Trading the NQ

This is a discussion on Trading the NQ within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Gring0 Price is extended quite a bit below the lower part of TC. Daily is also showing ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:50pm   #226

1 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gring0 View Post
Price is extended quite a bit below the lower part of TC. Daily is also showing a new down trend. I am looking horizontally to keep my head straight here and giving credence to the idea that the price has shot quite a bit to the downside and may recoil towards the median. It is debatable how valid the TC is after such wild moves out of it. Then again the night does look darkest before the dawn.
weekly channel
Attached Thumbnails
nq-weekly.png  
Jack411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: dbphoenix
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:21pm   #227

Joined Aug 2015
NQ hourly. One doesn't need to become a master of reading price action to have an idea about which direction offers better odds.
Attached Thumbnails
nq-hourly.png  
Gring0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:35pm   #228

Joined Aug 2015
Price cracked through the demand line in pre-market hours. At the open the price is above the entry but based on one's sell rules some may exit and some may do whatever.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:22pm   #229

Joined Aug 2015
NQ vs ES

NQ almost approached the all time high but turned where it had turned before the larger drop, in the vicinity of 7008. On the weekly the previous trend channel's top is right above the 7008 area. It's an area I'd be keeping an eye on.

Comparing NQ to ES we can see that ES is not as strong as NQ. It has quite a bit of distance to go to reach its previous all time high, whereas NQ was much closer. Last trip around both ES and NQ were making new highs almost together. Something has changed and if ES doesn't show strength it would be another flag alerting us to not snooze around here. And also the DL break has occurred to show some potential change in stride.

TC top/Resistance/DL break/ES weakness = Something's afoot ... maybe.

Gringo
Attached Thumbnails
nq-weekly.png   nq-daily.png   es-daily.png  

Last edited by Gring0; Feb 28, 2018 at 11:31pm.
Thanks! The following members like this post: dbphoenix , Jingles
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:28pm   #230

Joined Aug 2015
NQ Monthly

NQ is approaching interesting price levels. 7047.25 was the all time high and it's close at hand.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:41pm   #231

Joined Aug 2003
dbphoenix started this thread The Q's perspective:
Attached Thumbnails
image11.png  
Thanks! The following members like this post: Gring0
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:00pm   #232

Joined Aug 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphoenix View Post
The Q's perspective:
DL breach on Q.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:07pm   #233

Joined Aug 2015
Quote:
DL breach on Q.
I couldn't take advantage of this drop. A lot of action took place in the after hours and when the open came (QQQ) price wasn't at an optimal location from my price risk perspective. Maybe those who trade the futures had a better entry. Now I am a bit more cautious and slower to engage the market, yet this was an example IMO of the advantage of trading the futures.

Gringo
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:09pm   #234

Joined Aug 2003
dbphoenix started this thread
Quote:
I couldn't take advantage of this drop. A lot of action took place in the after hours and when the open came (QQQ) price wasn't at an optimal location from my price risk perspective. Maybe those who trade the futures had a better entry. Now I am a bit more cautious and slower to engage the market, yet this was an example IMO of the advantage of trading the futures.

Gringo
According to the SLA, the entry was below the low of the 20th, triggered the afternoon of the 21st. This represented a risk of 65pts in the futures contract vs less than two in the Q (using the minimums in each). You may have modified the SLA to entail a greater risk in futures than in the ETF, but, as written, the entries are the same.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:32pm   #235

Joined Aug 2015
Quote:
According to the SLA, the entry was below the low of the 20th, triggered the afternoon of the 21st. This represented a risk of 65pts in the futures contract vs less than two in the Q (using the minimums in each). You may have modified the SLA to entail a greater risk in futures than in the ETF, but, as written, the entries are the same.
I had a tighter DL leading to 21st becoming a bit late for my purposes.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:54pm   #236

Joined Aug 2003
dbphoenix started this thread
Quote:
I had a tighter DL leading to 21st becoming a bit late for my purposes.
A "tighter DL" means trading intraday, and that's a different ball of wax. To gain the most from this, I suggest you apply it as written. Otherwise you risk missing the trade entirely.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:47pm   #237
Joined Sep 2015
Quote:
A "tighter DL" means trading intraday, and that's a different ball of wax. To gain the most from this, I suggest you apply it as written. Otherwise you risk missing the trade entirely.
Hello DBP, what are your thoughts on this SLA entry in BTC?

Click the image to open in full size.

Happy easter!
Attached Thumbnails
btc-sla.png  
gotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:34pm   #238
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotu View Post
Hello DBP, what are your thoughts on this SLA entry in BTC?

[IMG][/IMG]

Happy easter!
what about the bigger picture goto? (i have no interest in trading btc btw)

Click the image to open in full size.
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:06am   #239
Joined Sep 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
what about the bigger picture goto? (i have no interest in trading btc btw)

[IMG][/IMG]
I charted the bigger picture on the longer time frame chart on the left, price appears to be finding support at the long term blue line.

Additionally, the 50% retracement of the most upwave is 10,000 USD so whether price finds support here or tanks is significant regarding the probability of a further upwave.
gotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:55am   #240
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotu View Post
I charted the bigger picture on the longer time frame chart on the left, price appears to be finding support at the long term blue line.

Additionally, the 50% retracement of the most upwave is 10,000 USD so whether price finds support here or tanks is significant regarding the probability of a further upwave.
ok my mistake, i thought your left chart was a shorter time frame. I see what you mean about the 50% but I thought the wedge shape I drew was also significant here?
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote