Market Breadth

This is a discussion on Market Breadth within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; i put the chart on for declining issues...it could be a big selloff,sparked by goog data is available from freestockcharts.com ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:04am   #91

Joined Mar 2003
Re: Market Breadth

i put the chart on for declining issues...it could be a big selloff,sparked by goog
data is available from freestockcharts.com
financials and technology are diverging..both risk on sectors $xlf:$xlk
so..something is up
isa,,where do u get youre data from ? for futures ?
dentist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:09am   #92

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread For Futures data I download it for free from two places. For the major charts, like Gold, Silver, Copper, Oil and especially 10 and 30 year Treasuries, I get it directly from the CME site each week and copy and paste it into my charting software. As each night they put up the days data for each, and they have up to five previous days of data available. So I spend half hour or so each weekend manually copying an pasting the data, which sounds like a slog, but I find it very useful as you get to know the data better like volumes and open interest levels etc. Here's the link to the gold settlement page on the CME site: Gold Futures

If you want to get historical futures data for free, going back as far as the 1950's, then I download it from Pi Trading here: Pi Trading - Free Market Data It has all the major futures continuous contracts and is updated weekly on a Saturday night at midnight. Attached is a example of the data they have for Natural Gas futures.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NG.zip (88.7 KB, 45 views)

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

Last edited by isatrader; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:16am.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:19am   #93

Joined Oct 2010
SPY/TLT Ratio

isatrader started this thread Here's the SPY/TLT Ratio for last week. The 1 box P&F chart held out from breaking down last week and reversed to Xs for most of the week, but Friday's price action turned it back down into a column of Os and so currently the very short term favours the 30 Year Treasuries over equities. However the medium term trend is still positive and it's yet to make a double bottom breakdown, but a warning sign that the trend is weakening is that it has made a lower high. So a more defensive posture seems prudent for the time being. Below are the charts.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Thumbnails
sharpchartv05-8.png   sc-10.png   sc-9.png  

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:45pm   #94

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread Attached is the updated market breadth charts. I don't normally do a mid week update, but there was notable changes today with the medium term NYSE Percent of Stocks Above their 150 Day Moving Averages reversing down to Bear Confirmed status. And the short term NYSE Percent of Stocks Above their 50 Day Moving Averages making a continuation move below the 50% level - which hasn't been seen on downside since April. So the short and medium term trends are now both down on the P&F charts. The line chart is a little slower as it needs to cross below it's 30 week WMA to confirm the bearish signal, and still would need another 4% of stocks in the NYSE to close below their 150 day moving average to turn bearish.

Attached Thumbnails
bpnya_23-10-12.png   nya200r_23-10-12.png   nya150r_23-10-12.png  

nya50r_23-10-12.png   market-breadth-table_23-10-12.png   nya150r_line_23-10-12.png  

Last edited by isatrader; Oct 24, 2012 at 12:14am.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:52pm   #95

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread Here is the secondary breadth charts. The New High New Lows briefly crossed into negative territory today but closely slightly positive. So it's completely neutral here and could go either way, but the new lows are picking up. The NYSE Advance Decline line volume closed right on the swing low level below it's 50 day MA, so is also at a precarious position. The NYSE Advance Decline line itself pulled back into it's recent range, but it is still above the lows of the range. Finally, the SPY/TLT ratio closed on the edge of a triple bottom breakdown level. Attached are the charts.
Attached Thumbnails
sc-11.png   sc-12.png   sc-13.png  

sharpchartv05-18.png  

Last edited by isatrader; Oct 24, 2012 at 12:01am.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:28am   #96

Joined Oct 2010
Cumulative New Highs New Lows

isatrader started this thread Attached is a long term chart of the new high new lows. To give an alternative perspective to the standard chart I've overlaid the cumulative new high new lows and included a 30 week MA. This has been a fairly accurate timing tool over the last 10 years of the major trend, although if you go back further to the 1998-2002 period it wasn't as accurate for timing and instead had major divergences with the price action - which is also useful, but obviously harder to make use of. So that highlights why I think it's important to consider all of the major breadth charts together, and not just look at any individual chart in isolation. As all together they help to provide additional confirmation to what any single breath measure might be showing.

Attached Thumbnails
cumulative_nyhl.png  

Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:59am   #97

Joined Oct 2010
Re: US Industry Sectors Breadth

isatrader started this thread I've updated the US Industry Sectors Breadth charts. Eight of the nine sectors moved lower this week with Consumer Staples going to a sell signal by moving below it's 30 week MA.

Below is the data table for the Percent of Stocks Above 150 Day Moving Average in each sector which I've ordered by the percentage change since last week in each sector. For example Industrials was the strongest sector as it was the only gainer on the week, with an extra +0.74% of stocks above their 150 day moving averages now, and energy was the weakest sector with -8.20% of stocks in the sector falling below their 150 day moving averages.

Attached is the charts of the 9 sectors and a visual diagram to show where the sectors are relative to each other and the NYSE Percent of Stocks Above 150 Day Moving Average.
Attached Thumbnails
sector_breadth_26-10-12.png   sector-breadth-image_26-10-12.png   sector-breadth-table_26-10-12.png  

Last edited by isatrader; Oct 27, 2012 at 5:13pm.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:53pm   #98

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread Attached is the updated market breadth charts for the NYSE. There was no status changes since my update on the 23rd, but the percentages continued to decline through the week. Currently the short and medium term percentage of stocks above their moving averages charts are on Bear Confirmed Status, and the longer term percentage of stocks above their 200 day moving average charts is on Bear Alert status.

The long term NYSE Bullish Percent chart is still in the column of Xs that it went to in July. However, it is getting closer to possible reversal and the more volatile S&P500 Bullish Percent chart reversed to Os this week on the 24th.

So the breadth indicators favour the bearish side of the market for the time being and we need to see at least the short term percentage of stocks above their 50 day moving average reverse direction before considering changing that view point imo.

To make the table easier to understand I've made some changes by adding the date the status changed and what time frame each are for. i.e long, medium or short term term.
Attached Thumbnails
bpnya_26-10-12.png   nya200r_26-10-12.png   nya150r_26-10-12.png  

nya50r_26-10-12.png   nya150r_line_26-10-12.png   market-breadth-table_26-10-12.png  

Last edited by isatrader; Oct 27, 2012 at 5:01pm.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:06pm   #99

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread Attached is the secondary breadth charts. The NYSE Advance Decline line pulled back towards it's lows this week, but is still holding above it's 50 day MA. The New High New Lows continued to hover in the neutral zone, but the NYSE Advance Decline Line Volume broke below it's recent range and the 50 day MA. Finally the 1 box reversal SPY/TLT ratio tested it's lows again this week, and although it hasn't broken the triple bottom pattern yet, it is very close to the trend line. Attached are the charts.
Attached Thumbnails
sc-14.png   sc-15.png   sc-16.png  

sc-17.png   sc-18.png   sc-19.png  

sharpchartv05-28.png   sc-20.png   sc-21.png  

Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:18pm   #100

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread The short term NYSE Percent of Stocks Above 150 Day Moving Average chart changed status today as it reversed back to a column of Xs with 12.27% of stocks now back above their 150 Day Moving Averages since Friday's close. This puts the short term status onto Bear Correction.

Below is the updated table of the four major breadth charts and the NYSE Percent of Stocks Above their 150 Day Moving Average chart.

Attached Thumbnails
nya50r_1-11-12.png   market-breadth-table_1-11-12.png  

Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:34am   #101

Joined Oct 2010
US Industry Sectors Breadth

isatrader started this thread I've updated the US Industry Sectors Breadth charts. Six of the nine sectors moved higher this week with Consumer Staples regaining it's buy signal. However, Utilities was the biggest mover and broke down from the overbought zone with 7.97% of stocks in the sector breaking below their 150 day MAs and took it onto a sell signal.

Below is the data table for the Percent of Stocks Above 150 Day Moving Average in each sector which I've ordered by the percentage change since last week in each sector.

Attached is the charts of the 9 sectors and a visual diagram to show where the sectors are relative to each other and the NYSE Percent of Stocks Above 150 Day Moving Average.

I've also created the point and figure versions of the US Industry Sectors Breadth charts now, so that I can see the standard breadth status such as Bear Confirmed, Bull Correction etc. For example Utilities double bottom breakdown from above 70% this week puts it onto Bear Confirmed status. My software doesn't plot P&F in the same way as proper point and figure programs in that it shows 3 box reversals before they complete. i.e. note the single O on the XLP chart which is actually still in a column of Xs as it needs 3 Os (6%) to actually reverse. Attached is the standard 2% box size by 3 reversal and faster 1% box size by 3 reversal.
Attached Thumbnails
sector_breadth_2-11-12.png   sector-breadth-imag_2-11-12.png   sector-breadth-table_2-11-12.png  

sector_breadth_pnf_2-11-12.png   sector_breadth_1pc_pnf_2-11-12.png  

Last edited by isatrader; Nov 3, 2012 at 3:41pm.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:42am   #102

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread Attached is the updated market breadth charts for the NYSE. Yesterday's Bear Correction signal on the short term NYSE Percent of Stocks Above 50 Day Moving Average chart proved to be correct as the Percent of Stocks Above 50 Day Moving Average moved lower once again today and reversed back to Bear Confirmed status.

So currently the short and medium term percentage of stocks above their moving averages charts are both on Bear Confirmed Status, and the longer term percentage of stocks above their 200 day moving average charts is on Bear Alert status.

There was little change in the long term NYSE Bullish Percent chart which is still in the column of Xs.

So the breadth indicators continue to favour the bearish side of the market for the time being and for this to reverse the NYSE Percent of Stocks Above 50 Day Moving Average chart would need to make a double top breakout above 58%.

Attached Thumbnails
bpnya_2-11-12.png   nya200r_2-11-12.png   nya150r_2-11-12.png  

nya50r_2-11-12.png   nya150r_line_2-11-12.png   market-breadth-table_2-11-12.png  

Last edited by isatrader; Nov 3, 2012 at 1:17am.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:47am   #103

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread Attached is the secondary breadth charts. The New High New Lows broke out of the neutral zone and closed the week in more bullish territory than it's been in for a while, with the new lows not picking up above the recent average. The NYSE Advance Decline Volume failed to get back above it's 50 day MA and so is in a precarious position. The NYSE Advance Decline Line move slightly higher on the week but is still hovering in it recent range just above it's 50 day MA.
Attached Thumbnails
sc-25.png   sc-26.png   sc-29.png  

sc-30.png   sc-23.png   sc-24.png  

Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:36pm   #104

Joined Mar 2003

bullish percent from nyse against spx
as seen by stockcharts
a divergence is there/bearish ..i think
dentist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 7:07pm   #105
Joined Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentist007 View Post
bullish percent from nyse against spx
as seen by stockcharts
a divergence is there/bearish ..i think
so reversal means divergence with the graph = bearish. Based on Momentum + NYA advance decline seems to be still going okay. I don't sense a huge recession just yet.

Last edited by bearsworth; Nov 4, 2012 at 7:16pm.
bearsworth is offline   Reply With Quote