also have different charts with different indicators and time frames and is free which is very good.

I use bar chart with High, Low, Close and some indicators.

The problem that I have with freestockcharts is that you have to do all the screening yourself and you do not have any alerts and I do not have the time to be in front of the computer every second waiting for a signal.

I use a momentum screening using different time frames for Relative Strength and the typical fundamental screen of P/E and things like that, nothing complicated or anything like that and I do not mind delayed data.

I know that for the screening and for the technical alert I will have to do some programming and I do not have a clue on how to programmed but if is simple Im willing to learn and give it a try.

Basically Im looking for a charting software that is as cheap as possible, easy to programmed that can do a screening of basic technical analysis and basic fundamental and that I can set my alerts based on the indicators to trade stocks and ETFs.

Please help

Hi Fran8

Not sure if it will do absolutely everything you want but give proreatime.com a look, starts off as free with EOD data and various packages for RT.

Goog luck

Cheers
muppet911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:09pm   #3
Joined Sep 2008

Fran8 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet911 View Post
Hi Fran8

Not sure if it will do absolutely everything you want but give proreatime.com a look, starts off as free with EOD data and various packages for RT.

Goog luck

Cheers
What about esignal?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:25am   #4

Joined Mar 2004

AmiBroker is a very competitively priced platform compatible with multiple data vendors for EOD, delayed and real-time data. Can be programmed with scans to perform what you require, and also has backtesting to, so you can develop mechanical trading systems. Worth a look - AmiBroker - Technical Analysis Software. Charting, Backtesting, Scanning of stocks, futures, mutual funds, forex (currencies). Alerts. Free quotes.

Last edited by RichardDale; Apr 10, 2012 at 9:14am.
RichardDale is offline Data vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:21pm   #5
Joined Sep 2003

Check out NinjaTrader stock, futures and forex charting software and online trading platform..
shadowpug is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:36am   #6
Joined Apr 2012

+1 for Amibroker.
avano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:33pm   #7
Joined Jun 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by avano View Post
+1 for Amibroker.
Ill second that! So another +1 for Amibroker.
Hittfeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:58pm   #8
Joined Sep 2008

Fran8 started this thread What about metastocks an esignal?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:30pm   #9
Joined Mar 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran8 View Post
What about metastocks an esignal?
Metastock is a little bit easier to handle (specially for not so complicated tasks and formulas), but Amibroker is by far more powerful and has surely a better cost/benefit ratio (I use both!)

Metastock is perhaps the technical anlysis/charting package with the most licenses sold worldwide because it has a long history and it's now in the market for more than 25 years. So you can find many samples for free searching the web. But I think they lose ground year by year to a far more innovative competition (like Amibroker) because they upgrade their product in very long cycles. Last version (Metastock v11) was launched summer 2009...

bye,
zentrader
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:33pm   #10
Joined Sep 2008

Fran8 started this thread In which sense you mean that Amibroker is more powerful, in charts, scanning or in what sense you mean