Tom DeMark Indicators

This is a discussion on Tom DeMark Indicators within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Does anyone have any experience of using these indicators? Bloomberg are starting to plug them but don't have any helpfiles ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:18pm   #1

9 Posts
Joined May 2004
Tom DeMark Indicators

Does anyone have any experience of using these indicators? Bloomberg are starting to plug them but don't have any helpfiles on them or allow you to backtest them

www.tomdemark.com says :

Simply put, Tom DeMark is a scientific genius! Like the geniuses of times past, Tom has no time for niceties, for protocol, for normal human courtesies. Such things only get in the way of his creativity.To recognize Tomís genius for trading and research, youíll need to view him in a whole new light. Heís different. He spends his days totally immersed in his passion---making profits through ingenious trading techniques. He has no other focus. Helping other people make money is his life. Itís what he lives for.

But just because his marketing people went over the top doesn't mean that there isn't something there...
Blangis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:25pm   #2

Joined Feb 2003
How much £££$$$$ does he like helping people?
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:32pm   #3

9 Posts
Joined May 2004
Blangis started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatman
How much £££$$$$ does he like helping people?
He offers 8 TA modules for about $600 each, so he is a real philanthropist! I'm certainly not considering buying anything from him as BB give access to all his analytics, but I was wondering if they were any use... According to the hyperbole on his website George Soros, Paul Tudor Jones and others take him seriously.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:33pm   #4

Joined Oct 2003
I have been using Tom Demarks sequential and gus is a big fan of Tom Demarks stuff. I have recently order one of his books.

The stuff he does is pretty good, but they are only an indication, also there is no indication of when to exit markets (stop or limits), so you have to work these out yourself. I have found his Sequential indicator is most usefull when trading options and digital options. I will post here with my opinions of his book when it eventually arrives, but Im sure Gus can give you a lot more information.

His sequential system basically counts bars, so for a short trade you would look for 9 consecutive bars with a close higher than the bar 4 periods earlier. Once setup is complete you then countdown 13 bars (not consecutive) that are higher than 2 bars earlier. The 13th bar gives a signal, and you then either trade immediately (high risk) or wait for a until the price is lower than the price 2 or 4 bars earlier (or something like that).

If you do a search on Tom Demark Sequential you will usually find something useful.
adrianallen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 2:53pm   #5

9 Posts
Joined May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianallen99
I have been using Tom Demarks sequential and gus is a big fan of Tom Demarks stuff. I have recently order one of his books.

The stuff he does is pretty good, but they are only an indication, also there is no indication of when to exit markets (stop or limits), so you have to work these out yourself. I have found his Sequential indicator is most usefull when trading options and digital options. I will post here with my opinions of his book when it eventually arrives, but Im sure Gus can give you a lot more information.

His sequential system basically counts bars, so for a short trade you would look for 9 consecutive bars with a close higher than the bar 4 periods earlier. Once setup is complete you then countdown 13 bars (not consecutive) that are higher than 2 bars earlier. The 13th bar gives a signal, and you then either trade immediately (high risk) or wait for a until the price is lower than the price 2 or 4 bars earlier (or something like that).

If you do a search on Tom Demark Sequential you will usually find something useful.
Thanks Adrian.

TD Sequential 1 minute, and TD combo 1 minute have just signalled a short on the FTSE at 4508. Let's see how it pans out.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:34pm   #6

9 Posts
Joined May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blangis
Thanks Adrian.

TD Sequential 1 minute, and TD combo 1 minute have just signalled a short on the FTSE at 4508. Let's see how it pans out.
Close and reverse given at 4499.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 4:34pm   #7

9 Posts
Joined May 2004
Blangis started this thread Short Nasdaq 100 from 1484.8. TD 1 minute sequential gave short signal at 1475.53 but TD combo 1 minute did not confirm. Both gave short signal at 1484.8. If I am interpreting it correctly, price target is 1471.

Last edited by Blangis; Jun 18, 2004 at 5:48pm.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 4:56pm   #8
TGM
Joined Aug 2004
Blangis,

How is Tom DeMark working for you? How is it going? You using it on bloomberg? You are using the sequential and combo together?
TGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 3:37pm   #9

Joined Jan 2003
I've read a Demark book - sounded good but also a little far fetched. I can't believe the market can fit into perfect patterns of 13 consecutive up bars etc. Just doesn't feel right - you know?
Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 7:41pm   #10

Joined Mar 2003
there are demark indecators on prophet.net.input the stock or the index and see.otherwise input the strategies into metastock.i have read the book.its been in the garden shed for the last two years.very tempted to put it in the bonfire on friday
dentist007 is offline   Reply With Quote