Does technical analysis work or not?

This is a discussion on Does technical analysis work or not? within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe Oh, hello, yes, is that you ? Well, I got tired of being a beginner. I'm ...

View Poll Results: Does technical analysis work in your opinion?
It does 20 54.05%
It doesn't 9 24.32%
No foggest clue 4 10.81%
What's technical analysis? 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:41pm   #25
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedJoe View Post
Oh, hello, yes, is that you ?

Well, I got tired of being a beginner.
I'm having trouble spotting the difference.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:51pm   #26
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
I'm having trouble spotting the difference.
Funny man Eddie Murphy once said the real kungfu master bleeds on the inside. The surface is often deceptive. Like TA really, on the surface it looks like salvation.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:58pm   #27
Joined Oct 2012
babyjake1961 started this thread Well, I simply think of it this way: you have some TA setup in place and all indicators you're using (whatever they are) point to the downside. You go short but then there's a data release or an official's public statement that make the price go up. Or, worse, the price just goes up in absence of any clear catalyst. So how would your TA-based market entry be any different from a random one?
babyjake1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:00pm   #28

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjake1961 View Post
Well, I simply think of it this way: you have some TA setup in place and all indicators you're using (whatever they are) point to the downside. You go short but then there's a data release or an official's public statement that make the price go up. Or, worse, the price just goes up in absence of any clear catalyst. So how would your TA-based market entry be any different from a random one?
If your entry is based on indicators, it probably wouldn't.

Db
dbphoenix is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:07pm   #29
Joined Jul 2008
It isn't different and it is at the same time
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:17pm   #30
Joined Oct 2012
babyjake1961 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphoenix View Post
If your entry is based on indicators, it probably wouldn't.

Db
Indicators or chart patterns or whatever else that you use as a basis in your TA. The economic data released or officials' statements don't care about any of that anyway when they hit the market. The same is with fundamental analysis: not only you need to guess an outcome of an event but also the market's reaction to it. Sure, you can do it sometimes but consistently if you're not privy to insider info?
babyjake1961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:21pm   #31
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjake1961 View Post
So how would your TA-based market entry be any different from a random one?
There is no difference regardless the the chosen entry method. In order for the bank to make a profit, they have to move price against you. The direction and method of entry is irrelevant. Given that the price move is so predictable, maybe someone can take advantage of it. Being able to predict the future must have some value.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:31pm   #32
Joined Jul 2008
We all know news events are volatile and it should be expected to violate any form of analysis. That doesn't mean TA is useless all of the time!
forker is offline   Reply With Quote