Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis

This is a discussion on Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by goodtyneguy I've also been thinking about the best way to screen for opportunities without having to spend ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:04am   #921

Joined Oct 2010
Re: Breakdowns and Breakouts - S&P 500

isatrader started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtyneguy View Post
I've also been thinking about the best way to screen for opportunities without having to spend hours going through charts. I started with the idea of making lists of the constituents of the strongest and weakest sector SPDR ETFs and then manually go through the charts picking the strongest and weakest stocks respectively. That is how I found the XLF constituents I posted up recently. However the sector ETFs don't include all the stocks in the sectors, it is a bit labourious and the constituents change now and again. I did think about trying to code a screener in PRT for the methods volume characteristics but I think we've established that this is not very reliable now.

Your idea seems to be much better, I presume you are using a screener included in your ProTA package. I don't know anything about P&F charts yet but do you reckon it could be coded into PRT?
I'm actually using the stockcharts screener, as I don't think PRT can identify the P&F breakouts, as P&F in it is more of an afterthought, whereas on stockcharts the site was built as much for P&F as standard charting. So I've setup a custom scan that looks for double top breakouts and double bottom breakdowns that can be done at the end of the day or intraday. But you can only do the custom coded scans if you subscribe to the extra service unfortunately.

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:43am   #922

Joined Oct 2010
Re: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis

isatrader started this thread There was only one breakout today JCP, and 8 breakdowns of which CCL, DQX and HES are of possible interest. CCL is making an early Stage 4 breakdown, but the 30 week MA hasn't turned down yet and it's right on it's 200 day MA as well, hence the early part and so might still rebound. DQX is further through the process and has a declining 30 week MA and negative relative performance and so I'd put as a Stage 3B. HES is a different breakdown though, as it's in early Stage 2 following it's breakout at the start of the year and so this could present a potential pullback entry in the coming weeks if it can hold above the breakout level of around 57. And finally JCP which is attempting to make an early Stage 2 breakout. The 30 week MA is flattening, but it's still below it and it's 200 day MA, and relative performance is still well below the zero line, and there's near term resistance. So it wouldn't be a buy until a close above the 30 week MA and so it's still quite early for it.
Attached Thumbnails
sc-12.png   sc-13.png   sc-14.png  

sc-15.png  

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

Last edited by isatrader; Feb 22, 2013 at 1:49am.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:27pm   #923
Joined Sep 2012

I believe Klockner corp is another classic example of a stage 2 advance on it's very start. For 7 months the price ranged from 6.8 to 8.7 and the last three months it created a smaller base in the 9.2/ 9.6 area. Just 3 days ago price jumped and managed to stay above the 210 Day MA. Volume in the 19th of February is the largest for the last 1 year and a half. Only thing that worries me is the negative relative strength though it seems to be improving somewhat. Chart is an attached word file print screened from prorealtime, sorry but I didn't know how to upload it directly on my thread post. Hope everything is visible :/
Attached Files
File Type: docx ???????3.docx (122.4 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by LiboNZT; Feb 22, 2013 at 3:44pm.
LiboNZT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:05pm   #924

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread There were two breakouts and three breakdowns today in the S&P 500, of which TAP, HPQ, RHT and LTD could be of interest in different stages. Attached is the weekly charts and lists of the weeks six breakouts and sixteen breakdowns:

Week ending 22nd February 2013

Breakouts

Click the image to open in full size.

Breakdowns

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Thumbnails
sc-16.png   sc-17.png   sc-18.png  

sc-19.png   sp500_breakouts_22_2_13.png   sp500_breakdowns_22_2_13.png  

Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:20pm   #925

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiboNZT View Post
I believe Klockner corp is another classic example of a stage 2 advance on it's very start. For 7 months the price ranged from 6.8 to 8.7 and the last three months it created a smaller base in the 9.2/ 9.6 area. Just 3 days ago price jumped and managed to stay above the 210 Day MA. Volume in the 19th of February is the largest for the last 1 year and a half. Only thing that worries me is the negative relative strength though it seems to be improving somewhat. Chart is an attached word file print screened from prorealtime, sorry but I didn't know how to upload it directly on my thread post. Hope everything is visible :/
Hi LiboNZT, Klockner looks like a strong Stage 2 breakout this week and has all the right stuff from the method and so could be a good pick. It just needs to clear the resistance level from early 2012 before it has a clearer run. I've attached my chart of it for you to compare to the examples on here.
Attached Thumbnails
kco_weekly_22-2-13.png  

Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:41pm   #926
Joined Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiboNZT View Post
Hi LiboNZT and welcome to the discussion if it's your first time here.

KCO looks to satisfy most of the requirements for the method. The only thing missing is a means of finding out how strong the group it belongs too is in relation to the market. A good stock will be held back by a poorly performing group. The RS is positive, see my charts, I think you need to reconfigure your settings, see ISAtraders post numbers 875 & 876.

Assuming the group is strong then I pull back to around the BO level is where I'd be looking to get in or a break out above 12.33. Do you know where we can find european sector/group charts?

I use the Paint program that comes with windows operating system to copy my charts before uploading to the thread. Alternatively if you want to post them directly inot the thread you will need to find a host i.e. your own website or you can use a free site like photobucket.com. I find it easier to use the former. This is how:

1) Take a screenshot of your chart by pressing the PRTSC key, on a QWERTY board it is at the top right about four keys in. This puts an image of your chart on your clipboard.
2) Open your Paint program, click start and type "paint" into the search box and then click on the paint icon.
3) Once paint is open click on edit and paste, you should see now see your chart.
4) Cilck on "file" then "save as" a .png file type and save on your desktop. You can close "paint" now, unless you want to copy more charts.
5) Go to the discussion thread and click the reply button then under the reply box click on "manage attachments" in the additional options box. A pop box will appear, on the left side click on one of the "Choose File" buttons and then locate your chart on your desktop. Click on it and then on open in the dialogue box. Once the name of your file appears next to the "choose button" in the pop up click on the upload button and it will appear below listed as current attachments. You can close the pop up now.
6) All the that remains to be done is to add the text to your post then preview it . You should also see your chart, then when happy submit reply.
Attached Thumbnails
kleockner-weekly.jpg   kleockner-daily.jpg  

Last edited by goodtyneguy; Feb 22, 2013 at 11:48pm.
goodtyneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: isatrader
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:46pm   #927

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread I would recommend saving as a .png instead of a .jpg for sharper charts and also smaller files sizes which open quicker and are faster to upload.

Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:49pm   #928
Joined Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by isatrader View Post
I would recommend saving as a .png instead of a .jpg for sharper charts and also smaller files sizes which open quicker and are faster to upload.
That's what I said, diddle I

Just found out SPDR do european sector ETF's.

Last edited by goodtyneguy; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:01am.
goodtyneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: isatrader