Lycos free charts

This is a discussion on Lycos free charts within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; Anybody else using the Lycos free Live charts? If so, have you had increasing problems with the page disappearing,ie being ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 21, 2003, 9:49pm   #1

Joined Apr 2002
Angry Lycos free charts

Anybody else using the Lycos free Live charts?

If so, have you had increasing problems with the page disappearing,ie being cut off, with the message that the server has been reset. This has been getting worse, and today in particular was very bad.

From what I can make out, it seems the goalposts may have been changed, as at the top of the charts it says, this is a demo. And further states it is only for 14 days.

Up till now have had no probs. with free live charts, but am wondering if they are trying to get everyone to pay for one of their packages instead.
Any views appreciated.
Kevin
mercury7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 11:37pm   #2
AC1

9 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
I subscribed to livecharts for about a year (1999-2000). Back then, the only technical difference between subscribing and not subscribing was that you had 3 sizes of chart to choose from.

Reliability did not improve with a subscription. It would still frequently disconnect/lag.

I expect nothing's changed. I still like the quick & easy access of livecharts. If only they could make it reliable.
AC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2003, 11:50pm   #3

Joined Nov 2002
I haven't used Livecharts in a long time so can't comment on its reliability, but I have just received an email informining I only have 14 days left of my free trial
mmillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:00am   #4

Joined Nov 2000
I'm not one to moan at others penny pinching, but,........ surely the low cost of Sierra Charts can be afforded by all to get reliable professional charts? It has to be worth it just to relieve the aggrovation of unreliability.Surely you want something you can rely on? What if your trading platform behaved this way?
The views expressed here are my personal views and for your information only. Any expression of likely movement of a share is merely guesswork and is to be treated as such.This information must NOT be used as a basis for making any investment decision.
ChartMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:26pm   #5

Joined Nov 2000
It never ceases to amaze me how some people are prepared to throw hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds into the stock market, yet appear far too stingy to pay for the tools needed to trade, ie a feed!

LiveCharts costs $9.95 per month (yes, just £6.33) plus real time exchange fees ($1 per month for each US stock exchange, ie 65p).

If you want to do a job, you need tools. As ChartMan says, you can always go for Sierra charts from www.sierrachart.com and that will cost you around £36 per month.

If anyone cannot afford to buy the tools for the job, perhaps they shouldn't be trading?
Skimbleshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 3:26pm   #6

Joined Apr 2002
Lycos -Thanks for help

mercury7 started this thread Thanks AC1 for your positive comments regarding Lycos, much apprreciated. Am thinking of going for their $20 p,m option, and see if it is more reliable.
As you say mmillar, if you have received an e-mail telling you that your 14 days is up, it confirms what I thought, that their system has changed.

Thanks skimbleshanks-NOT- for your unhelpful and rude contribution, my question was simple and to the point, and directed at people who use this Lycos service.
I trust that when I reach the dizzy heights of being able to afford direct access trading or perhaps understand Level2 trading, I will not put people down who know less than myself.
I have found so far all the members on this board most helpful - excluding you.
If I shouldn't be trading, perhaps you should not be writing messages!
Old Apr 22, 2003, 5:10pm   #7

Joined Dec 2002
OH !!!!!!!! I Think that last post was uncalled for KEVIN ( would it not have been better for you to ask Skim to give the details of the $9.95 feed instead of the $20 one that you are thinking of going for )
be-positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2003, 5:44pm   #8

Joined Nov 2000
Not a personal dig from either of us I don't think, just that it makes sense to invest in something "professional". Note AC1 says that even subscribing didn't improve matters. BullishBear has just subscribed to lycos, I'll let you know how he gets on.... or maybe he'll post himself. The difference between Lycos and Sierra is about as far apart as you can get in terms of features etc.
The views expressed here are my personal views and for your information only. Any expression of likely movement of a share is merely guesswork and is to be treated as such.This information must NOT be used as a basis for making any investment decision.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 6:01pm   #9

Joined Apr 2002
Lycos charts

mercury7 started this thread Many thanks Chartman, I would like to know how BullishBear gets on with his subscription, that will influence my decision.

I realize that the system I am using at present is not ideal, but in the circumstances, and the reliability so far, it has not been too bad, together with using prophet finance's charts on the screen at the same time, which may not be state of the art, admittedly, but I guess we all have to start somewhere.

I take your point re-Sierra, and this may be the answer.

Thanks Kevin
Old Apr 22, 2003, 8:16pm   #10

Joined Nov 2000
I'd go along with that- we all started with nothing, scratching freebies as we went along.
I'll keep you informed re BB and Lycos.