Does technical analysis work or not?

This is a discussion on Does technical analysis work or not? within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; anything that has "anal" as first 4 letters probably doesn't work...

View Poll Results: Does technical analysis work in your opinion?
It does 26 52.00%
It doesn't 12 24.00%
No foggest clue 5 10.00%
What's technical analysis? 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:56pm   #457

Joined Oct 2015
anything that has "anal" as first 4 letters probably doesn't work
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:11pm   #458

3 Posts
Joined Dec 2017
If you'll pardon the interruption from a new member (but not a new trader):

It's been said that democracy is the worst form of government--except for all other forms.

And so it is with TA. Technical analysis can produce mountains of useless data--just not as much as fundamental analysis.
Winr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:36pm   #459
Joined May 2012
The main complain about TA is that it only works some of the time and not all of the time. There is only one certainty in life - death.

TA does not work all of the time because TA is attempting to capture representation of conditions. These conditions only generate certain probabilities of an outcome. We trade probabilities of outcome using TA. If you want certainty work in the mortuary.

Those who know do not speak
Those who speak do not know
Since I have spoken, I do not know
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: FXX , darktone
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:21pm   #460

Joined Jan 2018
Tecnical Analysis w/ a touch of Fundamentals

I've been trading a long time and have used just about every Technical Indicator out there. I now have it down to 2 w/some help of some fundamentals of the stock thrown in.
1... A good stock screener
2... Debt/Equity (more debt than equity the stock is discarded.)
3... Adequate Volume. > 100,000 over a period of time.
4... Small Cap / Penny Stocks
5... Up Trend for Monthly / Weekly / Daily When all 3 are up trade the weekly by using the daily for an entry price.
Sounds like a bunch of do-do but it actually works.
The pic I show is a good example of the 2 indicators I swear by. (Both indicators are common everyday indicators found on most charting packages.)

(The pic is attached. I don't know how to add the pic.)
Attached Thumbnails
t2w1.jpg  

Last edited by Penny Picks; Jan 9, 2018 at 8:24pm. Reason: Explain Indicators
Penny Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:44pm   #461
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Picks View Post
. . . Sounds like a bunch of do-do but it actually works.
The pic I show is a good example of the 2 indicators I swear by. (Both indicators are common everyday indicators found on most charting packages.)
Hi Penny Picks,
Welcome to T2W.

Good post: you explain clearly and simply what you do and how you do it. Sadly, I'm afraid I'm not sold. Fair play, if it works for you that's great and, doubtless, you don't care one way or the other what I think. ;-) Nonetheless, for me, your indicators highlight their weaknesses (lagging in most cases) and why, IMO, traders use them in the wrong way. Allow me to explain . . .

By the time the Aroon indicates 'buy' on the 13th, price has already risen 20% or so from when the ADX gave its 'heads up'. If you're trading EoD then, presumably, you would have entered long on the 14th, say at the open around $6.25. That day creates a doji (bearish for some in this context) and is followed by a large red candle on the 15th. By close of play that day, your trade would have been in the red. Sure enough, price did then rally to a high of around $7.00 giving you a potential profit of $0.75 cents per share if you managed to get out at the peak. Price then drops back to $6.00 (below your entry), before making a double top at $7.00 (again, bearish for some in this context). From the 14th onward, the trade would have been in the red - or barely above break even - until the massive bull green candle in the new year. Are you really going to sit through all that because some technical indicator triggered 'buy' in mid November?

If this works for you, then I suspect there's a few devilishly 'proprietary' details that you're omitting to tell us, (which is fine, btw). Based on this chart and the description provided, I'm afraid I struggle to see how this can be a profitable stand alone strategy.
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:18am   #462

Joined Jan 2018
UR right tim. There's a couple of things I didn't include. I did layout my method in another post today. I learned along time ago to verify a trade signal before placing a trade. I'm not after every penny that can be had; just a big share of them.

Some say the ADX/+-d is ok by it's self; maybe. However, the AROON gives the ADX some authority. I don't believe all that much in luck when it comes to trading. You can use a lot of other indicators but what I'm using works for me.

OH. Here's some of the hidden things in my trading method.
1... Good Stock Screener service ( I use Market Club -- I'm not affiliated with them, just a member)
2... Small Cap / Penny stocks.
3... Trends up. (Monthly / Weekly / Daily) I will trade on the Weekly with the Daily for an entry buy. (I don't know if I can show a chart)
4... Debt/Equity Ratio. (Less debt, More Equity)
5... Good Volume > 100k or so. Weak volume indicates a Pump & Dump candidate.

A trade example. $200 to invest. Stock ABC @ .015 Buy 13000 ~ ( Adjust for expenses)

The odds of that stock reaching .15 / .20 is pretty good; if it rolls over you can always bailout. That's pretty good for a $190 or so investment.

You don't get that percentage of a move in the mega-priced stocks.

This clear up what I do?
Penny Picks is offline   Reply With Quote