Let's Play the US Markets

This is a discussion on Let's Play the US Markets within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Hi there, I'm Nick and I've decided to keep a journal so first post is based on the rules in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:14pm   #1
Joined Oct 2010
Let's Play the US Markets

Hi there,

I'm Nick and I've decided to keep a journal so first post is based on the rules in the sticky...

1. Objectives

I want to achieve or start achieving 5% per month from my trading activity.

2. Markets & Instruments

The US Markets (NYSE or NASDAQ) trading stocks only (not ready for futures or options). Will start by tracking 10-15 stocks but if I get confident this could rise. Looking for high volume trades priced between $10 - $100 which have a nice technical pattern.

3. Style

I will be swing trading because I am in full time work at the moment. Mostly I'll be be doing some homework between 1pm - 2pm each day and will look to place one or two trades a week.

4. Timeframes

I will be using daily charts and will be looking at moving averages and technical patterns in the price. Cup & handles, reversal patterns etc are all going to be of interest.

5. Which Strategies?

As for now, I'm not sure. I'm looking at reversals on a daily basis (i.e. either hammers or dojis) but not sure if i'd act on them just yet. Breakouts will have to be pretty strong and I'll be looking at using moving averages as lines of resistance/support. Retracements I don't know anything about yet so not going to go anywhere near them!

6. Trade Set Up

High volume (750,000+) Good technical pattern (higher highs, higher lows), volatility in the stock, price between $10-$100.

I'll also be keeping a blog here (www.stockabull.com) and am looking to go live in January 2011 with a live account. At the moment I am paper trading so I'm just pushing buttons and making my rookie mistakes but hopefully I'll be able to come up with some interesting discussion points as I go along.
NickElliott is offline Commercial web site   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:29pm   #2
Joined Jul 2003
Re: Let's Play the US Markets

Nick this website you keep mentioning, is it your site? If so, my browser suggested it was a suspiscious site.

If you're keen on spam your tenure here is in the can.
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:33pm   #3
Joined Oct 2010

NickElliott started this thread Why does it suggest it's a malicious site? Just a wordpress blog... nothing more? I'm starting to trade and looking to keep a journal on my activity starting Jan 2011 and looking to share/learn from the community. If I'm coming across as spammy I apologise... was looking to post once or twice a week when I get going - too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBramble View Post
Nick this website you keep mentioning, is it your site? If so, my browser suggested it was a suspiscious site.

If you're keen on spam your tenure here is in the can.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:36pm   #4
Joined Jul 2003

Posting once or twice a minute wouldn't be considered too much on this site.

Mentioning a url once is suspicious, in more than one post gets the mods giving you a thorough eyeball.

Suspicious is suspicious. If it's your site you're a bad boy for spamming. If it's not your site then be careful as it's definitely marked as suspiscious.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:39pm   #5
Joined Oct 2010

NickElliott started this thread Consider the slap on the hand taken! It is my personal journal on my trading activity so lesson learned not to overkill the linkage. Will definitely look into why it's suspicious as I only set it up 2 weeks ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBramble View Post
Posting once or twice a minute wouldn't be considered too much on this site.

Mentioning a url once is suspicious, in more than one post gets the mods giving you a thorough eyeball.

Suspicious is suspicious. If it's your site you're a bad boy for spamming. If it's not your site then be careful as it's definitely marked as suspiscious.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:42pm   #6

Joined Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickElliott View Post
Why does it suggest it's a malicious site? Just a wordpress blog... nothing more? I'm starting to trade and looking to keep a journal on my activity starting Jan 2011 and looking to share/learn from the community. If I'm coming across as spammy I apologise... was looking to post once or twice a week when I get going - too much?
It's spam because of this.

Quote:
My name is Nick Elliott. I started working for an organisation called Tradenet who teach people to trade on the US markets. Ive been here for 2 months now and I thought Id better get involved and actually see if what they are teaching is actually 1: Achievable and 2: A genuine way to make...
I presume your job there is marketing manager
I cannot see., however why we should expect to find a "system" which will work in the stock market; surely the possibilities of profits for the student justify the time and effort required to learn market interpretation.

Humphrey B Neill - 1931
DionysusToast is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:44pm   #7
Joined Jul 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickElliott View Post
Consider the slap on the hand taken! It is my personal journal on my trading activity so lesson learned not to overkill the linkage. Will definitely look into why it's suspicious as I only set it up 2 weeks ago!
Wasn't a slap on the hand, just curious.

I noticed you registered this site in Germany on Nov 25th, but it seem slike an awful lot of work (and associated marketing links) as a blog for somebody who apparently has never traded before. Almost as your the site is of greater importance than learning to trade.