My Hedged Fund - Another "Trend-Following" Post

This is a discussion on My Hedged Fund - Another "Trend-Following" Post within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by meanreversion Interesting post, but not quite sure of the relevance to this thread (am I being dense??) ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:04pm   #113
Joined Nov 2001
Re: My Hedged Fund - Another "Trend-Following" Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanreversion View Post
Interesting post, but not quite sure of the relevance to this thread (am I being dense??)
No, you are not being dense. I was reacting to an idea that crossed my mind at the time which was that, in general, all shares go up and down together in a general index trend movement and these trends work in cycles.

However, I think I am a bit out of my depth with this thread, so leave you to it, sorry.
Splitlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:27am   #114
Joined Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
I believe that indices, whether they are of shares, commodities or whatever, indicate bubbly periods or bursting bubble periods. During these periods it is difficult to go wrong when going long or short.

Take a look at the run up to the financial crisis. One could have bought any of the Footsie shares and, in reverse, have sold any of them and made a profit.

The speculator puts his money into, practically, any rubbish in a boom and the experienced trader will sell that rubbish first, in a bust.
hi splitlink

one thing could be good if you can compare bubble-ness in stocks. like a beta for bubbles LOL

so then you can go normal beta zero but bubble beta plus or minus on wether you thinks its up trend or down cycle.

i read somewhere about trading stocks from searching the internet and on trading websites for retail punters all talking about the same stocks, that could be sortof the same thing.
DashRiprock is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:18am   #115
Joined Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
hi splitlink

one thing could be good if you can compare bubble-ness in stocks. like a beta for bubbles LOL

so then you can go normal beta zero but bubble beta plus or minus on wether you thinks its up trend or down cycle.

i read somewhere about trading stocks from searching the internet and on trading websites for retail punters all talking about the same stocks, that could be sortof the same thing.
This is the trick that makes a trader successful but it depends on ,when buying, what makes a share cheap, but good value. I'm a bit of a fundamentalist on this subject. Shares that have little debt, all sorts of factors, and scattercharts have to reflect the components that you are studying. Scattercharts depend on the faith that you have in those components and we are all very different in our selection of those.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:44am   #116
Joined Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
This is the trick that makes a trader successful but it depends on ,when buying, what makes a share cheap, but good value. I'm a bit of a fundamentalist on this subject. Shares that have little debt, all sorts of factors, and scattercharts have to reflect the components that you are studying. Scattercharts depend on the faith that you have in those components and we are all very different in our selection of those.
The issue I always had with fundamentals is that a) the data is usually old and already priced in, b) the data could be wrong (falsified etc), c) carrying out extensive research on a particular stock later causes behavourial biases to surface, i.e. staying long for too long despite price going down and d) difficult to cover several markets at the same time.

Trend followers claim it works because "human behaviour doesn't change and trends will always exist". We don't KNOW there will continue to be trends, nor do we know that the occasional trend will offset losses in all the non-trending markets. However, one apsect it does introduce into the trading is strict risk management, and it also helps get round biases, being mechanical.

But then again, the win rate is low, only rarely are there big up months, equity is volatile and so on. It's not for everyone, especially as the good "fundamental" traders will get in on the moves well before the system traders.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:47am   #117
Joined Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanreversion View Post
The issue I always had with fundamentals is that a) the data is usually old and already priced in, b) the data could be wrong (falsified etc), c) carrying out extensive research on a particular stock later causes behavourial biases to surface, i.e. staying long for too long despite price going down and d) difficult to cover several markets at the same time.

Trend followers claim it works because "human behaviour doesn't change and trends will always exist". We don't KNOW there will continue to be trends, nor do we know that the occasional trend will offset losses in all the non-trending markets. However, one apsect it does introduce into the trading is strict risk management, and it also helps get round biases, being mechanical.

But then again, the win rate is low, only rarely are there big up months, equity is volatile and so on. It's not for everyone, especially as the good "fundamental" traders will get in on the moves well before the system traders.
There has, always, been this argument, of course, but I feel that a company that has a policy of constant growth and low debt is a safer bet than TA selection. I always hark back to Next PLC because I have experience with it. Did you know that, in December 1990, Next PLC's share was 6.5 pence? I did not get in until much later, but I still got in at under 2 pounds. You won't find these shares in the FTSE 100 so TA stock selection should be confined to them. These companies have "arrived" (in fact, Next is one of them, now) so these are the value companies that make the index go up and down. Value companies have different components to growth companies and if you mix them in a scatterchart it is like mixing apples and oranges.

I could have better said "a company that has a policy of constant growth and low debt is a safer bet for TA selection than one selected for TA reasons, alone.

IOW, TA selection should be based on those companies with good fundamenbtals.

Last edited by Splitlink; Feb 27, 2011 at 11:01am.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:49pm   #118
Joined Dec 2010

myhedgedfund started this thread
Week 9: A Quiet Week...

It was a quiet week for "My Hedged Fund," both from an activity and final weekly performance, although intra-weekly volatility was higher than normal. The Fund had a volatility similar to that of the SPY which ended the week up 0.11%, with an 1.7% up day and 1.7% down day in between.

Current Positions

I completed the following transactions this week:
  • - Sold the "Banks" position (KBE)
  • - Bought Russia (RSX), Silver (AGQ) and Gold (DGP)
  • - Added to my current Canada (EWC) position.
Current positions listed in more details here.

Current performance

The Fund was up 0.43% for the week, currently up 7.45% YTD. Energy and commodity sectors continue to trend well, helping create trends in those countries with significant energy and commodity industries such as Canada and Russia. An example of a chart with a nice trend (Energy) can be seen below:
Click the image to open in full size.

Current chart with relevant benchmarks below:

Current sector allocations below:

Questions and comments always welcomed and often answered...

Boston
Attached Thumbnails
week-9-2.jpg   week-9-3.jpg   week-9-1.jpg  

week-9-4.jpg  
myhedgedfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:28am   #119
Joined May 2010

Wonder if you considered adding another shorter term mean reversion system into your arsenal. Although TF systems do work well in the long run there are times when choppy markets decreases returns. From reading the whole thread you are expecting a drawdown of 35% but from what I have read in different articles backtesting dd is much lower then live, same goes for returns.

I actually just started into systematic trading myself and still in the process of system development, my TF system has around the same dd and an MAR of 1 on the dot, an actual fund manager suggests adding some uncorrelated shorter terms systems as they are known to help decrease dd even more.

In terms of MM, I have to say I am out of ideas. In my system, I have limited total sector risk and asset risk but don't know what else I can add to have a positive I impact...from your experience what do you suggest I look into to adjust risk?
michaelguan326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:54am   #120
Joined Jan 2009

Take two systems, both with positive expectancy, and add them together. If the correlation is negative, then risk adjusted return for the portfolio will be superior to either of the two, provided

1. Correlation of returns doesn't change adversely (a big if) and
2. Markets behave in a vaguely Gaussian fashion

In other words, a trend system could/should be complemented by a mean reversion system, but the trick is to find a consistently profitable system of this nature.

(Another option would be to consistently sell low delta out-of-the-money option spreads on the S&P)