Pairs Trading UK & US Stocks Journal

This is a discussion on Pairs Trading UK & US Stocks Journal within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by stocktrader77 Opened new pair trade in the US small cap biotechnology sector Long Entry CBM - 2.63 ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 25, 2009, 5:25am   #65
Joined Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktrader77 View Post
Opened new pair trade in the US small cap biotechnology sector

Long Entry CBM - 2.63

Short Entry OMPI - 6.28
That's an interesting pair - looks like only 40% correlation prior to November...

How do you protect yourself against a situation where the sector takes a nosedive and all players in the sector appear to be more correlated ?

Also - the big bear market we are currently in - most instruments are going down but that doesn't mean they are correlated per se - just that everything is going down.

I'd have thought that a strategy like this would be better in a non-trending market. How do you distinguish between truly correlated instruments and those simply moving with the market trend ?
pedro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:22am   #66

Joined Aug 2008
stocktrader77 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro01 View Post
That's an interesting pair - looks like only 40% correlation prior to November...

How do you protect yourself against a situation where the sector takes a nosedive and all players in the sector appear to be more correlated ?

Also - the big bear market we are currently in - most instruments are going down but that doesn't mean they are correlated per se - just that everything is going down.

I'd have thought that a strategy like this would be better in a non-trending market. How do you distinguish between truly correlated instruments and those simply moving with the market trend ?
Yes thats a good point and its not something I fuss about too much, if stocks are moving with the market then thats good because we will achieve market neutral so its not a bad thing should stock be correlated to a sector which is correlated to the general market. Most importantly we rely on fundamentals to prove there is real correlation as there are many correlated pairs from different industries, for instance ive seen a trucking stock with 95% correlation to a clothing stock, I wouldn't trade this pair as different industry-macro factors affect each business, so as long as our pairs are in the same industry we only use the technical correlation reading to confirm its relationship.
stocktrader77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 4:22am   #67

Joined Aug 2008
stocktrader77 started this thread Sold BPZ - 3.65

Covered PDC - 4.15
Old Feb 27, 2009, 2:48am   #68

Joined Aug 2008
stocktrader77 started this thread Opened new trade in US Oil & Gas Drilling Industry

Long Entry PDC - 3.85

Short Entry RDC - 12.22
Attached Thumbnails
pdc-rdc.jpg  
Old Feb 28, 2009, 2:57am   #69

Joined Aug 2008
stocktrader77 started this thread Entered new trade in US Gold Industry, Im finding most of my UK pairs are decreasing in correlation at the moment for those wondering why I haven't taken many UK trades.

Long Entry ANV - 4.00

Short Entry GRS - 7.76
Attached Thumbnails
anv-grs.jpg  
Old Feb 28, 2009, 7:17pm   #70
Joined Sep 2008
S77:

I am surprised with your latest pair. The correlation graph on PTF shows that correlation has peaked and is now declining. Your comments please.
Attached Thumbnails
anv.jpg  
Lado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:58pm   #71

Joined Aug 2008
stocktrader77 started this thread Lado, the correlation chart doesn't have to be making all time highs, a little dip is ok, its the most likely the divergence that caused this little dip, whats important is the latest reading is higher than the 1st reading on the chart so there is a long term uptrend, if there was a strong short term trend down I wouldn't take the trade.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:57am   #72
Joined Sep 2008
From what I have read on a similar thread at elitetrader.com, the experienced traders say that correlation has to be trending upward for a pair to be worthy of consideration. For this most recent pair, correlation has peaked and is heading downward. May be others get it but I don't.

Lado
Lado is offline   Reply With Quote