FTSE 350 Spreadbet Journal

This is a discussion on FTSE 350 Spreadbet Journal within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Im still a bit busy to do any added research, however I have moved some of my stops to break ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:22pm   #50
Joined Jan 2008
Re: FTSE 350 Spreadbet Journal

think-it-thru started this thread Im still a bit busy to do any added research, however I have moved some of my stops to break even.
Some of my positions were rollercoasting this week, and I have had a few fun calls from what I think are boiler room scams offering me shares at "institutional prices" below market price! The guy even said he was only 27 but didnt need to work any more, he just enjoyed helping people make money!
What nice chaps they are, I mean spending all that time with me on the phone waiting to get my paultry 5K when as he put it had flashing lights on his desk with 6 figure clients just waiting to "jump on"!, it was nice to know he wasnt in it for the money, I dont know why I didnt "jump on"

Current P/L 32.09
think-it-thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:14am   #51
Joined Jan 2008

think-it-thru started this thread My account took a bit of a hammering last week , with my Admiral position getting stopped out from being in profit before. Also my Mondi and Croda positiions have taken a battering, from being in profit.
I need to look closer and see when is a good time to take some profit. I didnt manage my admiral stop loss well either with a nearly 3% loss instead of 2%.
Current P/L -3.87
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:52pm   #52
Joined Jan 2008

think-it-thru started this thread My Croda position was closed out for a loss today
Current P/L -6.63
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:33pm   #53
Joined Jan 2008

think-it-thru started this thread Again, I havent had the time to do any research, so Ive not opened up any new positions.
However, stop losses are in place.
I think part of the recent losses, were that I had set a 3:1 risk reward ratio, which is what I have read in several places as for the want of a better word now, "correct". I didnt manage the trades, as in look at each one on a daily basis, and also look at the main indexes, so see the general state of the markets.
I had set my stops, based on risk of % equity, but not really taking in previous S/R levels.
I also didnt set any real plan, other than not to risk any more than 2% of equity in any one trade, so I didnt have any profit targets in place, hoping that the price would keep trading in the general direction of the trade, so wasnt looking to exit on any patterns , S/R levels, but tighten my stop very tight once it got to the 3x risk target. So i left a fair bit of profit on the table, before my postitions turned the other way.

So , what will I change.

Set a time to do research, an hour a day either in the morning of the evening, for new positions to be opened the following day.
A half hour each evening, to check P/L, and monitor the charts of each trade.
Then set stops firstly to previous S/R levels, then adjust equity risk to suit that distance.
Know the difference (which seems obvious now btw) between the probable moves of stocks priced 1000p and others priced 100p and set risk per point move to suit.

If any of you guys out there have some advice on anything from instrument selection, money management, risk reward, research, and trading disipline, I would appreciate any feedback.

Current P/L 5.76
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:51pm   #54

5 Posts
Joined Jul 2009

Do you use any software package for charts and analysis ?
lake_cot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:04pm   #55
Joined Jan 2008

think-it-thru started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_cot View Post
Do you use any software package for charts and analysis ?
Hello there lake_cot

I use Sharescope.
I look at the FTSE 350 list and scroll through that.
I also use ADVFN for research.

How is your trading ?

Regards
think-it-thru
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:56pm   #56
Joined Jan 2008

think-it-thru started this thread My Barratt short was closed out at breakeven on friday.