How to use Level 2 to improve your trading?

This is a discussion on How to use Level 2 to improve your trading? within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Hello all, I have been reading about level 2. All the information that I can find is about what is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:46am   #1

2 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
How to use Level 2 to improve your trading?

Hello all,

I have been reading about level 2. All the information that I can find is about what is actually displayed on the screen in terms of buy and sell orders.

However I am struggling to understand how this information can actually be used to improve your trading.

I would appreciate your comments!

Stylo
Stylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:45am   #2
Joined Jul 2008
The simple buy and sell volumes tell you what the players of the game are up to in real time. no matter what anaylsis you do, what matters is what the biggest players do here and now.
crxrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:58pm   #3

7 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
but the big players can hide their orders by buying and selling in small blocks, time and sales/order flow is what made me £3 million for three years running back in my prop days just on the ES, all you have to do is sit and watch ES with order flow,time and sales, a tick cahrt , within a year you'll be a pro.
ESguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:03am   #4
Joined Mar 2009
Well, what it IS good for is seeing when the market is not in order. If leve 2 dries up, something is up (mostly a news release).

I trade YM, and Ihave seen all 5 order depts on one side being less than 20 in total One does not want to be in the market at that time.
NetTecture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:57am   #5

Joined Oct 2008
ask tajammy

Bullsh!t, Bearsh!t all smells the same to me!

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
N Rothschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:57am   #6

Joined Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Hello all,

I have been reading about level 2. All the information that I can find is about what is actually displayed on the screen in terms of buy and sell orders.

However I am struggling to understand how this information can actually be used to improve your trading.

I would appreciate your comments!

Stylo
It is not as useful as it once was. You need to make up your own mind, but to help here are a few links.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/p...evel2guide.pdf

Look at Page 8-9

How to Use Level II Stock Quotes for Day Trading: Investment Stocks Tips | eHow.com

Listen to this guy’s message

Short term trading using market depth

Level 2: Video Tutorial With Brian Shannon | Wall St. Cheat Sheet

Points out the lies and pitfalls within level 2 and how you can disguise your true intentions and gives some examples of using it in trading

Charlton
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:41am   #7

Joined Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetTecture View Post
If leve 2 dries up, something is up (mostly a news release).

[...] One does not want to be in the market at that time.
Yes and no.

If book dries up means that marketmakers have seen something that you can't see. And they get away to avoid be run over. You better do the same and get out right away.

You don't want to be in the market at that time. But is exactly now when the best opportunity to enter in the market is coming.

Why? Because big players enter now with 'at market' orders. That orders doesn't appear in the book, but is this what really boost the prices (upward or downward).

To summarize, I don't wanna be in the market... I want to be out and enter in that moment, once that I've seen price and volume begin to explode.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:15pm   #8
Joined Mar 2009
Quote:
The book dries up means that marketmakers have seen something that you can't see.
Or it means they do not dare being in the market. Look at the YM book 5 minutes before FOCM announcement. It dries up. No hidden knowledge - they just await the shakeout like all others.
NetTecture is offline   Reply With Quote