Is the concept of momentum and trend trading flawed?

This is a discussion on Is the concept of momentum and trend trading flawed? within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by Ifmyante That's not the worst place for learners to begin, but a deep understanding of the use ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:20pm   #33
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifmyante View Post
That's not the worst place for learners to begin, but a deep understanding of the use of propaganda in trading education allows for the picking of tops and bottoms. Those who abhor drawdown will naturally strive for the latter
I don't abhor drawdown. It's natural like a rain downpour. After rain, there is sunshine.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:26pm   #34
Joined Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe View Post
I don't abhor drawdown. It's natural like a rain downpour. After rain, there is sunshine.
I can't deny that I'd love to share that philosophy
Ifmyante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:15pm   #35

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
It's been filling small ranges in a large range, picking up stops at every extreme.
Business as usual
IOW, trending.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:23pm   #36
Joined Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphoenix View Post
IOW, trending.
I light a candle, and you blow it out.
If darkness remains, it's on you!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:53pm   #37
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
SD is supply/demand. It's a trick used to make the herd feel they can have an edge in their trading, so they'll keep depositing more after every margin call, because they're "so close to getting it"

Trend following is dangerous!
Go to the charts, and come back and tell me that this isn't to be found all over them:

You're either paranoid or wrong.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:14pm   #38
Joined Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
You're either paranoid or wrong.
Are you saying that you couldn't find that trick all over the charts, or that you didn't bother to look?

If you want to call me paranoid, fine, I can take it, but only if you explain why.

If not, how am I wrong?

Would admitting that I may be right be a conflict of your interests?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:24pm   #39
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Are you saying that you couldn't find that trick all over the charts, or that you didn't bother to look?
I have to admit I can't find it either. Here's the trick I use to see what they are doing: I have positions all over the place and see what they do with those. There would be no guess work then.

Here's an actual example. My short position is on the yellow line. They wanted me out. So they drag the price along the line and pray I would get out. Since I am familiar with their entire play book, I will not be getting out until they pay me. In the end, I will win.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Thumbnails
nasdaq.jpg  
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:26pm   #40

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
I light a candle, and you blow it out.
If darkness remains, it's on you!
The "darkness" stems from defining trend improperly.