How to start a small investment fund (hedge fund)?

This is a discussion on How to start a small investment fund (hedge fund)? within the Trading Firms forums, part of the Trading Career category; @ timsk , thx for the tips, but as said our goal is very ambitious and time-criticial. For example to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:23pm   #9
Joined Aug 2016
marsman started this thread @timsk, thx for the tips, but as said our goal is very ambitious and time-criticial.
For example to become each USD millionaires within 6 months, and the 2nd milestone is to have each at least $25 million within a year, and 3rd milestone is to become each a billionaire within 1.5 years.
With more funds these goals would be much easier, faster, and also comfortably to achieve.
Ie. our goals are absolute numbers, not relative to the funds used...
Btw. these milestones are not linear or exponential or whatever, they are just as they are...
And: more funds would mean more profit for ourselves, as it would mean more leverage... It depends on the agreement with the investors, but of course we cannot let people participate in the success of our method w/o taking any fees; nobody would do such a silly thing. And when taking fees this means the above said more leverage for ourselves... simple maths...

Last edited by marsman; Aug 21, 2016 at 4:56pm.
marsman is offline Trading arcade or proprietary trading company   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:19pm   #10
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
thx for the tips, but as said our goal is very ambitious and time-criticial.
For example to become each USD millionaires within 6 months, and the 2nd milestone is to have each at least $25 million within a year, and 3rd milestone is to become each a billionaire within 1.5 years.
Hi marsman,

Apologies, I thought this hedge fund idea was serious. Plucking ridiculously large telephone numbers out of thin air is sheer fantasy and will never happen. I wish you well with your project but, based on what you've said, in six months time I think it's more likely that you'll be stacking shelves in your local Lidl than to have reached your goal of being a USD millionaire. I'd love to be proved wrong, but if you're not prepared to put in the work necessary to be seen to be serious and credible, then no one will ever give you a penny. Investors don't care about your goals and what you want, they care about not being conned into a Ponzi scheme or similar, not losing whatever they invest and, hopefully, making a better return than conventional investments allow. Unless and until your can offer all the above, you'll get nowhere.
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: f2calv
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:32pm   #11
Joined Aug 2016
marsman started this thread @timsk, some people have moderate goals, and some others have some aggressive goals...
To each his own and for me the most, or something that...
Most investors are glad to have a profit of 5% per month (or 80% p.a.). I can deliver this easily, the rest of what I really make would be mine... I think there is nothing wrong or unethical in such a win-win business agreement...

'Cause I know what it means
To walk along the lonely street of dreams
An' here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known
An' I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time"

Last edited by marsman; Aug 21, 2016 at 6:02pm.
marsman is offline Trading arcade or proprietary trading company   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:19am   #12
Joined Aug 2016
Performance numbers of Hedge Funds

marsman started this thread FYI:
Here are 3 very interessting tables about the performance of professional hedge fund firms:
http://www.barrons.com/public/page/9...rformance.html

As can be seen, 20% p.a. is a hard to achieve good number for them.
My above said 80% p.a. is even a top number very hard to achieve for them...

Last edited by marsman; Aug 22, 2016 at 7:31am.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:23am   #13
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
. . . As can be seen, 20% p.a. is a hard to achieve good number for them.
My above said 80% p.a. is even a top number very hard to achieve for them...
Hi marsman,
You can't compare your results with those of an actual hedge fund for the very reasons I explained in post #9. If you had tens - or hundreds of millions - to manage then you're only going to achieve 20% p/a too. And that's if you're half as good as you think you are. If, after a year or more, you can produce fully audited accounts with all the key stats: profit ratio, success ratio, max drawdown, risk per trade, trade expectancy, MAE / MFE, Sharpe ratio etc., etc. then you may (note emphasis) have something that will be of interest to investors. Until then, you're just wasting everyone's time, mostly your own.
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:37am   #14
Joined Jul 2008
Why don't you join one of those public trading sites like zulu trader where you make money off others following your trades
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:40am   #15
Joined Aug 2016
marsman started this thread @timsk, I am researching for finding the right form of firm and licence etc. I'm looking for people who aready went this road and can tell me from their experience.
I don't think I waste my or anybody else's time. Everybody not interessted in the thread can simply skip/ignore it.
It is my understanding that only same-minded people should discuss an issue.

Last edited by marsman; Aug 22, 2016 at 8:46am.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:42am   #16
Joined Aug 2016
marsman started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by forker View Post
Why don't you join one of those public trading sites like zulu trader where you make money off others following your trades
I have no experience with such a thing yet. But thx, I'll take a look about what is possible there.
Can you tell more about it? Have you made practical experiences with it?