Moving Average

This is a discussion on Moving Average within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Can the Moving Average really give an accurate indication of the trend on a particular timescale ?...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:19pm   #1

8 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Moving Average

Can the Moving Average really give an accurate indication of the trend on a particular timescale ?
victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:40pm   #2
TWI

Joined Jan 2004
depends how you interpret it
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:45pm   #3

7 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor
Can the Moving Average really give an accurate indication of the trend on a particular timescale ?
Hi Victor.
I am not sure if this answers your question, but here is my idea about M/As. Yes, they do indicate the direction of a trend in whatever timescale you are observing, but so do many other tools. Best of which is "PRICE". A M/A dilutes the information contained in PRICE and maybe makes it easier for the human eye / mind to intrepret.
Of course no moving average of any type will give an indication on whether a trend will continue.
Maybe used with other tools it could be a useful component of an approach or method, but this is going to be more of a function of the trader utilising the approach as opposed to any benefits that M/As may offer.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 4:11pm   #4
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
It can indeed, provided of course that the time period concerned is in the past and not the future. Moving averages in combination with other moving averages and/or in combination with other technical parameters and other interpretation based on understanding the price-movement tendencies of the particular security concerned can give varying degrees of probability of trend continuation in the future too, but certainly not an "accurate indication". IMHO.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:14pm   #5

Joined Jul 2002
The treastie of MA has to be kaufman "Trading Systems and Methods." & "Smarter Trading" - like most things they just give an indicator (i.e. read the chart in front of you )

"$100 INVESTED AT 7% INTEREST FOR ONE HUNDRED
YEARS WILL BECOME $100,000 AT WHICH TIME
IT WILL BE ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS "
JJL3142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:48pm   #6
Joined Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto
It can indeed, provided of course that the time period concerned is in the past and not the future. .

Roberto, you HAVE to tell me who you get your datafeed from.....
TheBramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:18am   #7
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBramble

Roberto, you HAVE to tell me who you get your datafeed from.....
What do you mean, Brambly one?
I seem to be the one without brains tonight ...
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:21am   #8

Joined Dec 2002
I think he's referring (and DO stop me if I'm mistaken Tony, but I think I'm on safe ground here <g>) that a non-past time based MA must be based in the future, and for you to consider that it might exist in such a matter of fact manner suggests we could all benefit hugely from subscribing to whichever data supplier you are getting this future price feed from.....
DaveJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:28am   #9
Joined Jul 2003
Spot On Dave.

A futurological MA would certainly shift my averages....
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:42am   #10
Joined Aug 2004
Sorry, I'm being very thick, Tony. But either I've misunderstood you or you've misunderstood me. I think you are making the same point that I was trying to make in my reply to Victor.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:51am   #11
Joined Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto
Sorry, I'm being very thick, Tony. But either I've misunderstood you or you've misunderstood me. I think you are making the same point that I was trying to make in my reply to Victor.
Well it's come full circle then, as I knew it would.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:56am   #12
Joined Aug 2004
I'm beginning to think that - in the words of a certain Professor of Classics who, secretly, was sadly unable to translate substantial proportions of the original Greek - "the passage loses more than it gains from an excessively detailed analysis".
Old Oct 12, 2004, 1:12am   #13

Joined Dec 2002
I had a bottle of that once, but I couldn't finish it.
(Sorry, I like to obscure moments like this with an inappropriate observation that adds little but extra confusion - it's a hobby of mine.)
Dave
DaveJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 1:22am   #14
Joined Jul 2003
Fish
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:18am   #15

2 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Quote:
It can give you a pretty good idea, but is unfortunately still a lagging indicator, so whipsaws are a painful reality here. It works nice however as a tool in you Technical Analysis but not a great on shorter term trading signals.

Last edited by rossored; Oct 15, 2004 at 4:45pm. Reason: advertising
jade is offline   Reply With Quote