How to Start Your Own Hedge Fund

This is a discussion on How to Start Your Own Hedge Fund within the Trading Firms forums, part of the Trading Career category; Originally Posted by NVP hey C interesting .........but in truth not useful for 99.9999999999999% of T2Win viewers.........how would you trade ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:54pm   #17

Joined Aug 2013
CostaKapo started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
hey C

interesting .........but in truth not useful for 99.9999999999999% of T2Win viewers.........how would you trade in that hedge fund ?...............viewers here like to learn how to trade
Well to use the "Karen Super Trader" example she signed up for a retail brokerage account under the LLC registration, using the TIN and entity as the owner of the account. She trades a Think or Swim account much like many of us, only her capital is in the millions versus most retail traders being in the thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands.

According to the SEC Form D the registrant is Hope Investments LLC
http://www.secinfo.com/$/SEC/Registrant.asp?CIK=1516872

Last edited by CostaKapo; Oct 13, 2014 at 3:02pm.
CostaKapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:00pm   #18

Joined Aug 2013
CostaKapo started this thread https://www.tdameritrade.com/account...specialty.page

Limited Liability

A Limited Liability account offers some of the most popular benefits of partnership and corporate accounts. It offers the pass through tax status of the partnerships, and the limited personal liability of corporations. The liability of the company and its owners is limited to their investment. States that require two or more members are MA, SD, and WY. TD Ameritrade offers accounts for legally established LLCs.

Client Profiles: Cash, Cash and Margin, Cash and Option; Cash, Margin and Option

Account Minimums and Fees:

There is no minimum initial deposit required to open an account.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:46pm   #19
Joined Sep 2014
What about a prop firm?
drtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:16pm   #20

Joined Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtro View Post
What about a prop firm?
I have no clue to the registration and infrastructure of setting up a prop firm. That is a different beast and I believe prop firm's have their own registration and licensing process.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:32pm   #21

Joined Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
hey C

interesting .........but in truth not useful for 99.9999999999999% of T2Win viewers.........how would you trade in that hedge fund ?...............viewers here like to learn how to trade
I was thinking of how this post could be relevant to the traders on this forum, and I remember a few times where someone has asked "How do I trade my friends money" or "How do I trade my relatives money"

Outside of the usual, "get their login information and trade their account" or "have them put the money in your account" no one has ever really explained the proper way to trade another individuals funds appropriately.

Clearly most people are better off doing it under the table but I think there is something to be said for taking the appropriate steps to managing someone elses money. Although it is impractical for a myriad of reasons - mostly tax purposes.

Alot of it is tax code related for the most part. Without diving into great detail, by using an LLC and an LP, the managing partners of a hedge fund's management company (the LLC) have no "individual" onus in terms of tax liability, particularly in the event of the fund's failure pursuant to non-illegal dealings. Basically, if the hedge fund goes belly up, provided it did nothing illegal, the managing partners are not deemed liable to pay for the failure out of pocket.

Additionally, there are benefits to using this structure for trading purposes (getting an IDSA, for example, or using it to manage SPVs), as some types of instruments (again, the IDSA comes to mind and so do 144A securities) have strict requirements as to who can invest in them on both a Net Worth and Savviness level. While it is less so for Net Worth, by using an LP/LLC structure, your management company can qualify for a status called QIB - Qualified Institutional Buyer - indicating that you are financially sophisticated and understand the risks of investing beyond the regular person.

That being said - as one member of WallStOasis so aptly put it -
Quote:
Honest answer to starting a "small hedge fund" ... run under the table until you're big enough to not be able to hide it anymore. If you're sub seven figures, you'll be fine.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:54pm   #22
Joined Oct 2014
CostaKapo, that was an excellent post. I would enjoy reading more things like this.
louistrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: red peg
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:25am   #23

Joined Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston1st View Post
Cost Kapo

Good article. Wrong website to post on.
I disagree, and think it is very worthy of posting, beats reading some of the absolute shyte that gets posted and a daily basis. Actually it was the best read I have come across on months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louistrader View Post
CostaKapo, that was an excellent post. I would enjoy reading more things like this.
+1, I also enjoyed reading it. My LLC I hope will be created early 2015 possibly in Nevada so this little read was of some interest.
Thanks Joe
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:17pm   #24

3 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CostaKapo View Post
I was thinking of how this post could be relevant to the traders on this forum, and I remember a few times where someone has asked "How do I trade my friends money" or "How do I trade my relatives money"

Outside of the usual, "get their login information and trade their account" or "have them put the money in your account" no one has ever really explained the proper way to trade another individuals funds appropriately.

Clearly most people are better off doing it under the table but I think there is something to be said for taking the appropriate steps to managing someone elses money. Although it is impractical for a myriad of reasons - mostly tax purposes.

Alot of it is tax code related for the most part. Without diving into great detail, by using an LLC and an LP, the managing partners of a hedge fund's management company (the LLC) have no "individual" onus in terms of tax liability, particularly in the event of the fund's failure pursuant to non-illegal dealings. Basically, if the hedge fund goes belly up, provided it did nothing illegal, the managing partners are not deemed liable to pay for the failure out of pocket.

Additionally, there are benefits to using this structure for trading purposes (getting an IDSA, for example, or using it to manage SPVs), as some types of instruments (again, the IDSA comes to mind and so do 144A securities) have strict requirements as to who can invest in them on both a Net Worth and Savviness level. While it is less so for Net Worth, by using an LP/LLC structure, your management company can qualify for a status called QIB - Qualified Institutional Buyer - indicating that you are financially sophisticated and understand the risks of investing beyond the regular person.

That being said - as one member of WallStOasis so aptly put it -
Thanks for the post CostaKapo. Good info.
jtjudah is offline   Reply With Quote