good broker for TA?

This is a discussion on good broker for TA? within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; I was just wondering if anybody had an opinion as to which online broker is the best for technical investing. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:27pm   #1

9 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
good broker for TA?

I was just wondering if anybody had an opinion as to which online broker is the best for technical investing. I know a lot of people don't even use the tools their brokers give them, largely because they either prefer their own methods or the tools their brokers' provide aren't that good. I use TDA and I'd say that they are ok, but there are much better charting software packages out there than what they provide, so I just use them for transactions.
Mets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:14pm   #2
Bez
Joined Oct 2005
TDA = TD AMERITRADE

If so you can use QuoteTracker for free.

http://www.tdameritrade.com/tradingt...tnertools.html

Another option could be to open an interactive brokers account & you can then take your pick of Charting packages due to IB data feed being accecpted on most TA software....
Bez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:23pm   #3

9 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Mets started this thread Wow thanks, yes I use TD Ameritrade. I didn't know about that, I think they just added it. I'll have to check it out. Thanks Bez.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:32pm   #4
Bez
Joined Oct 2005
Yes they bought Jerry's software a good few months ago....

Hope its of use...

Cheers Bez
Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:43pm   #5

9 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Mets started this thread Jerry?
Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:50pm   #6
Bez
Joined Oct 2005
Jerry Medved

It used to be called Medved Quotetracker

The user/web group is here for all those software based questions....

http://www.qtusers.com/
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:14pm   #7

9 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Mets started this thread sweet, this place has so many resources it's ridiculous. I found voodootrader on this site, and I use it 10 times a day. That guy is amazing.

Anyway I didn't see it because if you log in to your TDA account, they don't show you any of the partner tools. In fact, it looks like there's a whole host of tools that you can't see when your logged in. Kind of suspicious. Thanks though Bez, I just downloaded it and I'll have to check it out. Now to see if I can get it to run under linux...
Old Dec 6, 2007, 7:57pm   #8

2 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mets View Post
sweet, this place has so many resources it's ridiculous. I found voodootrader on this site, and I use it 10 times a day. That guy is amazing.
I don't disagree with you that voodootrader is a decent resource for TA but be weary of the "Swing Signals" indicator because they update after the fact that the swing took place, for a section of dates that is in a downtrend one day will be an uptrend on a later date, a significant lag in some cases.

Also I was wondering what has happened to VoodooTrader - magic in the markets? Is the site down permanently?
nero.54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:17pm   #9
Joined Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mets View Post
I was just wondering if anybody had an opinion as to which online broker is the best for technical investing. I know a lot of people don't even use the tools their brokers give them, largely because they either prefer their own methods or the tools their brokers' provide aren't that good. I use TDA and I'd say that they are ok, but there are much better charting software packages out there than what they provide, so I just use them for transactions.
Depends if its intraday or not.

If you trade for small profits and frequently, its all about spread and execution cost.

Before you chose broker, make a calculation of the cost of spread and the execution cost pr. year for each broker you have in mind.

Automated Algorithmic Trading
TickCOM is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:28pm   #10
Joined Nov 2007
Look at the spreads on these two brokers. How will the difference between the two brokers affect your cost of spread and execution on a yearly basis ?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Automated Algorithmic Trading
TickCOM is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote