Point & figure software

This is a discussion on Point & figure software within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by hirsi1 Thanks. It's starting to sink in that I may not need backtesting. I didn't know that ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:03am   #9

Joined Mar 2003
Re: Point & figure software

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsi1 View Post
Thanks. It's starting to sink in that I may not need backtesting. I didn't know that you can get Updata for $80/mon. Have you used this software?
in fact,i am sure that updata cannot backtest.it can optimise using their version of solver.i also think that updata will have backtested signals.as they have backtested trading systems like sell in may,linda bradford-raschke system.so they might let you have results
i ahve used updata,for 3 years.great stuff.but found i only used the p/f so went to bullseye
in my mind,its a waste of time backtesting.spend some time reading duplessis on p/f
dentist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:06am   #10

Joined Mar 2003

just remembered.a university in australia backtested p/f on the s&p 500.they published the paper.it is on the internet somewhere.they said ,the best way to trade the s500 was with a 4 box reversal...lol
dentist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 2:10pm   #11

6 Posts
Joined Jun 2011

hirsi1 started this thread I'm finishing du Plessis. My next book is Dorsey's.
hirsi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 2:36pm   #12

Joined Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentist007 View Post
just remembered.a university in australia backtested p/f on the s&p 500.they published the paper.it is on the internet somewhere.they said ,the best way to trade the s500 was with a 4 box reversal...lol
http://point-and-figure.technicalana...onFaff2006.pdf

karl6666: 'Why doesnt anybody like you R_E, is it because you shout?'
rathcoole_exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:26am   #13
Joined Aug 2012

Backtesting remains a good idea to use historical data to test your PnF skills. No PnF software provides that. A work around, which I have used effectively is to use a normal charting platform, say, Amibroker, with good scripting that allows you to select and output data into a text file which PnF software like Bulls Eye and even excel spreadsheets can read.

The advantage is that now you can control, the interval for data output (helps to smooth PnF charts) and frequency of output. You can then effectively test intraday and positional trades without having the manual drudgery of selectively extracting data and "preparing" it for your PnF charting program.
Abnash is offline   Reply With Quote