Looking for a charting software

This is a discussion on Looking for a charting software within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; What about metastocks an esignal?...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:58pm   #8
Joined Sep 2008
Re: Looking for a charting software

Fran8 started this thread What about metastocks an esignal?
Fran8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:30pm   #9
Joined Mar 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran8 View Post
What about metastocks an esignal?
Metastock is a little bit easier to handle (specially for not so complicated tasks and formulas), but Amibroker is by far more powerful and has surely a better cost/benefit ratio (I use both!)

Metastock is perhaps the technical anlysis/charting package with the most licenses sold worldwide because it has a long history and it's now in the market for more than 25 years. So you can find many samples for free searching the web. But I think they lose ground year by year to a far more innovative competition (like Amibroker) because they upgrade their product in very long cycles. Last version (Metastock v11) was launched summer 2009...

bye,
zentrader
Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:33pm   #10
Joined Sep 2008

Fran8 started this thread In which sense you mean that Amibroker is more powerful, in charts, scanning or in what sense you mean
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:34am   #11
Joined Mar 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran8 View Post
In which sense you mean that Amibroker is more powerful, in charts, scanning or in what sense you mean
@Fran8,

charting and scanning/screening (in MS it's the module Explorer) are imho also strong implemented in Metastock. If that are your main objectives, Metastock may be a good choice.

But there are some parts Amibroker (and others) have surpassed Metastock in the last years:

1. the implemented formula language MSFL is relatively easy to learn but you achieve also relatively fast the limits. In this situation you have the possibility to extend the language with external DLLs. For this you must have good knowledge of the MDK (Metastock Developer Kit) and of a prof. programming language like C/C++, Delphi or PowerBasic etc. You can also extend the Amibroker language AFL with external DLLs, but you don't have to to do it in 99,9% of the cases, because this internal language is already very powerful...

2. the backtesting environment for the development of trading systems in Amibroker is complete incl. portfolio backtesting. In MS you have to buy additional tools (Tradesim etc.).

3. there's no prepared interface for automated trading in MS. In Amibroker there's a solution for Interactive Brokers and you could use this as "blue print" for developing other broker interfaces

Only my two cents...

zentrader
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:38am   #12

3 Posts
Joined Jul 2009

Hi Fran8

One of your criteria on your first post was something "as cheap as possible"
Both metastock and e-signal are at the top end of the pricing so by all means take a look but may be excessive regarding price. I exclude metastock because I run MAC, e-signal is the main "feed" supplier for a lot of other services so is considered one of the best online systems. In addition I know people who run Metastock and applying your own "criteria" and rules for searching for opportunities can be complicated. I also exclude AmiBroker as I run MAC but it looks reasonably priced, as is ProRealtime. I suggest you use a couple of demo accounts and see which suits you best. Plenty of training videos which are free to access on Prorealtime
muppet911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:04am   #13
Joined Sep 2008

Fran8 started this thread Is very clear that people like a lot Amibroker and prorealtime. I will have a look at them since I will like to get the charting software by the end of the month.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:20am   #14

3 Posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nothing to loose with demo accounts, I don't know for sure with ami broker but proreatime is a fully functioning demo, no cut down service or "please upgrade" for this option. All the features and listings are available on demo account, just no RT feed.

Best of luck and let us all know which you end up preferring!
muppet911 is offline   Reply With Quote