Trend trading failure of trend breakouts

This is a discussion on Trend trading failure of trend breakouts within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; THE TREND IS YOUR FRIEND UNTIL THE END WHEN IT BENDS. Trends are only visible in hindsight , as image ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:14pm   #1
Joined Apr 2017
Trend trading failure of trend breakouts

THE TREND IS YOUR FRIEND UNTIL THE END WHEN IT BENDS.

Trends are only visible in hindsight , as image example below shows .Most trend traders lose money in chop , when breakouts become consolidation zones.There are more trend failures than trends materializing , most traders lose money trying to find the illusive trends.

What is missing from this statement?How should you trade trends?
Attached Thumbnails
tbo-failure.jpg  
foroom lluzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:51pm   #2

Joined Mar 2014
Interesting, frying pan, map reading and psychology with flared trousers and trend. Blind dogs leading deaf cats 80% of the time. Also fish on Friday but not for traders who stand on one leg. I think?
cbrads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:17pm   #3
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by foroom lluzers View Post

Trends are only visible in hindsight , as image example below shows .Most trend traders lose money in chop , when breakouts become consolidation zones.There are more trend failures than trends materializing , most traders lose money trying to find the illusive trends.

OK, I should know better but here goes...

What's missing from the statement that trends are only visible in hindsight is truth and relevance. Trends are only visible once they become trends but that's not the same as only visible in hindsight. Once established, a trend can be readily confirmed, and the most likely thing a confirmed trend will do next is continue. And that assessment is real-time.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:07pm   #4
Joined Oct 2008
Agree.

Trends are only visible in hindsight
Agree, as is a choppy market too.

as image example below shows .Most trend traders lose money in chop,when breakouts become consolidation zones.
Disagree, I have no idea why you think this image shows that at all.

There are more trend failures than trends materializing,
I don't see the relevance of this statement at all. You may as well tell a punter "more horses in this race will lose than win."

most traders lose money trying to find the illusive trends.
If so then most traders are doing it wrong, they should be breaking even on a failed trend trade or at the very most losing a very very small amount. And they should not be "trying to find the illusive trend" they should have already found it.

Nearly everything.

Last edited by Jason101; Jun 15, 2017 at 10:19pm.
Jason101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:23am   #5
Joined Apr 2017
foroom lluzers started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason101 View Post
Agree.

Trends are only visible in hindsight
Agree, as is a choppy market too.

as image example below shows .Most trend traders lose money in chop,when breakouts become consolidation zones.
Disagree, I have no idea why you think this image shows that at all.

The image shows a consolidation zone.simple evidence ,by the time you see a trend ,it is ranging and chopping

There are more trend failures than trends materializing,
I don't see the relevance of this statement at all. You may as well tell a punter "more horses in this race will lose than win."The image just proves the point , there is only one trend ,but more failures

most traders lose money trying to find the illusive trends.
If so then most traders are doing it wrong, they should be breaking even on a failed trend trade or at the very most losing a very very small amount. And they should not be "trying to find the illusive trend" they should have already found it.It is not possible to lose a very little without getting into an emotional disorder

Nearly everything.
what is everything

I am looking for the trend trading marketeer to buy a new book on new holy grail of trend trading ,so I can learn everything they claim is wrong.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:26am   #6
Joined Apr 2017
foroom lluzers started this thread By the time you see an opportunity ,it is reversing.Market is too efficient to offer a free lunch.
Attached Thumbnails
zero-sum-game.jpg  
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:38am   #7
Joined Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by foroom lluzers View Post
what is everything

I am looking for the trend trading marketeer to buy a new book on new holy grail of trend trading ,so I can learn everything they claim is wrong.
You don't need to buy anything.
You could start by reading for free "The Complete Turtle Rules by Curtis Faith"
This was published for free as an attempt to stop vendors profiting from selling books and systems.
After reading it, take the principles not the system and then do your own thing.
I have never bought a trend following book ever.
I worked it out for myself. After trend following for many years, I read the turtle rules and thought, blimey, that's not far off what I do, I hadn't realised it was a real thing.
But like I say I would use the principles, not the system.
Jason101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: IceMan
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:56am   #8
Joined Apr 2017
foroom lluzers started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason101 View Post
You don't need to buy anything.
You could start by reading for free "The Complete Turtle Rules by Curtis Faith"
This was published for free as an attempt to stop vendors profiting from selling books and systems.
After reading it, take the principles not the system and then do your own thing.
I have never bought a trend following book ever.
I worked it out for myself. After trend following for many years, I read the turtle rules and thought, blimey, that's not far off what I do, I hadn't realised it was a real thing.
But like I say I would use the principles, not the system.
Have you tried buying at major supports , before the breakouts of trend ,then trailing with a wide stop?