Mac vs PC

This is a discussion on Mac vs PC within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; What's the general T2W consensus? After my latest laptop problem, I'm thinking its time for a change.......

View Poll Results: Mac or a PC
Apple 48 57.14%
Microsoft 36 42.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:04am   #1

Joined Aug 2003
Question Mac vs PC

What's the general T2W consensus? After my latest laptop problem, I'm thinking its time for a change....
wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:41am   #2

Joined Sep 2003
Your only mistake was the OS.

I love PCs (have disliked MACs since I owned a LISA).

But keep control (why I hate macs) so use XP, use Acronis, don't use anything you don't understand. I spend an hour completely rebuilding my PC ever month so its 100% under my control and runs like a scalded cat
nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:21am   #3

Joined Jul 2007
Are Macs really that good? And why no viruses? There's a challenge for virus writers everywhere, surely?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:35am   #4

Joined Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post
Are Macs really that good? And why no viruses? There's a challenge for virus writers everywhere, surely?
we've got both...

Mac book crashed after one year (conveniently just after the warranty had expired) ..needed a new hard drive (mac said "one of those things") also battery dead after one year.

Laptop (acer) has run fine for 2 years - suddenly died yesterday!

Also 2 desktops (one new and one 7 years old) still runing tho the old one needs a lot of maintenance for trouble free operation.

Personally I like MACS and put the MAcbook experience down as "a bad egg"

However MACS are also much more expensive than PC of similar power and spec...
plus there's the software issue - once you have had PC's and change to MAC you have to reinvest in new software - adding to costs.

Like any "niche" producer MAC now becoming more popular oustide the "creative" group it has attracted in past - and most components now made in China - I think they "assemble in the USA"..so I guess reliablility is dependent on that...

my 2c...sorry not very helpful...
catracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:17am   #5

Joined Jun 2005
Im actually looking for a new laptop and asked my neighbour who works in the computer software side of the industry. He tells me to get a Mac as they can now run a Microsoft operating system as well as the Mac system so you can just switch between the two.

Never headr of that before. Still dont think i'll be buying a Mac though.

And as somebody else pointed out to me on T2W.

THE WISEST MAN LEARNS BY HIS AND OTHER PEOPLES MISTAKES...................

Is diarrhoea hereditory or does it just run in your genes
gedward3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:26am   #6

Joined Jun 2005
PCs for me!

PC Pro mag did a comparison PC vs Mac last April. Can't find a printed version but the podacast is here: PC Pro: News: Hot Topics: Download the new PC Pro podcast today! As far as i can remember the PC advantages well outweighed the Mac.

As far as I'm concerned, the main reasons for buying a Mac are:
1. It's a cult thing
2. You don't like Bill Gates
3. You've got loads of money & like fashion items
4. You don't expect it to go wrong and have to fix it yourself
5. You like having a limited range of software.
6. You're an artist /graphic designer where "trade rules" insist on Macs

I've got PCs - dead cheap and no problems!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:22pm   #7

Joined Nov 2003
PC and Mircosoft operating system.......all that free software......well tried and tested, reliable easy to fix, upgrade, replace, compatability.........its really is good stuff
finally a huge % of the world runs on it.....
wheezergeezer is offline   Reply With Quote