All About Trendlines

This is a discussion on All About Trendlines within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Our esteemed FTSEbeater has written: "Trendlines work because everyone sees them and know that the next time price hits that ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:18am   #1

Joined Aug 2004
All About Trendlines

Our esteemed FTSEbeater has written:
"Trendlines work because everyone sees them and know that the next time price hits that level, a reversal should happen, so they either rush to buy or sell depending if it is an uptrend or downtrend."

That's my understanding too. I know that if the price is trending up after a BO, I won't buy until it comes down very near to or touching the trendline. (and the opposite for a downtrend) It seems there really is no other safe entry point. I haven't had many successful trading days - but the few times I did, horizontal Support and Resistance 'S&R' and Trendlines 'TL''s both figured strongly in my decisions.

I've heard other folks say this is complete hogwash. For instance Sulong and Dbphoenix are looking at charts on this thread
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/show...ewpost&t=13013
and our extremely esteemed dbp says *again* that TLs do not provide support or resistance.

Anyone want to discuss the hows and whys of TLs? Are they just coincidental, or do they provide tradeable information?

JO
(Edited to fix a former keyboard spasm (*&eO V9 #Wlkj &^% 9&^% )

Last edited by JumpOff; Jan 3, 2005 at 5:41am. Reason: spelling - typos
JumpOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:23am   #2

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOff
our extremely esteemed dbp says *again* that TLs do provide support resistance.
Make that "do not" . . .

dbphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:39am   #3

Joined Aug 2004
JumpOff started this thread dang it. You can spell check all day, but it won't fix your completely missing typos!
Thanks,
JO
JumpOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:24am   #4
Joined Jul 2003
You only have to look at a channel (a channel is nothing more than a set of trendlines), whether they be flat, heading up or down, to see the phenomenon.

It is the very existence of (i.e. the fact you can visually identify) the channel that pinpoints S & R levels. The channel IS the S &R levels.

Of course, not all S & R levels are channels or trends. There are many other factors that will establish S &R levels. For instance, previous Highs & Lows in various timeframes will establish useful S & R levels.

To press the point, even a single (but well used) MA such as the 5, 14, 22, 50 or 200 period etc will serve to act as potential S or R precisely because so many traders treat them as such.

You can pick pretty much any chart at random an observe this effect.
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:02am   #5
Joined Mar 2004
Sorry guys,

After much study, I'm with dbp on this.

S & R is buying and selling, therefore only price matters, not a line or MA. If all traders used the same MA or lines then there could be preceived S&R, but they don't.

In the majority of cases, its the prices to the left that are significant to traders( how many are up and how many are down, enough to cause a major exodus ?) and therefore influence S & R.

However where these levels and a trendline cross, can give extra confirmation. OTOH where S or R is found before a TL, this also gives you information relating to trend change and strength.

But the great one isn't always right, he can't be, and somewhere somehow I'll prove him wrong.

Someday, maybe,

Porks.
Porks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 12:21pm   #6
Joined Jul 2003
OK Porks, no point beating this one to death, but all I'm saying is if we treat Support and Resistance as potential areas for a pause or reversal or continuation (yes, I know I'm covering the entire range of possibilities) - which is how I treat/trade them - then a trendline does serve the purpose of defining S & R. Even a wobbly trendline we call an MA.

If there's an uptrending line which the price has 'bumped' off, retraced from and risen up to meet again more than a couple of times, isn't that potentially tradeable information?

I think maybe the problem some folk have is in their 'need' for S & R to exist ONLY at fixed horizontal price levels rather than to consider them as a potentially dynamic phenomenon.

But just because I choose this perspective or interpretation and manage to trade it successfully, doesn't mean anyone else can or will. I accept that.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 12:34pm   #7

Joined May 2003
Beats me how anyone who studies charts with any regularity can fail to see that trnedlines provide support and resistance. Every time? No. But then what in trading works everytime. But that's just my observation, they work for me and that's all I care about. As u say no point in beating it to death.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:27pm   #8

Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBramble
You only have to look at a channel (a channel is nothing more than a set of trendlines), whether they be flat, heading up or down, to see the phenomenon.

It is the very existence of (i.e. the fact you can visually identify) the channel that pinpoints S & R levels. The channel IS the S &R levels.

Of course, not all S & R levels are channels or trends. There are many other factors that will establish S &R levels. For instance, previous Highs & Lows in various timeframes will establish useful S & R levels.

To press the point, even a single (but well used) MA such as the 5, 14, 22, 50 or 200 period etc will serve to act as potential S or R precisely because so many traders treat them as such.

You can pick pretty much any chart at random an observe this effect.

mmm, isn't a channel just a rising rectangle? The old supply and demand lesson from first year economics seems to explain both well enough.

You will see that when the price is at the resistance level there's a maximum number of sellers who want to sell but there are no buyers - ergo the sellers must offer down to attract buyers and at each step there are fewer who want to sell at the reduced price and more who want to buy til you get to the opposite extreme (support) where everyone wants to buy but nobody wants to sell.

At a price of 40 you will see there are about 12 buyers and 20 sellers willing to trade - I've not drawn the scale properly but you get the idea. The crossover point where buyers=sellers at halfway 'twixt support and resistance maybe explains why fib50% works when you think of a channel as a rising rectangle.

For me the lesson points up one of the problems in working with volume. Volume bars tell you a lot about supply and demand at a given price but little about what people waiting in the wings want to do - but that's another story for a different thread

good trading

jon
Attached Thumbnails
econ.gif  
barjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Peter Coupland
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:01pm   #9
Joined Jul 2003
Are you trying to wrong-foot me by agreeing with me in a way that doesn't directly relate to what I was saying or disagreeing in way which I can't respond to for the same reason?

(Please don't answer "Yes." because that simply wont be very funny - either...)
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:24pm   #10
Joined Dec 2003
barjon

"isn't a channel just a rising rectangle? "
Isn't that like saying that a circle is a straight line drawn at 360 degrees!

I was under the impression that a support or resistance level was a point at which the price had reached on more than one occasion and had moved away from it. By its form a trend line will not permit the price to hit the same point more than once. That is unless we are prepared to accept that a base or rectangle is a horizontal trendline in which case we are getting into semantics which I do not want to do.

Regards

bracke
bracke is offline   Reply With Quote