Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis

This is a discussion on Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; What I'd really like to do, is to create a spreadsheet that lists the stages of every major stock and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:04am   #134

Joined Oct 2010
Re: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis

isatrader started this thread What I'd really like to do, is to create a spreadsheet that lists the stages of every major stock and update it maybe once a month as it will be a fairly big task. My focus is the S&P 500, Nasdaq 100 and Commodities, so if anyone wants to do it for the FTSE 100 or FTSE 350 then that would help.

I think to keep it simple and because we aren't experts on the exact mini stages, it would need to be only the four major stages, so it would not include A or B stages or the + and - symbols. So it would just be Stages 1, 2, 3 or 4 - which would then give a good overview of the market and a general watchlist to drill down further into with deeper analysis. It could even be used as a breadth indicator.

Any thoughts on this?

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:31pm   #135
Joined Apr 2003

i quite happy to do the ftse350, but may interpret things wrong...
theblackmamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:54am   #136

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread I've been watching Google (GOOG) for the last few months as it is starting to look interesting to me as it is approaching the 4 year highs. If you look at the price by volume on the side of the point and figure chart you'll see that the majority of volume resistance is now below it. So this could be a good breakout candidate for the method if it breaks to new 4 year highs as it's been consolidating for the last two years. One for the watchlist I think.
Attached Thumbnails
goog_weekly_5_12_11.png   goog_weekly_rs_5_12_11.png   goog_monthly_5_12_11.png  

sharpchartv05-4.png  

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:44am   #137

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread Stage 2 continuation breakout yesterday on YUM.
Attached Thumbnails
yum_weekly_7_12_11.png   yum_weekly_rs_7_12_11.png   sharpchartv05-5.png  

Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:58am   #138
Joined Apr 2003

i presume as it a continuation pattern the intial stop is below the 52.5 support, say 52.2?
theblackmamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:05am   #139

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackmamba View Post
i presume as it a continuation pattern the intial stop is below the 52.5 support, say 52.2?
That would be the investor stop position. But if you were short term trading it, I think you could go tighter below the gap low of 55.62 on the 30/11. So under 55 maybe.

The 200 day ATR is 1.21, so from yesterdays closing price, the 2x ATR(200) is: 58.01 - (2 x 1.21) = 55.59. So I'd personally try to get a price below 57.41 if you were using a stop below 55 to keep within my 2x ATR risk limit on a short term trade.

Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:26am   #140

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread Here's a 60 min point & figure chart that shows the near term support levels the best imo. Good support in the mid 55 area.
Attached Thumbnails
sharpchartv05-7.png