China's FTSE 100 swing trades

This is a discussion on China's FTSE 100 swing trades within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Here's the S&P 500 stocks excel file. Same thing but with the good set to below 0.25%. Again you can ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:00pm   #16

Joined Oct 2010
Re: China's FTSE 100 swing trades

Here's the S&P 500 stocks excel file. Same thing but with the good set to below 0.25%. Again you can change to whatever you like once you've put in the spreads.
Attached Files
File Type: xls SP500 Components Spreads.xls (89.0 KB, 221 views)

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:03pm   #17

Joined Jan 2009

China Diapers started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by isatrader View Post
Here's the S&P 500 stocks excel file. Same thing but with the good set to below 0.25%. Again you can change to whatever you like once you've put in the spreads.
Would you trade S&P stocks rather than NASDAQ?
China Diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:05pm   #18

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Diapers View Post
Would you trade S&P stocks rather than NASDAQ?
Stick to the S&P 500 for the most liquidity and hence tightest spreads. But you'll find a lot of the Nasdaq 100 stocks are in the S&P 500 anyway.

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:47pm   #19

Joined Jan 2009

China Diapers started this thread ANTO stopped out. The choppiness continues.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:45am   #20
Joined Feb 2002

Good luck with this China.

Actually, I had ANTO as a potential buy also, as 13/08 inside day formed valid hikkake, but price never confirmed entry and signal has now expired.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:47am   #21

Joined Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
Good luck with this China.

Actually, I had ANTO as a potential buy also, as 13/08 inside day formed valid hikkake, but price never confirmed entry and signal has now expired.
You can consider yourself lucky then

Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:50am   #22

Joined May 2003

China

I've been away for the week and just come across your thread - a couple of points.

First,the spread. You'll be ok with ftse100 so long as you only take trades with at least 1.5:1 reward to risk potential, with the risk inclusive of costs (spread if spreadbetting). That would have kept you out of the ANTO trade.

Second, can't see why you took the ANTO trade anyway. You should be looking for price bars that become smaller in range as the retracement progresses (CNA is a good example from last week) and you were hitting an expanding range with ANTO which is a no, no.

Hope this helps

jon
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:03am   #23

Joined Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
China

I've been away for the week and just come across your thread - a couple of points.

First,the spread. You'll be ok with ftse100 so long as you only take trades with at least 1.5:1 reward to risk potential, with the risk inclusive of costs (spread if spreadbetting). That would have kept you out of the ANTO trade.

Second, can't see why you took the ANTO trade anyway. You should be looking for price bars that become smaller in range as the retracement progresses (CNA is a good example from last week) and you were hitting an expanding range with ANTO.

Hope this helps

jon
Hi Jon,

I was wondering when you might make an appearance, just in time too.

I have looked at the spreads of all the FTSE 100 and apart from about 6 or 7 most spreads are under .25% so will stick with FTSE 100 for now and filter out the bad apples. Going on the spreads ANTO was not a good idea.

CNA was a no go for me, just, as close was below the 18sma, but point taken re the smaller ranges. I was doing this originally but ended up with the dilemma where I was getting no setups if you remember from Toms thread so I ditched it. Will start again if it will keep me out of bad trades, I can probably even code this into my screener.

Thanks, your input is always welcome.

Last edited by China Diapers; Aug 18, 2012 at 9:22pm.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:23am   #24

Joined May 2003

Quote:
Hi Jon,

I was wondering when you might make an appearance, just in time too.

I have looked at the spreads of all the FTSE 100 and apart from about 6 or 7 most spreads are under .25% so will stick with FTSE 100 for now and filter out the bad apples. Going on the spreads ANTO was not a good idea.

CNA was a no go for me, just, as close was below the 9sma, but point taken re the smaller ranges. I was doing this originally but ended up with the dilemma where I was getting no setups if you remember from Toms thread so I ditched it. Will start again if it will keep me out of bad trades, I can probably even code this into my screener.

Thanks, your input is always welcome.
China

CNA - the method allows for a slight penetration doesn't it? It was a nice three bar swing with nice reducing range leaving you with a very low risk trade to take and a very nice 4:1 potential.

So, if you were going to bend a rule, this was the one to do it and not the ANTO one which never had much potential in it and was a relatively heavy risk to run.

jon
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:32am   #25

Joined Jan 2009

Quote:
China

CNA - the method allows for a slight penetration doesn't it? It was a nice three bar swing with nice reducing range leaving you with a very low risk trade to take and a very nice 4:1 potential.

So, if you were going to bend a rule, this was the one to do it and not the ANTO one which never had much potential in it and was a relatively heavy risk to run.

jon
Yip I agree with you, CA good, ANTO bad.

I need the trade selection process to be as mechanical as possible due to time constraints (work long hours and now have a 4 month old daughter to entertain) so if something doesn't get picked up my screener because it's the wrong side of an MA then that's that, my days of staring at hundreds of charts every night are over. But yes I will either tweak the screener or do a visual check so that the ANTO's of this world are avoided in future
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:37am   #26

Joined Jan 2009

China Diapers started this thread Thanks again for the the comments, this is exactly why I started this thread, I knew I was probably missing something, or a lot of things.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:40pm   #27

Joined May 2003

Quote:
Yip I agree with you, CA good, ANTO bad.

I need the trade selection process to be as mechanical as possible due to time constraints (work long hours and now have a 4 month old daughter to entertain) so if something doesn't get picked up my screener because it's the wrong side of an MA then that's that, my days of staring at hundreds of charts every night are over. But yes I will either tweak the screener or do a visual check so that the ANTO's of this world are avoided in future
You could set your screener to give you those that have penetrated the shorter ma. That will give you a pretty short watch list to deal with.

ps: 4 months, eh - luvly
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:44pm   #28

Joined May 2003

pps: ....and point up the viable trades that don't reach the longer ma
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:49pm   #29
D70
Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by isatrader View Post
Agree with D70. the spreads on FTSE 100 stocks vary wildly, so maybe create a spreadsheet of the FTSE 100 and input the spreads of each stock from your broker, and then calculate the percentage that the spread is. Then you can filter out any stocks that are too expensive.

For example on IG index as I type BP is 453.75 - 454.75, which is a 0.219% spread, whereas Paypoint is 685.8 - 696.7, which is 1.56% spread.

So if you insist on trading the FTSE stocks, then give yourself a spread limit as D70 said and don't trade anything that is above it, as starting a trade 1.56% down is just silly. Max of 0.5% or less ideally imo.
Spot-****ing-on.
D70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:13am   #30

Joined Jan 2009

Quote:
You could set your screener to give you those that have penetrated the shorter ma. That will give you a pretty short watch list to deal with.
Sorry I meant if something closes below the longer ma it won't be picked up by screener. What you described is exactly what I do. See chart attached (yes I use prorealtime).

Quote:
ps: 4 months, eh - luvly
Yes she certainly is
Attached Thumbnails
decreasing-range-example.png