Do computers slow down with age?

This is a discussion on Do computers slow down with age? within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; Originally Posted by Ingot54 A I run a Mac generally - and there is none of this rubbish! ......MAC was ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:19pm   #17

Joined Jan 2003
Re: Do computers slow down with age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingot54 View Post
A

I run a Mac generally - and there is none of this rubbish!

......MAC was always miles ahead of Billy Boy's DOS in every sense....although I use Win for some apps demanded by our Clients for CAD and graphics, we typically use MAC now on all stations....and run VMWare Fusion 3 to run all windows apps on a MAC....

Mackintiosh released in 1884 has wysiwyg screen when people were using DOS 1.9 I think.....And even today Windows 7 is trying very hard to copy OS Snow Leopard....!

...I have MacBookPro 17in customized with faster drive....and use both MAC and Windows on a single machine in real time....no rebooting to go from one to the other...

...Best of both world....with Windows ditched into oblivion on long run.....!

Windows is simply NO match for MAC...!

The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar.
Evelyn Waugh.
zambuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:20pm   #18
Joined Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Yes, exactly. I had been using CCleaner previously anyway, but became suspicious that perhaps something on the software side was slowing things up anyway.

As you said, I formatted the hard drive, installed windows and loaded up software from scratch again. I was a bit disappointed that (subjectively) it seemed no different from before.

Perhaps software gets more resource hungry as it get revised as has been suggested, or perhaps it's just my memory playing tricks on me.
I researched and got an advice from the net regarding using Advanced System Care to clean up my 2 computers and the software really did the job for me. The less powerful one with only 1 Gb memory had lost about 75% of the speed after I'd installed and removed the various investment software during a 2 years period. Advanced System Care help me to regain the 2/3 of the speed that it'd lost.

It was just 2 weeks ago, I've convert into Pro version for one of my 2 desktop. try to see if you could have a good experience as mine, please let us know if you do.
songcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:25pm   #19

Joined Jan 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0007 View Post
Did you mean (run) msconfig.exe ? That certainly is of this Millenium & is very useful !
....I think NetTecture is probably saying that one nowadays should not have to tweak files like we used to in past...remember Autoecec.bat and Confid.sys...that needed tweaking to run flight sim....?

The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar.
Evelyn Waugh.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:55pm   #20

Joined Jun 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambuck View Post
....I think NetTecture is probably saying that one nowadays should not have to tweak files like we used to in past...remember Autoecec.bat and Confid.sys...that needed tweaking to run flight sim....?
Yes! Absolutely agree with the sentiment. But if you take a look via msconfig.exe it's quite surprising how much unnecessary software is running - all consuming resources. Much of it is put there when programs are first installed, and constantly checks for updates etc etc.

I found the best system to keep my PC running sweetly is to install the minimum programs I need, play with msconfig.exe until I've got it right, take an image (Acronis is good for this - but there are plenty of other utilities)and reinstall the image if ever needed. This is much quicker than formatting and subsequent reload of individual software.

By using firewalls (ISP, router,PCs), anti-virus software and strict control of cookies I've had no problems for years (famous last words!). This is probably elementary stuff to computer geeks but I can remember the days when everything about PCs was a mystery.

As somebody has already remarked (I think) computer hardware does not slow-up with age and reinstall of the original software should produce original performance.

Computer performance is very much software-dependent. Writing efficient software is very difficult and it is much easier (and cheaper) to produce lesser software which depends on sheer computer brute force processing powerand lots of memory. No problem with that of course - the customer loves to pay extra for fancy software as long as it's got a snazzy interface.

It all helps to keep the wheels of business turning!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:21pm   #21

Joined Jan 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0007 View Post

Writing efficient software is very difficult and it is much easier (and cheaper) to produce lesser software which depends on sheer computer brute force processing powerand lots of memory. No problem with that of course - the customer loves to pay extra for fancy software as long as it's got a snazzy interface.

It all helps to keep the wheels of business turning!

This is very true....software writing before circa Win 3.0 days used to be coded well to take into account the hardware limitations and was designed to run as fast as possible utilizing the available hardware....I remember using CAD software that used to run like a rocket on DOS...even on 386 machine...!...Most bugs were ironed out before release....Not now.......and then came Win 3.00...and suddenly all software got very lethargic, and slowed down in use.....it is released fully bug laden...relying on feedback and guinea pigs to find them so chaps at 1 MS Way can resolve them...!

Windows is noted to produce very heavy software that just relies on brute hardware....if you haven't got it, tough luck is their approach...!

Compared to that every application on MAC appears light and responsive...no temps to delete....no defrag necessary....no virus - yet...UNIX is a lot better..

I think there is a lot be said for 'computing' industry who supplies both - hardware and software packages together as a 'computer...That's the way I think that both - software and hardware can be designed to complement each other.....rather than here is a software....just plonk it into anything that is called a PC....!

Evelyn Waugh.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:28pm   #22

Joined Jun 2005

Quote:
...Most bugs were ironed out before release....Not now.......and then came Win 3.00...and suddenly all software got very lethargic, and slowed down in use.....it is released fully bug laden...relying on feedback and guinea pigs to find them so chaps at 1 MS Way can resolve them...!
Wasn't this system of "customer testing" first developed by British Leyland aka Rover with their wonderful cars? Why waste money on R&D when the customer will do it for you for free!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:34pm   #23

Joined Jan 2003

.....Oh there are many other 'creative' approach to Industry like these in Thatcher years....!!...But it is another subject....!

Evelyn Waugh.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:48pm   #24

Joined Jan 2007

Quote:
.....Oh there are many other 'creative' approach to Industry like these in Thatcher years....!!...But it is another subject....!

Without Thatcher where would ARM be?
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote