Doomberg's Journal - Ticking Along Nicely

This is a discussion on Doomberg's Journal - Ticking Along Nicely within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Doomberg Hi its not something that i would say has 'a life expectancy' as its basically breakouts ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:56am   #57
Joined Dec 2008
Re: Doomberg's Journal - Ticking Along Nicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomberg View Post
Hi its not something that i would say has 'a life expectancy' as its basically breakouts i trade but there are many different forms, some tiny, some breakovers, some breakunders etc... either way you are simply waiting for the market to establish a new trend whether its for the next 3 minutes or hour... thats the majority of the trades i do, today i am being careful as to trade this method i'd be needing stops at least 3 times as big. Volatility indicators such as Vdax:

http://www.boerse-frankfurt.de/DE/in...N=DE000A0DMX99

Are showing that today is extremely volatile so i am being very careful, i'm not really happy about putting stops of over tbh 100 however here's one that i would of normally took today if conditions were not so fierce and would of been about a 50 stop. While conditions are like this i am moving my account, from Capital Spreads back to IG Markets... i'm not happy with the way the CS platform freezes when there is news or unusual market conditions so i'll feel a bit safer back with IG.
I think we may be talking about 2 different things. Here's what I mean by expectancy:

http://www.tradingwithmoneymanagemen...d=55&Itemid=59

Couldn't you reduce your trade size for larger stops/increased volatility?
JRP2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:32am   #58

Joined Mar 2011

Doomberg started this thread Hi pb, yes i suppose you can trade with much wider stops in these conditions and smaller positions if need be but its still not ideal because the signals are not quite as valid, yesterday my stops were all over 100 but i closed them out early but was right too as i didn't want to lose too much... i much prefer to trade the markets when its calmer
Doomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:26pm   #59

Joined Mar 2011

Doomberg started this thread Ok still waiting for the transfer to be completed from Capital Spreads to IG Markets... started the withdraw yesterday so hope it will all be complete in the next day or two, i've been trading a bit on my demo account as i wait till its all sorted and am up yesterday and today but there is no need in me documenting demo trades... will be back to action as soon as i can, i can't wait to get back over to IG... i'm sick and tired of frozen platform in busy times and recalls, also Capital Spreads is built in Flash and when my flash goes down i have to completely restart my computer, it could be tragic if this happened mid-trade and it went against you.. CS is a good firm, but not as good as IG... i don't think any of them are

Happy trading guys
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:40am   #60

Joined Oct 2008

Quote:
Hi pb, yes i suppose you can trade with much wider stops in these conditions and smaller positions if need be but its still not ideal because the signals are not quite as valid, yesterday my stops were all over 100 but i closed them out early but was right too as i didn't want to lose too much... i much prefer to trade the markets when its calmer
Today was calmer, but there will not be as many calm days as there are volatile days coming in the next several years..........During the Great Depression there were some very large swing days and i expect that the upcoming days will be no different............. If you want calm days brother, then you will have to wait 4 or 5 years.............

Good trading,
JahDave
JahDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: MajorDutch
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:01am   #61

Joined Mar 2011

Doomberg started this thread Update:

Still waiting for the transfer from Capital Spreads over to IG Markets to be completed, there was a bit of a **** up so i may have to wait, Capital Spreads returned my monies to a Commercial card that i use for work and when i tried with IG it bounced and said that they can not accept a payment off this as its a business card but i can bank transfer it from that account to them. So i did and the next day i get a phone call saying "we can not accept this payment from a commercial account, but don't worry we will instruct Lloyds to reverse it but it may take 10 days" So basically i may have to wait a few more days until its back, then transfer in to a personal account and then transfer it all over again back to IG so they can accept it.

And hi JahDave, yeah yesterday was calm but it was also stuck in a consolidation which is also hard to trade in as it doesn't move much all day, i don't want the market to be completely quiet but some of the crazy moves like where it ripsaws up and down 300 points in 5 minutes are a bit extreme as it invalidates most systems that people have, i had a couple of great days in the madness but also a coupe of bad days where i was caught out a few times, lets hope it gets back to its usual self soon
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:01am   #62

Joined Mar 2011

Doomberg started this thread Hey guys, i've not left the planet, i've just got back from Ibiza and had a top time Things are mad busy with a new work project so i'll be rushed off my feet for at least another 3 weeks until i've sorted a few things out, i'm not gonna be able to spend much time on the forum or even trade properly for about 3 weeks, hope to be back in action from October when i will be at my computer as normal.

See you all very soon
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:48pm   #63
Joined Sep 2008

Quote:
Hey guys, i've not left the planet, i've just got back from Ibiza and had a top time Things are mad busy with a new work project so i'll be rushed off my feet for at least another 3 weeks until i've sorted a few things out, i'm not gonna be able to spend much time on the forum or even trade properly for about 3 weeks, hope to be back in action from October when i will be at my computer as normal.

See you all very soon
We'll be here. Just think of all the lulz you will miss on t2w!

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Doomberg