Anyone has experience with mobile broadband near Liverpool Street?

This is a discussion on Anyone has experience with mobile broadband near Liverpool Street? within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; I now am too often in that area and I cant use local network to access my home PC. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:00pm   #1

Joined Apr 2008
Anyone has experience with mobile broadband near Liverpool Street?

I now am too often in that area and I cant use local network to access my home PC.

I want a reliable connection by air at about 40kbps speed. For security reasons I dont want to use free City Wi-fi.

I tried to use my Orange phone but its data service really suck. Although the phone shows 3G+ it takes 1min to download one email with several connection faults.

Had anyone problem like mine? What would be a solution? Shall I try other networks mobile broadbands or is it something wrong with the actual location? Or if I access Orange data through laptop dongle it will work much better?
maxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:17pm   #2

Joined Jan 2007
Re: Anyone has experience with mobile broadband near Liverpool Street?

I would recommend you set up a VPN to your connection at home and do use the cloud or some similar wi fi service, will be quicker than even properly working mobile broadband...
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:09pm   #3
Joined Dec 2009

Hi Maxima, I live in Hoxton/Shoreditch area. I use a 3 Broadband dongle, due to all the blocks in this area. Hope this helps...
dominationFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:58pm   #4
Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxima View Post
I now am too often in that area and I cant use local network to access my home PC.

I want a reliable connection by air at about 40kbps speed. For security reasons I dont want to use free City Wi-fi.

I tried to use my Orange phone but its data service really suck. Although the phone shows 3G+ it takes 1min to download one email with several connection faults.

Had anyone problem like mine? What would be a solution? Shall I try other networks mobile broadbands or is it something wrong with the actual location? Or if I access Orange data through laptop dongle it will work much better?
Hi Max - I work near liverpool st - I use a t-mobile pay as you go dongle - works a treat.
dealer911 is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:01pm   #5

Joined Apr 2008

maxima started this thread thank you guys. I think I am going to try T-mobile, 3 and vodafone one by one. I think most if not all are offering 14 days return.

Arabian.. there is no doubt that wifi connection will be faster and more reliable. the problem is that windows (and I use windows since its birth and I hate linux) is a pure black hole in security. you should be a skilled IT engineer and be always on alert to keep it water-tight.

One mistake and your system is hacked faster than you say "f@ck!". The hacker would not necesserely understand the value of the information but he will sell it further and sooner or later it will find someone who would.

That speed doesnt worth the risk believe me.
maxima is offline   Reply With Quote