isa's short term trading journal

This is a discussion on isa's short term trading journal within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; I'm trying to think where the best place to put our trading group thread is. I think maybe one of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:52am   #91

Joined Oct 2010
re: isa's short term trading journal

isatrader started this thread I'm trying to think where the best place to put our trading group thread is. I think maybe one of these two?

– Spread Betting
– Swing & Position Trading

The Spread betting section seems to have more active people on it. So probably that one?

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:20am   #92

Joined May 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by isatrader View Post
I'm trying to think where the best place to put our trading group thread is. I think maybe one of these two?

– Spread Betting

The Spread betting section seems to have more active people on it. So probably that one?
why not UK equities?

jon
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:23am   #93

Joined May 2003

Quote:
I'm trying to think where the best place to put our trading group thread is. I think maybe one of these two?

– Spread Betting

The SB thread sounds right.

Well done on Vedanta. I think you are probably right long term but for a day/swing trade it seems quite punishing.

I used to trade shares via CFD a few years ago - (my tag says something like 'Newbie' but I've been around this forum since 2003 and been trading since around 2000) - but ended up getting crushed by volatility and gaps in some of the shares I chose. Plus, I was a lot less experienced. Am considering a move back to it in a small way via level 2 order books.
SlipperyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:39am   #94

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
why not UK equities?

jon
It was my original plan to put it in UK equities, but I thought it might be out of place now as although I’ll be doing UK equities, other people might be picking indicies or forex positions, so I think it needs somewhere broader now. Any other suggestions that you think would be good?

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:54am   #95

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperyC View Post

The SB thread sounds right.

Well done on Vedanta. I think you are probably right long term but for a day/swing trade it seems quite punishing.

I used to trade shares via CFD a few years ago - (my tag says something like 'Newbie' but I've been around this forum since 2003 and been trading since around 2000) - but ended up getting crushed by volatility and gaps in some of the shares I chose. Plus, I was a lot less experienced. Am considering a move back to it in a small way via level 2 order books.
I don't take a lot of notice of the tags as they are just done by how many posts someone makes. I tend to click on someones name and look at the all posts page for the person. You can see at a glance the kind of things they have said and what they are interested in. For people who haven't posted I just approach them with an open mind, as I realise there's a good chance they'll know a lot more than me as I've only been trading since 2007.

Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:30pm   #96

Joined May 2003

Goddamn Vedanta! For now it appears to have double-bottomed around 2360 and bounced nicely!

If you've got the margin and stomach, thats a nice 100+pts round trip in one day - so far!
SlipperyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:35pm   #97

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperyC View Post
Goddamn Vedanta! For now it appears to have double-bottomed around 2360 and bounced nicely!

If you've got the margin and stomach, thats a nice 100+pts round trip in one day - so far!
That's why I had to close it, is far to volatile for my little spread betting account. It opened 1% up then dropped to about 0.5% down and is now almost 2% again.

Hopefully it will continue to rally now and give me some decent profits in my long term position.

Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:47pm   #98

Joined Oct 2010
Support and Resistance

isatrader started this thread Attached is my updated 4 hour support and resistance chart for the US SP 500 Mar 11 Spread. It looks like previous support level of 2% is now acting as resistance.
Attached Thumbnails
picture-36.png  

Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:12pm   #99
Joined Dec 2006

NG., BG. and DGE........... All ended in plus.

bad luck with VED, Best not to touch miners when you do spread betting.
top trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:36pm   #100

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by top trader View Post
NG., BG. and DGE........... All ended in plus.

bad luck with VED, Best not to touch miners when you do spread betting.
Hi top trader, you should take part in our new trading group. One pick a week from each person. I wrote about the idea a few pages back. Here's the link: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trad...ml#post1397770

Am starting it this weekend. What do you think?

Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:35am   #101

Joined Oct 2010
US SP 500 Long Entry – Mar 11 Spread

isatrader started this thread Trade

US SP 500 Mar 11 Spread
Direction: Long

Entry Price: 1288.2
Spread: 0.6 (0.8 overnight)

Stop: 1271.8
Target: 1324.5

Account Risk: 0.23%
Potential Account Profit: 0.50%
Risk Ratio: 2.21

Entry Reason
I got a buy signal on all my 4 hour indicators at 8pm. I wasn’t watching the markets then so my entry price is 2.3 points (inc 0.8 spread) worse than it could have been. I considered placing a limit order, but think the market may continue higher during the Asian session. The other reason for taking the trade was that the price recovered back above the 2% support zone on my 200 day support resistance chart which I consider a bullish sign as it held below that for the last few days.
Attached Thumbnails
sp500_4hr_25-1-11_entry.png   rrelative-suppres-25-1-11.png  

Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:25pm   #102
Joined Dec 2006

MKS is looking good at 359.5p
top trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:31pm   #103

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
Intraday or swing trade?

As the ATR is 9.09 points which it's moved already today to downside.

Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:46pm   #104
JRJ
Joined Feb 2010

Quote:
Intraday or swing trade?

As the ATR is 9.09 points which it's moved already today to downside.
Were you thinking MKS might now rise, or breakthrough at 360 and go much lower? (Looks an interesting thread, but i am very new at this.) I would be looking for a longer term sell I think..(with MKS)
JRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:50pm   #105

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
I'll give you my view on it. The weekly uptrend line has been broken and had a failed attempt to recapture it. Price is currently at a strong support level around 360, but looks like it will break down through this and continue the downtrend. However, I wouldn’t go short unless it made a close near the 350 level. If it closed at the current level today and then closed up tomorrow without making a new low, then I might consider a short term long trade.
Attached Thumbnails
mks_l_daily_25-1-11.png