Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis

This is a discussion on Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; I did the scan on the 161 US sectors and had 41 hits. I ordered them with the best relative ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:32pm   #120

Joined Oct 2010
Re: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis

isatrader started this thread I did the scan on the 161 US sectors and had 41 hits. I ordered them with the best relative performance vs the S&P 500 at the top. So I believe according to the method that I'd want to be focusing on the top performing sectors for longs if we manage to break out into a new Stage 2 anytime soon.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Thumbnails
us_sectors_scan_2_12_11.png  

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

Last edited by isatrader; Dec 3, 2011 at 6:39pm.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:35pm   #121
Joined Apr 2003

nice videos. whats your trade management plan with se?

its a shame sharescope doesnt give the us subindecies charts, as there are a lot more of them than uk, and could really narrow it down....maybe il have to get tc2000 again..
theblackmamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:51pm   #122

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackmamba View Post
nice videos. whats your trade management plan with se?

its a shame sharescope doesnt give the us subindecies charts, as there are a lot more of them than uk, and could really narrow it down....maybe il have to get tc2000 again..
Thanks. I see SE as a Stage 2 continuation buy on the weekly chart, while the market is still in Stage 1. So I believe the rules for that are to go fully in on the breakout as it's a traders entry, but then to manage as normal. I personally use point and figure charts to determine an initial target. Which measures the strength of the upmove and projects from that. 49.5 is the current target from the P&F chart attached, so I'd be looking to take half off at that point and sell the remaining half when it becomes Stage 3 again.

Re: your charting software. I just use an end of day software program and I download the data free from yahoo. So no need for expensive software I think.
Attached Thumbnails
sharpchartv05-3.png  

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:01pm   #123

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by lplate View Post
Thanks for your reply on currency, isa.
Thanks for video too - tech always takes more time and effort than you expect!
I study gold just simply on the basis of what I leant from the book and from Alan Saunders, who has studied Weinstein for years. ShareHunter
Weekly I think gold is going sideways, a bit like the stockmarket. http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$GOLD&p=W&yr=3&mn=0&dy=0&id=p91201552877
As I understand it, if you rode the stage 2, then you hold till the break down of stage 3, which would be 1612 or 1535, according to how you view emotional tails. You are holding in the possibility of a continuation up, i.e. on a break of 1900 or 1923, according to how you view emotional wicks.
Daily it looks even less clear, so I can't see the Weinstein interpretation except to leave it alone. Shorter-term traders would be looking at the triangle, and it could go either way. http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$GOLD&p=D&yr=0&mn=6&dy=0&id=p79751426216
What I would "expect", though I would not put money on it until the moves have started, is a break down move out of the triangle on the daily and then an up move on the weekly.
Thanks @lplate, your reply from this morning only just appeared for some reason. Maybe it was the links, but thanks.

I agree 1535 would be the breakdown level currently for moving from Stage 3 to Stage 4, but as it's still Stage 2B at the moment so I think that's a way off yet, as it needs to become Stage 3 first which it could do soon if it can't get back above 1800 and instead breaks back below the recent low of 1667 and the moving average turns down. The lack of volume is also concerning.

Old Dec 4, 2011, 2:22am   #124

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread I found a good interview of Stan on the day on the 1987 crash. Things sound very similar to how they are these days with mentions of automated systems exacerbating moves, margin calls etc. The interview with Stan starts about 4 minutes in.

Last edited by isatrader; Dec 4, 2011 at 2:57am.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:16am   #125

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread Another useful video I've found that talks about stage analysis on different time frames from 2003.

Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:18pm   #126
Joined Apr 2003

nice vids..
i don't see how mased on weeklies he saw the top before the crash?
Attached Thumbnails
sp500.png  
theblackmamba is offline   Reply With Quote