Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis

This is a discussion on Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by theblackmamba hi thanks very much i see you do the daily and weekly. doyou treat them both ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:13am   #57

Joined Oct 2010
Re: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis

isatrader started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackmamba View Post
hi thanks very much
i see you do the daily and weekly. doyou treat them both differently? ie if say serco looks good on weekly you wll short it, and if looks a weinstein on daily you open a seperate short?
I would say regarding Serco, the bias is negative, but you missed the breakdown point. So you'd want to wait for the pullback towards that and then watch the daily price action to see if it was failing at resistance, as that would then give you a lower risk entry point as you'd be able to have a tighter initial stop loss above where it failed.

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:31pm   #58
Joined Apr 2003

hi, thanks for your explanations. much appreciated....its a lot more complicated/in depth than i imagined, but it is the way i want to go with my longer term trading..
basically april/may/june 09 was the best time to buy.
theblackmamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:00pm   #59

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
hi, thanks for your explanations. much appreciated....its a lot more complicated/in depth than i imagined, but it is the way i want to go with my longer term trading..
basically april/may/june 09 was the best time to buy.
They were, but the Stage 2A breakout would have been late July once the initial resistance had been breached.

When I started learning this I was seeing stage 2 too early as well. Look at the reference examples of Stage 1B and Stage 2A earlier in the thread here: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/tech...ml#post1698062 and that should give you a better idea what to look for. The method works in reverse as well, so shorting in Stage 4A.

I really recommend getting a copy of the book as it has exercises at the end of each chapter that you do to make sure you understand what you have read properly and I'm happy for you to post charts etc on here as it will help us all learn together.

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

Last edited by isatrader; Nov 28, 2011 at 1:05pm.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:14pm   #60
Joined Apr 2003

looking at the chart i meant july..
do you broadly agree with my chart
Attached Thumbnails
ftse5.png  
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:23pm   #61

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
looking at the chart i meant july..
do you broadly agree with my chart
Yep it looks almost there. Although during the 2010 Stage 3 area on your chart it dipped into Stage 4 briefly and then had a brief stage 1 before breaking out into a new Stage 2.

Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:31pm   #62
Joined Apr 2003

have you got a detailed stage analysis chart including 1a 3a etc etc..i found one the other day but can't find it now..
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:42pm   #63

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
have you got a detailed stage analysis chart including 1a 3a etc etc..i found one the other day but can't find it now..
Here's the breakdown of the stages:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/tech...ml#post1695880

There isn't a diagram showing 1a, 1, 1b etc - just the simple diagram of the four major stages. So how I've been learning the stages is looking at the global trend alert newsletter from 2005 here:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/tech...ml#post1675626

As it has the whole S&P 500's stocks from Feb 2005 stages, plus all the sectors. So you can look back in your own charting software at the hundreds of individual stocks and will then know what to look for better.

Hope that helps