Breakouts are back...

This is a discussion on Breakouts are back... within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; And so am I. I was over T2W for a while but outside of this place I have nobody to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:16pm   #1

Joined Jan 2009
Breakouts are back...

And so am I. I was over T2W for a while but outside of this place I have nobody to talk about trading with and it's getting lonely.

I had previously given up on trading these breakouts as my exit method didn't suit my temperament, trailing the resulting move with an MA meant I was in the market sometimes for months which was mental torture and the financing costs all add up. After some reflection I realised the answer is to set myself targets. One of my influences trading-wise is John Magee and he actually suggests this in Technical Analysis of Stock Trends but I had decided to ignore him.

Attached is a chart for Pepco, energy stock. I went long following the bozo on increased volume at February 10th. Looking to get out at the next area which may offer resistance at 20.80. Initial volatility based stop with a risk reward of 3.5:1 (roughly), stop loss has been moved to breakeven.

I've noticed a lot of consolidation patterns like this in energy stocks recently.

I am not making any effort to time the market, just taking each breakout as it comes.
Attached Thumbnails
2014-02-16-160400_1366x744_scrot.png  
China Diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tar
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:52pm   #2

Joined Jan 2009
China Diapers started this thread I am watching the mining sector at the moment, particularly precious metals, looks like something may be afoot.

Something interesting is I work with this dude who is a value investing enthusiast (OK I do have one person to discuss trading with), he believes chart watchers are akin to palm-readers, and he came to the same conclusion re miners using his techniques.
Attached Thumbnails
2014-02-16-164648_1366x744_scrot.png  
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:31pm   #3

Joined Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by China Diapers View Post
I am watching the mining sector at the moment, particularly precious metals, looks like something may be afoot.

Something interesting is I work with this dude who is a value investing enthusiast (OK I do have one person to discuss trading with), he believes chart watchers are akin to palm-readers, and he came to the same conclusion re miners using his techniques.
Double bottom forming on Anglo American too
I came to the same conclusions re mining
malaguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: China Diapers
Old Feb 16, 2014, 7:38pm   #4

Joined Jan 2009
China Diapers started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaguti View Post
Double bottom forming on Anglo American too
Ah yes, good spot!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:31pm   #5

Joined Jan 2009
China Diapers started this thread Copper on my watch list too
Attached Thumbnails
2014-02-16-202811_1366x744_scrot.png  
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:05pm   #6

Joined Oct 2010
GEMD is a possible one for your miner watchlist - Stage 1B, watch for a breakout above the range backed by a strong increase in volume.
Attached Thumbnails
gemd-l_w_14-2-14.png  

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: malaguti , China Diapers
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:11pm   #7

Joined Jan 2009
China Diapers started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by isatrader View Post
GEMD is a possible one for your miner watchlist - Stage 1B, watch for a breakout above the range backed by a strong increase in volume.
Nice one, will keep an eye on it.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:19pm   #8

Joined Jan 2009
China Diapers started this thread Not trading related but hey, it's my thread.

Continuing where I left off with what I believe will be the defining issue of our time, the technological displacement of labour:

http://singularityhub.com/2014/02/16...strial-robots/