macd vs. stochastics

This is a discussion on macd vs. stochastics within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by eegozi Thanks...I am no expert but it is my favorite indicator. Shochastic is my favorite because I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:41am   #8

Joined Oct 2008
Re: macd vs. stochastics

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegozi View Post
Thanks...I am no expert but it is my favorite indicator.
Shochastic is my favorite because I totally understand what it can do on different time frames and different values within that time frame, but I can see where MACD can do that as well.
JahDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:02am   #9
Joined May 2011

jamesj188 started this thread I find macd ok. I actually pay good attention to that histogram!
And yes, there are a lot of ways to look at it and get something out of it like egozi was explaining.
I dont find stochastic useful at all though.

By the way, entr is looking good, gona hit $9.5 level by end of this week, no problem. I even bought a few grand extra early morning today.

Thanks again for the comments )

btw, anyone use any studies on volume besides volume itself? like money flow index or something else???

Last edited by jamesj188; Jun 29, 2011 at 10:50am.
jamesj188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 4:18pm   #10
Joined Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegozi View Post
One more thing...I use those multiple time frames and want to see a BULLISH divergence on BOTH time frames at the same time. I want the histogram on the weekly to point up but be below 0 (but just about to cross up)and the MACD fastline to just start curling up. When this coincides with a BULLISH divergence on the daily charts and the histogram is also showing bullishness then you have a nice potential trade on your hands.

Check out the weekly and daily charts on the $SPX (S&P 500) on the first few days on 9-2010 as an example of what I mean. Even look at the weekly and daily in mid 3-2009. You will see matching bullish divergemces. You will see that the daily is more important to follow early in the trend and as the trend matures the weekly also goes above the 0 line. That is a strong trend and one to ride until the weekly then says the trend is weakening. When the weekly MACD fastline is above 0 and rising ignore the daily MACD except to use as buying opportunity until it matches the weekly MACD fastline turning down to sginal end of the trend.

These are just my thoughts and how I use MACD and the histograms on mutiple time frames. So as always explore for yourself and take it with a grain of salt from some guy online who you have never met...

Good Luck.
Hi eegozi,
Which Histogram you referring to, a volume one? How does work with being over?
Thanks fro your help.
dlatt2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:44am   #11
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlatt2w View Post
Hi eegozi,
Which Histogram you referring to, a volume one? How does work with being over?
Thanks fro your help.
I am referring to the MACD Histogram (in any time frame). When the Histogram is above 0 then by definition you have a MACD fastline signal cross. But of more importance in my opinion is if the MACD fastline is above the 0 line.
eegozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:55am   #12
Joined Nov 2010

got you, Thanks
dlatt2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:36am   #13
Joined Jan 2008

I use the standard 12-26-9 MACD on a 2min chart of the YM. Amazing how price behaves dancing around a 9EMA with the MACD crosses to tell me when to get in. If I stick to buying/selling at the 9EMA, or waiting for price to retrace to the 9EMA, it works so well with MACD crosses.
I watch a 10Min chart with it's own MACD to tell me direction.
IanMacQuaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:50am   #14
Joined Jan 2011

I had a macd tonight. I enjoyed it, but now I feel dirty.
Pazienza is offline   Reply With Quote