Stochastics Settings

This is a discussion on Stochastics Settings within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Can someone that uses stochastics please help me. I 've been playing around and modifying the settings for a "smoothed ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 15, 2004, 1:01am   #1

1 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Stochastics Settings

Can someone that uses stochastics please help me.

I 've been playing around and modifying the settings for a "smoothed out" slow stochastics settings. I was at one of the free previews for "Teach Me To Trade" a few years back, and they had a nice "smoothed out " curve.

Does someone know what parameters they used or can someone recommend some effective parameters to "smooth out" the stochastics.

I appreciate any response.

Thank you.
OneSport3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:54am   #2
Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSport3
Can someone that uses stochastics please help me.

I 've been playing around and modifying the settings for a "smoothed out" slow stochastics settings. I was at one of the free previews for "Teach Me To Trade" a few years back, and they had a nice "smoothed out " curve.

Does someone know what parameters they used or can someone recommend some effective parameters to "smooth out" the stochastics.

I appreciate any response.

Thank you.

It is not just a question of smoothing out the stochs, but also whether such smoothing produces meaningful signals. Having said that, one can attempt to use a single setting (e.g., (13, 3, 3), (21, 13, 8), etc.) that will produce acceptable results for various markets and time frames. Or you can optimize for specific markets and time freams. The route you take might also depend on whether or not you intend to use them by themselves or in conjuction with other studies (recommended, imo).
culion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:34pm   #3
Joined Jan 2004
I have been using regular stochastic, not the slow (which is too slow), 21 3 for medium term and 5,3 for short term. Both work very well.
GruntnoWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:50am   #4

Joined Jun 2004
A successful day trader I knew used 20, 12, 9. Nice smooth result, but I haven't managed to repeat his success. He used to target divergences which would give him c30 point moves.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:28am   #5
Joined Sep 2003
I like to use 14,3,3,SlowD on a 5min DAX chart mixed with price action. I find on a monthly basis it gives consistent results (most of the time). Doesn't look too bad either on the Mini Dow, Stoxx50 and ES Mini, but they need more work.
IMHO I think you should stick to one setting and work with it rather than keep optimising.

Cheers
C
cd173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:35pm   #6
Joined Jan 2004
I agree that optimising is a waste of time. I do find that the standard settings of 21,3 and 5,3 are best. You opnly need 3 periods for the slow stochastic which I don't use.
GruntnoWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:36pm   #7
Joined Sep 2003
GruntoWay

May I ask what you trade and what time frame you use?
I've found that stochastics on a very short time frame can be too 'whippy' whatever the settings!

C
cd173 is offline   Reply With Quote