My journey to long term consistency

This is a discussion on My journey to long term consistency within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Short NASDAQ-100 Net P/L -4.11 points Amount 1 Contracts Opening Rate 5032.69 Close Rate 5036.8 Open Time 1/10/2017 5:07 PM ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:34pm   #377
Joined Aug 2015
DrSafari started this thread Short NASDAQ-100

Net P/L -4.11 points

Amount 1 Contracts

Opening Rate 5032.69
Close Rate 5036.8

Open Time 1/10/2017 5:07 PM
Close Time 1/10/2017 5:10 PM

Stop loss: fixed stop above the highest high

Entry and exit on a 5m chart
nasdaq_10012017_result.jpg

Reason of closure: fixed Stop loss hit

Comments
Trade according to the system but a loser. Should have waited longer to go in because while it did go down it was not really convincing. I did act according to the system and it did go down by more than 1.5 point so that is why I went in. All of this is not very clear on this 5m chart(1m chart was not available anymore at time of posting) How can I prevent a scenario like this? Easy make the criteria for entering more than 1.5 point, in that case I should also look for bigger moves than at least 8 points.* However, I am not making the same mistake of continuously changing my system again and running around in circles. I will only change it when I see a clear pattern in the results. So for now, steady as she goes.

(*) OORRRR as I mentioned so often already make it relative to the move, probably makes more sense. But requires more concentration watching the chart
DrSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:57pm   #378
Joined Aug 2015
DrSafari started this thread Preparation 11-01-2017
nasdaq_11012017_daily_preparation.jpg
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:10pm   #379
Joined Aug 2015

Net P/L + 3.37 points

Amount 1 Contracts

Opening Rate 5041.06
Close Rate 5037.69

Open Time 1/11/2017 4:45 PM
Close Time 1/11/2017 4:54 PM

Entry and exit on a 1m chart
nasdaq_11012017_result.jpg

Reason of closure: moved stop loss to tightest trailing SL possible near the 5035 level and that got hit.

Comments
Was watching the chart and suddenly there was a big drop left to the green arrow. System is triggered but I found it a bit too late to enter that trade cause the 5035 level was so closeby so I decided to wait for a retracement, which happened a few minutes later. After the retracement seemed to have stopped I entered short. Still a trade according to the system. It does not mention retracements but it does not forbid it either. Eventual price was near the 5035 level so I put in a trailing SL instead of a fixed stop loss which got hit a few minutes later.

Cons of putting the trailing SL and not exiting right away are that I lose about 2 points of profit.
Pros are that if price happens to blast through the 5035 level I can potentially make an enormous profit. If I can trade like this AND once in a forthnight benefit from really big profits I have myself a good strategy I reckon.

But once again I can clearly see S&R levels is a great tool, price bounced off of it again, it does so again and again and again and again.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:30pm   #380
Joined Aug 2015
DrSafari started this thread Long NASDAQ-100

Net P/L -6.65 points

Amount 1 Contracts

Opening Rate 4999.06
Close Rate 4992.41

Open Time 1/12/2017 4:56 PM
Close Time 1/12/2017 5:00 PM

Stop loss: fixed stop below the lowest low

nasdaq_12012017_result.jpg

Reason of closure: fixed stop loss got hit

Comments
I forgot to post the preparation but I added the levels on the result chart. Huuuge move downwards, then seemed to have stabilized so I put the stop loss a bit below the lowest low. Price was moving down a bit and normally I have to wait for it to go up to enter but I had to leave work so it was either taking the trade now or not taking it at all. As I was putting my stop loss I thought to myself, this SL is too tight for such a big move. Price did not go below previous low but there is no guarantee that price won't go under it for a few points as a retracement. And, it did exactly that. These situations are the potential big gain situations I talked about previous posts... of course you have to actually win them and not lose then. Had I waited or put a less tight (relative to the move SL) this would have been a big profit.

It was sensible that price would recover to original level and with my current stop loss I had then a risk:reward ratio of 1/3.... In this system I usually barely have 1/2 so why now go for 1/3 ? Could have taken more risk 1/2 and turned this into an actual winner.

Nevertheless, I did good because I followed the system. Seems like more and more things are pointing in the direction of putting a relative SL to the move. Yet, not just changing the system yet, let's get some more data in so I can properly determine what would be a good ratio.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:36pm   #381
Joined Aug 2015
DrSafari started this thread Preparation 13-01-2017
nasdaq_13012017_daily_preparation.jpg
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:09pm   #382
Joined Aug 2015

Net P/L -6.67 points

Amount 1 Contracts

Opening Rate 5053.04
Close Rate 5059.71

Open Time 1/13/2017 3:56 PM
Close Time 1/13/2017 4:51 PM

nasdaq_13012017_result.jpg

Comments
Rather late entry but still plenty of opportunity. I did hesitate for a bit because I thought there may have formed a new support level around the orange line but then I thought price staying 5 minutes at the same level does not mean its support yet. Alas I was right and it was. If I had established that as support I could have narrowed my SL near the second full orange line and instead of a big loser had a small +2 point winner. But now there was no reason to tighten cause 5044 was still far off. Legitimate loser, price is continuously moving and so are S&R levels, if you happen to be in a trade while one is forming (or rather exposing itself) you need to make a descision whether to act on it or ignore it. I chose the latter but turned out bad.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:56pm   #383
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSafari View Post
Short NASDAQ-100

Net P/L -6.67 points

Amount 1 Contracts

Opening Rate 5053.04
Close Rate 5059.71

Open Time 1/13/2017 3:56 PM
Close Time 1/13/2017 4:51 PM

Attachment 233262

Comments
Rather late entry but still plenty of opportunity. I did hesitate for a bit because I thought there may have formed a new support level around the orange line but then I thought price staying 5 minutes at the same level does not mean its support yet. Alas I was right and it was. If I had established that as support I could have narrowed my SL near the second full orange line and instead of a big loser had a small +2 point winner. But now there was no reason to tighten cause 5044 was still far off. Legitimate loser, price is continuously moving and so are S&R levels, if you happen to be in a trade while one is forming (or rather exposing itself) you need to make a descision whether to act on it or ignore it. I chose the latter but turned out bad.
Mine turned out disappointing, too. Shorted at 5058 and, after more than an hour, lost patience and called it a day for a loss of 5 points. Wish you luck from this point!
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:48pm   #384
Joined Aug 2015
DrSafari started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
Mine turned out disappointing, too. Shorted at 5058 and, after more than an hour, lost patience and called it a day for a loss of 5 points. Wish you luck from this point!
Well, I am hoping to not need any luck in the future But I appreciate the gesture