Method to figure out number of price swings

This is a discussion on Method to figure out number of price swings within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Hey, I am looking for an indicator/statistical tool which allows me to figure out how many "bigger price swings" happen ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:57am   #1
 
2 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Method to figure out number of price swings

Hey, I am looking for an indicator/statistical tool which allows me to figure out how many "bigger price swings" happen per day. Even better would be to know the median time span of such a price swing. Are there any standard methods to calculate this?

I know this question is rather vague. However, I don't know yet what exactly I need. (I am trying to find a correlation.) Therefore, any tips which might be just remotely related to what I am asking for might be helpful!
babubabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018, 1:32pm   #2
Joined Apr 2018
You can attempt coding something like this, it will require quite a few degrees of freedom however.
DazJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 1:20am   #3
Joined Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazJones View Post
You can attempt coding something like this, it will require quite a few degrees of freedom however.
It can be done with 'one degree of freedom.'
userque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 1:46am   #4
Joined May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by userque View Post
It can be done with 'one degree of freedom.'
The OP admittedly can't even define confidently the question and have clarity on its end point and yet you profess to have a solution to one degree of freedom. Show us the pathway. I am curious.
__________________
_______________


Those who know do not speak
Those who speak do not know
Since I have spoken, I do not know
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 1:55am   #5
Joined Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
The OP admittedly can't even define confidently the question and have clarity on its end point and yet you profess to have a solution to one degree of freedom. Show us the pathway. I am curious.
What does my response to a different poster as to what I can do, have to do with what the OP can or can't do?
userque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 2:06am   #6
Joined May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by userque View Post
What does my response to a different poster as to what I can do, have to do with what the OP can or can't do?
.... by chain of association unless you are simply ranting.
__________________
_______________


Those who know do not speak
Those who speak do not know
Since I have spoken, I do not know
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 2:10am   #7
Joined Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
.... by chain of association unless you are simply ranting.
Wrong. My assertion to a different poster had nothing to do with what the OP can or can't do.

Also, it is a fallacy to claim that only two possibilities (association, or ranting) exist.
userque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 9:30am   #8
NVP
 
NVP's Avatar
Joined Jun 2004
and it was all going so well...........
NVP is online now Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Kaeso
Old May 3, 2018, 11:18am   #9
Joined Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
and it was all going so well...........
Until discussion forums take an aggressive stance against trollish posts; quality discussions will generally continue to decline on sites like this one...until the obvious occurs.

In the meantime, the individual poster is relegated to either fend for themselves against such obvious, and subtle attacks; or retreat to the shadows.
userque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 11:42am   #10
Joined May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by userque View Post
Wrong. My assertion to a different poster had nothing to do with what the OP can or can't do.
It is a simple question about your one degree of freedom solution. The rest of your comments I will simply ignore as smoke screen. If you can't or unwilling to expand beyond what you had offered then just simply say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by userque View Post
Also, it is a fallacy to claim that only two possibilities (association, or ranting) exist.
If you wish to invoke principle of excluded middle at least learn how it is used.
__________________
_______________


Those who know do not speak
Those who speak do not know
Since I have spoken, I do not know
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 12:16pm   #11
Joined Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
It is a simple question about your one degree of freedom solution. The rest of your comments I will simply ignore as smoke screen. If you can't or unwilling to expand beyond what you had offered then just simply say so.

If you wish to invoke principle of excluded middle at least learn how it is used.
No. It wasn't a simple question. It was condescending and insulted the OP.

You have the right, apparently, to behave that way, and many do. Many are proud of themselves for being that way.

On the other hand, I have the right to not respond to trollish posts. If you wanted me to explain myself; all you had to do was simply ask. That's why I posted; to potentially explain to anyone interested.

However, I will not give the impression that I can be trolled into explaining something. You can accept that; or not. "Frankly my dear ..."

You have no idea who's on the other end of your keyboard; no idea what they've done; or what they're capable of doing. Many of whom don't care to impress you; or prove you wrong--even though they could.

Last edited by userque; May 3, 2018 at 12:29pm.
userque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 1:19pm   #12
Joined May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by userque View Post
No. It wasn't a simple question. It was condescending and insulted the OP.

You have the right, apparently, to behave that way, and many do. Many are proud of themselves for being that way.

On the other hand, I have the right to not respond to trollish posts. If you wanted me to explain myself; all you had to do was simply ask. That's why I posted; to potentially explain to anyone interested.

However, I will not give the impression that I can be trolled into explaining something. You can accept that; or not. "Frankly my dear ..."

You have no idea who's on the other end of your keyboard; no idea what they've done; or what they're capable of doing. Many of whom don't care to impress you; or prove you wrong--even though they could.
I get it. You are invoking a snowflake defence.
__________________
_______________


Those who know do not speak
Those who speak do not know
Since I have spoken, I do not know
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 1:22pm   #13
Joined Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
I get it. You are invoking a snowflake defence.
Just to be clear. I'm not defending myself. I'm simply refusing to be trolled by you.

Again, as long as this site allows trolls to remain comfortable, quality discussion will continue to decline.

Your turn.

Click the image to open in full size.
userque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 1:52pm   #14
Joined May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by userque View Post
Just to be clear. I'm not defending myself. I'm simply refusing to be trolled by you.

Again, as long as this site allows trolls to remain comfortable, quality discussion will continue to decline.

Your turn.

Click the image to open in full size.
Let's see. You post a one liner and when called out to explain you claim troll offence.
__________________
_______________


Those who know do not speak
Those who speak do not know
Since I have spoken, I do not know
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 2:02pm   #15
Joined Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
Let's see. You post a one liner and when called out to explain you claim troll offence.
Wrong again. Anyone can read for themselves how we got here, but I'll make it easier:

The Original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubabi View Post
Hey, I am looking for an indicator/statistical tool which allows me to figure out how many "bigger price swings" happen per day. Even better would be to know the median time span of such a price swing. Are there any standard methods to calculate this?

I know this question is rather vague. However, I don't know yet what exactly I need. (I am trying to find a correlation.) Therefore, any tips which might be just remotely related to what I am asking for might be helpful!
A response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazJones View Post
You can attempt coding something like this, it will require quite a few degrees of freedom however.
My reply to the above response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by userque View Post
It can be done with 'one degree of freedom.'
Your condescension and insult:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
The OP admittedly can't even define confidently the question and have clarity on its end point and yet you profess to have a solution to one degree of freedom. Show us the pathway. I am curious.
Again, this site allows your trollism. Wonderful. I also have the right to not explain anything to you...no matter how much you beg via trolling.

Raise your hand if you understand.

Click the image to open in full size.
userque is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article: Point and Figure Price Trade Charting - Part 1 T2W Bot Educational Resources 3 Jul 17, 2014 11:16am
Point and Figure method - trading journal expensif Trading Journals 96 Jan 14, 2013 2:39pm
Running profits using the chandalier method and point and figure charts. Legslapper Stocks 0 Oct 8, 2012 8:57am
Price swings code needed in mq4 scinvestor1 Technical Analysis 0 Mar 4, 2012 6:11am
SEC plans end to price swings China Diapers Stocks 32 Nov 4, 2011 7:39am

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)