Trend again (technical ways of entering a trend)

This is a discussion on Trend again (technical ways of entering a trend) within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; It seems to me that there are really only 4 broad technical methods for getting involved with a trend. They ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:05pm   #1

Joined Jan 2003
Trend again (technical ways of entering a trend)

It seems to me that there are really only 4 broad technical methods for getting involved with a trend. They are;

a. Breakout (B/O)
price breaks out and closes outside of a range/consolidation or support/resistance level, or previous hi or lo.

b. With momentum
ie a thrust candle.

c. On a pullback
Buy the dips, sell the rallies on a pullback to an ma/previous support or resistance area, fib etc..

d. Indicator (s) reading/patterns
ADX trending reading or Macd crossing zero line, RSi crossing 50 etc etc...

Which one (s) do you favour and why?

I'll start it off by stating that I favour c. combined with d, ie certain indicator patterns, because this ensures that sufficient technical confluence is present ie repeatable pattern of indicators at the repeatable phenomenon of SBR/RBS.

Last edited by bbmac; Jan 21, 2008 at 1:50pm. Reason: broadened definition of range
bbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:14pm   #2
Joined Feb 2002
All these have their own distinct risks. I prefer c but of course some pullbacks are actually reversals.... c'est la vie.

Many people have found that trend-following is the least risky approach (though not necessarily most profitable). I suppose strictly speaking a breakout is not trend-following, its an escape from a range (but not necessarily unprofitable). Likewise, indicator triggers may not be trend-following when they signal entry.

On the other hand, one of the objections to the Turtle strategy as an example - although successful and a trend-following aproach - is that it requires entry at a high in an uptrend, which I have never found to be profitable for me personally.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:28pm   #3
Joined Nov 2001
Thanks for starting a new thread. i have to go out, but I thought that I might post this chart of this morning's FT, a 5 minute chart. I was looking at the MACD divergence and the subsequent 25 point rise, so far.

Although this not a re-entry, it could be an early warning signal to to watch for at a later stage.

Split
Attached Thumbnails
ftjan21.jpg  

Last edited by Splitlink; Jan 21, 2008 at 1:35pm.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:35pm   #4

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmac View Post
It seems to me that there are really only 4 broad technical methods for getting involved with a trend. They are;

a. Breakout (B/O)
price breaks out and closes outside of a range or support/resistance level, or previous hi or lo.

b. With momentum
ie a thrust candle.

c. On a pullback
Buy the dips, sell the rallies on a pullback to an ma/previous support or resistance area, fib etc..

d. Indicator (s) reading/patterns
ADX trending reading or Macd crossing zero line, RSi crossing 50 etc etc...

Which one (s) do you favour and why?

I'll start it off by stating that I favour c. combined with d, ie certain indicator patterns, because this ensures that sufficient technical confluence is present ie repeatable pattern of indicators at the repeatable phenomenon of SBR/RBS.

it's c for me, but only because I'm not clever enough to use a,b or d

UTB
Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:13pm   #5

Joined Jul 2007
Slow moving averages do it for me.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:22pm   #6
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
a and b combined for me...and in the context of Strength v Weakness...forex only method

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:03pm   #7

Joined Oct 2006
Method 1 is trend re-entry = c
Method 2 is trend reversal = b

Both methods include "d" ie indicator patterns and extreme readings. But, confluence of other factors is extremely important.

"The trend is your friend and divergences are your best friend until the bend at the end"

Party on like it's 1930, until Mr C (Wave) gatecrashes the party.
fibonelli is offline   Reply With Quote